The Ticket Was 7505 Bht, I Gave Her 8005 Baht

Livinginexile

Another all Thais are stupid thread.

I started work as a shop assistant when I was 14.

In those days there were no calculators or tills that worked out the change for you. It was either work out the sums on paper or in the head.

Since the introduction of calculators, adding machines and computers, people have become lazy and now totally rely on the micro chip instead or having to use the brain for arithmetic and spelling.

It`s the same the world over, not only unique to Thailand. Technology has turned people into blockheads as they consider that pushing a button or key is easier than thinking.

it works the other way around too

my dad had a business handling money daily, he didnt need a calculator he just did it in his head

fast forward...

all the new technology baffles him, he wouldnt know where to turn on a computer, work out which of the 4 remotes at home turns on the satellite top box.

All of which my 4 year old nephew can do biggrin.gif

You've pretty much nailed it. The old farts on this forum (myself included...well, maybe not that old) grew up having to learn the basics of math, whereas for today's youth, some of these skills just aren't as practical anymore. But I'd say the youth of Thailand (and abroad) are a heck of a lot more technologically savvy than these same guys. Particularly when it comes to computers, cell phone technology, MP3, you name it. One of the skills that I had (when living back in the states years ago) was that I was able to remember quite a few phone numbers (7-digits). Why? Because I had to. Pretty useless skill, nowadays.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err.. the FARANG manager...??? Since when can a Farang do a Thai (managers) job, especially in a very obvious and public place like a large corporate chain-store?..

:)

Edited by thomo

Yes,

ANother extension of the tech argument is this.

20 years ago I knew all my friends phone numbers plus places like the swimming pool, Cinema,train times etc... Now i can say confidently I know my number, and my parents home number. THats iT!

I don't even know the number to check the credit on my mobile I have it stored in memory. EVERY number is in the phone memory. Does this mean out brains are getting less of a work out and will atrify in parts?

I do think seriously that the phone number thing is a step backwards. Its good to know stuff, not to just depend on tech.

Try this one.At Carrefour they sell the donuts 8 baht a piece or 6 for 40 baht.Some time ago I needed 50 donuts for my boy to take school.I called the bakery servant and asked her if I could get them packed in 1 box.Of course this wasn't possible as 50 can not be divided by 6.After some meddling in from the Farang manager it was possible and she counted 50 times 8 Baht.Another involvement of the manager explained her that 40 Baht divided by 6 pieces multiplied by 50 was the correct sum.

So after that I got the correct price calculated and paid............Needless to say that when i arrived home I found only 40 donuts in the box.

Err.. the FARANG manager...??? Since when can a Farang do a Thai (managers) job, especially in a very obvious and public place like a large corporate chain-store?..

Or nearly any job that a Thai can do, for that matter?

I'm not challenging your story; I'm genuinely curious.

When you are a bit longer in Thailand,or maybe I should say whenever you will come to Thailand,you will find out that ALL the international concerns in Thailand are managed by farangs.

Wow..that was a completely assuming, condescending, and presumptuous reply. Completely.:D

So, according to you now, doughnuts are an international concern... yes?

(Now, I'm gonna challenge your story.. som nom na, khun!)

For the record, the date that someone creates an account on ThaiVisa isn't necessarily the date when they first started to have Thai experiences.

Case and point: I joined TV in Feb this year, but I've been traveling back and forth to Thailand since Feb, 2005, and been renting my own apartment in Bangkok (where I live with my girlfriend) for the last 2 years, and just came back to visit the US last week, after a 6 month-long continuous (with visa run) stay. In the last 5.5 years, I've shopped in Tesco-Lotuses, CarreFours, Big-Cs and Tops Markets from Bangkok to Pattaya to Rangsit to Koh Samui to Maha Sarakham.. and I've YET to see a Farang working at ANY of them! In just the last 6 months, I probably have shopped in a mega-store about twice a week (groceries, etc), so that's 48 times, just in the last 6 months.... and NO Farang Managers. I've also not seen a Farang working in any of the malls, foodcourts, movie theaters, bowling alleys, ice skating rinks, or amusement parks, either in or out of Bangkok. Not yet, in 5 and a half years.

I feel pretty sure that I know WHY I haven't seen any. One has only to read the Thai Government's rather extraordinary list of vocations that Farang are virtually NEVER allowed to do, to know why it's so hard to find a Farang working in a highly visible position especially in the service/retail industry.

I don't doubt that in private corporate offices, way up in the tops of tall glass and steel buildings (far from the public, and the loss of face it would cause for Thai's to have a Farang be "publicly higher and more powerful than a Thai is", right on the sales floor, in front of every Thai customer; both Hi and Lo-So) there are definitely some foreigners keeping tabs financially on what's happening with these international mega-chain stores.

However, I've definitely never seen a Farang working on the premises of a CarreFour retail store (during, or after hours... even in the parking lot, because I often shop at the end of the night), in either a store uniform, or a business suit. Maybe I've been lucky, and have just missed every single one of them, for 5+ years straight (not likely). Maybe I speak Thai and understand the culture well enough {that's likely} that I've never needed to have a purported "Farang Manager" come out from his hiding place, to solve simple issues (regarding bulk pricing or incorrect change) with the staff, for me (not likely either).

