Rednecks On Bikes

Good morning all!! Just recovering from a dam_n good Samui Bike weekend....... Then I read this:(

Dear oh dear. The usual bigoted rubbish from old age pensioners who don't like other people having a good time. OK. Some riders might have been a little over exhuberent . I'd much rather hear a loud bike for a few seconds than daily continual "get the seat earlier. get the seat earlier".

This weekend brought business to Samui (hotels, bars, restaurants), raised money for charity and raised awareness that Samui is a great place to visit. Apart from "Red Necks" who complain about it..... :)

Next time I'm on Samui I'll come to your bar, wait until you're talking to someone then yell in your ear for 5-10 seconds. I'm sure you'd be fine with that. :D

btw - One of my friends is the president of one of the biker clubs. I'm not against bikes, I just don't like the noise they make.

You are welcome to our bar / clubhouse. Every 30 minuutes you would have to yell over the noise of trucks blaring "Super fight, Super fight", Q Bar, Ice Bar, Black noon parties". Yelling in my ear for no reason might get a rather terse response!

"I'm not against bikes. I just don't like the noise they make". is like saying "I'm not against old people. I just don't like how much it costs to keep them alive" or "'I'm not against people having a good time. I just don't like them enjoying themselves".

I know all the Presidents of the Bike Clubs here on Samui (as I'm one myself) am I'm surprised he'd be your friend if you are so blinkered in your thinking. :D

"blinkered" in my thinking? Someone who doesn't like loud noises for no reason (that's that these bikes are when crusing down the poor Samui roads, be honest) suffers from blinkered thinking? It seems to me the blinkered thinking is "I have a loud bike and if I want to cruise around and disturb everyone they must respect my freedom! Yeah!"

A basic rule of thumb is "one person's rights end where someone else's begin". I would guess that you don't agree with that.

Considering you live in Dubai and not here, and it neither effects or concerns you, why are you so disparaging about what residents of Samui and other parts of Thailand do with their time? It might add it's Samui bike "week" and seven days allowing some bike enthusiasts to have a good time isn't much to ask.

What can you do, Rooo?

Hey, that rhymes... wiki wiki wiki...

Rooo,

Ban him for one week, he is using quotes from the film Slammin Salmon.

I'm going to use a button marked x SOLUTION dying to see what it does. Hmmmm on second thoughts naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Some people on hear need to lighten up. This is Samui. Live and let live.

There's noise pollution everywhere not only from bikes... It's up to you to decides whether you make it in to a problem for yourself or not, you have the choice, you can get angry or chose to just take it as part of being here...

What about the trucks that drive around with tannoy systems, "Lady and Gentleman, tonight, tonight, get the seat earlier, get the seat earlier.."

or the girls that scream "masaaage" as you drive by,

or the planes flying over head,

or the rather loud gecko's or the porch,

or the old banger trucks with no exhausts at all,

or the jetski's out at sea,

or the music blaring from the local wat when an event is on,

Yesterday was fun for a lot of people. :D

Matt.

it is a tourist island. this is why people come here to have fun. this ain't Hong Kong or london. if it wasn't for toursists then most peoples income would be dead and considering thailand depends on 6% of its income from tourist. it is in Thailands interest to keep them happy. What is the alternative. get a big park and then put no ball games sign up.

get a shooting range with no guns.

have a party with the music on low.

have all the ladys who work in the bars where long skirts.

The answer is simple if u don't like it. leave. these are toursist islands and business islands. Not complaining islands.

:)

Some people on hear need to lighten up. This is Samui. Live and let live.

There's noise pollution everywhere not only from bikes... It's up to you to decides whether you make it in to a problem for yourself or not, you have the choice, you can get angry or chose to just take it as part of being here...

What about the trucks that drive around with tannoy systems, "Lady and Gentleman, tonight, tonight, get the seat earlier, get the seat earlier.."

or the girls that scream "masaaage" as you drive by,

or the planes flying over head,

or the rather loud gecko's or the porch,

or the old banger trucks with no exhausts at all,

or the jetski's out at sea,

or the music blaring from the local wat when an event is on,

Yesterday was fun for a lot of people. :D

Matt.

it is a tourist island. this is why people come here to have fun. this ain't Hong Kong or london. if it wasn't for toursists then most peoples income would be dead and considering thailand depends on 6% of its income from tourist. it is in Thailands interest to keep them happy. What is the alternative. get a big park and then put no ball games sign up.

get a shooting range with no guns.

have a party with the music on low.

have all the ladys who work in the bars where long skirts.

The answer is simple if u don't like it. leave. these are toursist islands and business islands. Not complaining islands.