In fact, the only place that I can dimly recall seeing Farang working at (although I rarely need to go into one), would be huge international hotels, and that's understandable as there's very little loss of face when 90+% of the clientele are Farang tourists who are only too glad to see another Farang working there. (and as English teachers at international schools, of course)

So, this is a mystery (hence, my earnest question to you)... but please, don't patronize me and assume I'm some noob tourist that's "never even been" to Thailand.

I've not imagined that I've never seen Farang managers at CarreFour; and there's clear evidence as to why that's the case, so, I believe my question about the circumstances under which you found one to be out on the floor; working to solve "bakery issues", is fair and valid. Yes, there are undoubtedly Westerners at the CORPORATE level of some international companies currently conducting business in Thailand...... but at the retail level, charged with solving bulk price calculation disputes (possibly between Thai staff and other Higher-So customers)??? I think not, sir.

In fact, I'm sorry, but I think you've made this all up, (and then attempted to discredit me; unaware of the 5+ years I've spent in Thailand), just to try to sound self-important, and to support your questionable "uncountable doughnuts" story.

Searching back previously through your extensive (but recently trollish and antagonistic "one-liner") posts, I feel fairly sure that I've sorted you out, correctly.

So... has anyone ELSE been seeing "Farang managers" at the malls, movie theaters, mega-chain stores, etc, either in or outside of Bangkok, and if so, were they guiding their Thai employees in the art of brain-powered change calculation (or AHEM, pastry counting)?

If yes (and therefore I'm wrong), please tell me about it!

By the way, basjke.. if you story HAD been true (I mean, if there were really Farang Managers at CarreFour), the REASON you would have been 10 doughnuts short, was probably because you caused the female clerk to lose face (to a Farang, no less!) when you brought her boss into the situation, just to "correct/embarrass her" over a few baht's worth of pastries.. and she promptly retaliated by shorting you 10 doughnuts! :)

Edited by SiangDeeMahk

Yes, i have witnessed once, last year, a farang working in a tops supermarket.

The guy was suited up, was wearing a tops logo, and was looking at a display and obviously discussing/directing a thai employee about the display, in Thai!!.....

I also believe all the issues the above poster has mentioned and as such, i was also curious about this scene and what was the situation.

Thai g/f at the time said he might be a shareholder, boss or something, but still the questions that the previous poster has mentioned are valid..

Myself, the only conclusion i can think of was that guy might be an international sales rep in charge of marketing foriegn goods in Tops stores..

mai loo!

But the one I really find bloody stupid is when I ask for something in Thai, with the relevant classifier, and the shop assistant/stallholder holds up their calculator AND two, three, four fingers to let me know the price! Yes, I've just asked you IN THAI!

A few of my open market type tenants do that calculator thing to communicate with customers, no matter what language is required. In part it's to keep the competition 'somewhat' unaware of what your minute-to-minute final price is (whereas if you announced it with every sale, it's like reading a stock ticker for all to hear). But I'm sure you KNEW THAT!

:)

I don't know if you've ever visited a talad nat/sot, but if you had you will have noticed that a kilo of mangkut/gruay/lamyai is exactly the same price on each and every stall. So there goes that rather elaborate theory.They're not listening because all they see is your farang face. If you ignore the calculator being waved in your face and repeat the price IN THAI, you get all the 'poot Thai geng jang lui' and smiles all round.laugh.gif

What does impress me though is the fact that you can ask any Thai the percentage of anything, and they will give you the correct answer simply by working it out in their heads.

I'm not only impressed - I'm amazed!

In my experience they need a calculator to do the simplest of sums - hence the OPs post.....

The older lady in one of my local shops was totally non-plussed when I gave her the odd change (thinking it would make it easier). I was actually impressed when the daughter came out and worked out in her head that the change meant I only needed 100 baht notes in change huh.gif.

But it doesn't matter - they may not be bright, but they've got other qualities to recommend them.

e.g. They'll never tell you how they consider you inferior (you're not Thai), even though you're giving them money beyond their wildest dreams..... Despite your inferiority, they'll tell you how wonderful you are.

Edited by F1fanatic

It is all very simple and has been aid a few times on this thread already. These folks have to pay for their mistakes from their own pocket. If the mistake is big enough they also lose their jobs. That is why the bank teller will put a wad of notes in the machine three times and then count by hand also. It is also why I will correct any mistakes by till operators, even if it means I pay more. If at the next stock take the shop is 'down' then it will also be taken out of staff wages. So the next time you are given change for a thousand when it should have been 500, spare the till operator a thought as when you walk away 500 baht richer than when you started, they at some point will lose 2-3 days salary to pay for your good fortune. Honesty is always best, and on the few occasions I have had to say 'you haven't charged me enough' or 'you have given me too much change', I have made instant friends for life! LoL

All that said, the standard of maths seems quite poor which is a concern as I have a young daughter who will be educated here, so it looks like Dad has some extra tuition to do, as Mum cannot do mental arithmetic to save her life and always seems amazed at what she thinks is genius when I work things out in my head, but is simply a skill set that can be learned by anybody.

I have to admit I find it amusing when I give the bank employee 10,000 baht for my 9980 car payment every month, and they invariably use a calculator to figure the 20 baht change. Several months ago, one of the clerks saw me and apparently figured out what I was thinking. She said in perfect English that it was bank policy (Thanachart) that she uses the calculator for all transactions, even when the answer seems obvious. They've always been incredibly polite and intelligent and efficient every time I go in there, so I just accept it at that.

Another all Thais are stupid thread.

I started work as a shop assistant when I was 14.

In those days there were no calculators or tills that worked out the change for you. It was either work out the sums on paper or in the head.

Since the introduction of calculators, adding machines and computers, people have become lazy and now totally rely on the micro chip instead or having to use the brain for arithmetic and spelling.

It`s the same the world over, not only unique to Thailand. Technology has turned people into blockheads as they consider that pushing a button or key is easier than thinking.

No it is not another Thais are stupid thread!

They are badly educated - simple as that - the OP simply posted an observation, and a very true one at that - who needs a Fuc?ing calculator to subtract 75 from 100???

Try going to the banks here - they count your money ten times before they hand it over.

The education system here is a joke, it is based on rote learning, like monkeys.

Imagine in MY days when we had to work out shit like Pounds Shillings and Pence! or Ounces, Pounds, Stones, Hundredweight, Tons -

We were working in Hexadecimal way before the computer!!!

Song Nung Song, Song Song See.....whatever!

Edited by billythefish

The only calculator I trust is the one that prints out a copy. I used to do my taxes with a small hand calculator and too often I had mistakes because I failed to hit a key properly and the calculator would miss the decimal point. I've seen it happen in stores as well. I learned a long time ago to make a rough estimate of the final figure in my head, and it helped correct large mistakes compounded by small errors in mathematics exams. When you know roughly what the final total should be then it's easy to back track and find the error.

It does not only happen in Thailand, it happens in the UK , not many younger people have heard of mental arithmetic, I often tell shop assistants what the total price is before they write it down .Its not rocket science.

My wife can hardly do additions/subtractions with numbers higher than 10...

She can not do multiplication/division with numbers larger than 10...

She is Aussie, with a University Degree, and a teacher... just never took to math, never needed to to get through school, and doesn't need to in life, because she can use a calculator or ask me... I will admit she isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but she is good at what she does, and quite well regarded in her field...

We both went through school when you didn't use a calculator until Year 10 (16 Years old)... and didn't use computors at all...

I work with numbers all day, and am pretty good if I do say so myself... faster than a calculator even in complex calcs... I used to work in a telephone exhange, and could always remember the phone number of the subscriber we last worked on, even the next morning... numbers came easily to me... I work putting together sales business cases worth hundreds of millions of dollars, I usually know when the numbers are right, and where to go looking for errors in the model... so I also use maths all day, every day...

Here is Australia, McDonlads created a computer based course to teach thier staff basic maths, because the school system is failing... they have now realeased it for free to the public for PR...

So it isn't just Thailand...

I believe it is an aptitude and an application thing... if you don't pick it up easily, and you don't use it (either for school or for work), you don't learn it...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

As an accountant i work a lot with numbers but i will almost always use a calculator.. why because it costs time and money when your wrong. The same applies to those Thais.

That doesn't mean i can't use my brain for it, i use the calculator and then look at the answer and see if it is the same as what i was thinking. So you have a double check.

Its totally different to do a few calculations without a lot riding on it or doing it for your living. Those Thais have to pay for all the losses. If your wrong you only loose a little bit compared to what you own or earn.

IMHO its perfectly normal to use a calculator.

As an accountant i work a lot with numbers but i will almost always use a calculator.. why because it costs time and money when your wrong. The same applies to those Thais.

That doesn't mean i can't use my brain for it, i use the calculator and then look at the answer and see if it is the same as what i was thinking. So you have a double check.

Its totally different to do a few calculations without a lot riding on it or doing it for your living. Those Thais have to pay for all the losses. If your wrong you only loose a little bit compared to what you own or earn.

Do you use a calculator to know how much change has to be given on a 100 baht note if the item costs 75 Baht?I don't believe so.

Do you use a calculator to know how much change has to be given on a 100 baht note if the item costs 75 Baht?I don't believe so.

Yes this is the whole point of the post.

They often use a caculator for the very simplest of math!

8005 - 7505 = ??

100 - 75 = ??

20 - 14 = ?

C'mon :)

that is very interesting, I have only been in thailand for a week but I have noticed this, they sell sodas and the entrance of my apartment and the guy always uses the calculator before giving me change , most of the time I use 20 baht bills and the soda is 14 , but after some 6 times he still takes a few seconds before telling me my change

Ummmmmmm, maybe he wants the tip--every pizza delivery guy in the world will stall at your front door looking for change knowing that soon you will say keep the change.

No i don't that is too easy. But then again 25 bt is not much for me. There are other sums that are hard. Anyway i don't really care i see it as normal. If you always use it you don't make mistakes if you start not to use it you make mistakes.. And when is it hard and when easy... that is up to an individual.