:D

:)

I am a big bike rider, but I tend to agree that an awful lot of riders here are just asses about bike noise.. The whole loud pipes save lives trip.. Theres guys who pass a bar I frequent who always have to blip the throttle downchange and roar it with straight pipes cos they think people care..

I personally think anyone buying a western quality exhaust and removing the baffles to non road legal spec is being anti social, unless perhaps they never ride their bike early mornings and after dark, or in quiet sois.. Thats the thing with baffle removals, you cant simply pop it back in when its not suitable, your riding it like that full time.

I am all for freedoms, but one persons freedom ends when it interferes with another persons freedoms. That includes race spec exhausts and removing DB killers from road ones.

I am a big bike rider, but I tend to agree that an awful lot of riders here are just asses about bike noise.. The whole loud pipes save lives trip.. Theres guys who pass a bar I frequent who always have to blip the throttle downchange and roar it with straight pipes cos they think people care..

I personally think anyone buying a western quality exhaust and removing the baffles to non road legal spec is being anti social, unless perhaps they never ride their bike early mornings and after dark, or in quiet sois.. Thats the thing with baffle removals, you cant simply pop it back in when its not suitable, your riding it like that full time.

I am all for freedoms, but one persons freedom ends when it interferes with another persons freedoms. That includes race spec exhausts and removing DB killers from road ones.

yes but it is bike week. as for the rest of the time. i do get the hump when people rev their engines outside for no reason. i think. ok we all know u have a nice bike. bla bla.

as for the casual harley and motor cross riders. as long as they not show off too much i do not car. motor crossers stick the the mountains which are all slowly getting concreting which must be pissing them off and harleys just crusie around. got more of a problem with my key board at the moment. some of the keys don't work. Also want to complain about lack of rollar costers on this island. its about time we got one.

Edited by BigC

Hey LivingLOS,

I've removed my DB killer from my Arrow and it isn't that loud. There are certain rev ranges where it does make noise but these can be avoided in quiet soi's etc but dropping the revs and decelerating the engine. I don't ride my bike late at night and now it's broken in I don't do 5am runs...

The last thing you want to do is on Samui (or anywhere) is p*ss off the residents or other people, it's not fair. You and your bike probably wouldn't last long.

My only reason for it being loud is so that the local Somchai can hear me coming from behind before he makes a stupid turn in to me. We all know the roads here. In my opinion it's better to be seen and heard. The soi dogs don't chase me either, they back right away when I blip the throttle near them.

I've heard much much louder choppers with straight through exhausts here... :)

Matt.

I have respect for my neighbours and other residents

:) The best reply so far LivinLOS and ups your IQ way above the other's posts. There's hope for Samui yet !

:) The best reply so far LivinLOS and ups your IQ way above the other's posts. There's hope for Samui yet !

u r a bit too seriously for a clown. Crusty. hows side show bob now days .

Considering you live in Dubai and not here, and it neither effects or concerns you, why are you so disparaging about what residents of Samui and other parts of Thailand do with their time? It might add it's Samui bike "week" and seven days allowing some bike enthusiasts to have a good time isn't much to ask.

Oh, so now this forum is only for current bona fide Samui residents? Once they allow you to make the rules around here be sure to let me know.

But since you whined nicely...I lived on Samui from 2007 until this past February. Spent a lot of my time in Bangrak where the bars/restaurants are very close to the narrow road and had the unfortunate experience of listening to unnecessary noise comig from bikes, cement trucks and the advert-blaring speaker trucks. I can understand loving your bike but there's nothing wrong with being a little courteous to others regarding the excess noise you make.

THAT SAID, since it is Bike Week, a special occassion, I personally would be more understanding and not mind putting up with the extra noise for the duration. Just like I put up with getting drenched during Songkran.

Hey LivingLOS,

I've removed my DB killer from my Arrow and it isn't that loud. There are certain rev ranges where it does make noise but these can be avoided in quiet soi's etc but dropping the revs and decelerating the engine. I don't ride my bike late at night and now it's broken in I don't do 5am runs...

The last thing you want to do is on Samui (or anywhere) is p*ss off the residents or other people, it's not fair. You and your bike probably wouldn't last long.

My only reason for it being loud is so that the local Somchai can hear me coming from behind before he makes a stupid turn in to me. We all know the roads here. In my opinion it's better to be seen and heard. The soi dogs don't chase me either, they back right away when I blip the throttle near them.

I've heard much much louder choppers with straight through exhausts here... :)

Matt.

I have respect for my neighbours and other residents

Just out of curiosity, does removing the the DB killer make the bike faster, or have better gas mileage, or handle better, or does it just make you feel like you have a bigger xxxxx?

Edited by Rooo
Profanity removed.Rooo.

Oh, so now this forum is only for current bona fide Samui residents? Once they allow you to make the rules around here be sure to let me know.

But since you whined nicely...I lived on Samui from 2007 until this past February. Spent a lot of my time in Bangrak where the bars/restaurants are very close to the narrow road and had the unfortunate experience of listening to unnecessary noise comig from bikes, cement trucks and the advert-blaring speaker trucks. I can understand loving your bike but there's nothing wrong with being a little courteous to others regarding the excess noise you make.

THAT SAID, since it is Bike Week, a special occassion, I personally would be more understanding and not mind putting up with the extra noise for the duration. Just like I put up with getting drenched during Songkran.

I blame the English public school system Koheesti .......!

The old colonialists are alive and well on Samui. :)

actually i like noise coming from an engine, being a hobbyist mechanician certainly helps, cbr, ninja and all those modern machines produce a very pleasant sound(high in rpm but low in DB) however all those bikes some people complain about do produce a very loud sound and run at very low RPM basically their exhaust is like the big trucks, just a pipe guiding the sound to the back of the bike and that's where it comes annoying.

Just out of curiosity, does removing the the DB killer make the bike faster, or have better gas mileage, or handle better, or does it just make you feel like you have a bigger xxxxx?

It does all of the above and sounds f*cking amazing! Plus, it really does make your p*nis bigger! From what I heard around the bars OP, maybe you should look in to this yourself :)

I don't know what it's like without, my exhaust was brand new and fitter without the dB killer. It easily snaps back in, so I will try it sometime this week, however if it shrinks my p*nis my girl won't be happy.... :D

By the way the DB Killer only reduces the sound by a several dB:

"What is a dB killer? A dB killer is an insert which can be mounted into a sports exhaust meant to reduce the sound level. It will reduce the dB level with approximately 3 dB (varies per motorcycle model). Please note that using a dB killer will not make the exhaust homologated!"

The reason I have a loud exhaust here on Samui is for safety reasons, you know what the roads here are like, loud means cars/people can hear you as well and scare soi dogs away from the road.

My bike sounds nice (in my opinion), not like the little 125's the kids are riding about with no mufflers, or that huge trucks with the drainpipe exhaust, or old man Somchai who's diesel truck's exhaust fell off years ago...

Matt.

Agreed, even tho my other post is perhaps anti loud bikes, a bit of tolerance goes a long way.. For a bike week (couple of days) surely a little bit of tolerance is helpful.

My comments were more directed at the long term use and abuse of loud pipes. Some riders (and I think we all know the type) think everyone needs to see him revving up his over loud machine, leaving bars, just being an attention seeker.

Yes its good to be noticed.. But also good to keep your speed where your 100% in defensive driving mode anyway.. I assume every dog, every driver, every bike will pull into my path at the last second, so far they are not disappointing me :)

One thing you might want to look for as a rider, something I will probably get next time I am in the west, is a headlight oscillator.. It basically pulses from low to high beam during the day, making you very visible and yet not disturbing others too much.

Yes its good to be noticed.. But also good to keep your speed where your 100% in defensive driving mode anyway.. I assume every dog, every driver, every bike will pull into my path at the last second, so far they are not disappointing me :)

One thing you might want to look for as a rider, something I will probably get next time I am in the west, is a headlight oscillator.. It basically pulses from low to high beam during the day, making you very visible and yet not disturbing others too much.

after reading the negative posts on here i think that the people that were bothered by bike week deserve it. if that is the sorte of thing that makes them angry. so out comes to harley next week. yes my penis willl e extended which will make all the ladies on the island happy and i am going to up the DB's from now on i am a new easy rider. somebody stop me .))))))))))))))))))))))

Sounds like a good idea! I drive around with my truck lights on all the time, have done for the past 4 years here. :D

I just returned from Samui on Sunday, so I was there for "Bikeweek".

I shared the road with them for a week ( I had a rented scooter). I ran into bikers at the restaurants, at the viewpoints where I was taking pictures, and on the ferry. They were always well behaved, curtious on the road( unlike the Thia's I came across), and represented themselves well. One "gang member" and his GF, gave up their seats on the crowded ferry for my 6 yr. old daughter and myself. Thanks for that.

Good morning all!! Just recovering from a dam_n good Samui Bike weekend....... Then I read this:(

Dear oh dear. The usual bigoted rubbish from old age pensioners who don't like other people having a good time. OK. Some riders might have been a little over exhuberent . I'd much rather hear a loud bike for a few seconds than daily continual "get the seat earlier. get the seat earlier".

This weekend brought business to Samui (hotels, bars, restaurants), raised money for charity and raised awareness that Samui is a great place to visit. Apart from "Red Necks" who complain about it..... :)

Perfect :D :D