Whats The Big Deal About The World Cup

mrmillersr

Call me old fashioned but what is the big deal about what we call soccer in the USA? I grew up playing and loving contact sports where you get to mix it up with the other team/opponents where physical contact is a part of the game.

Somehow the world has come to embrace a game where there is little contact and players can take a flop hoping to get a penalty on their opponent just by brushing next to them. It's also a game that girls and little kids can play and maybe that's a reason for it's popularity. Little gear, two goals with a little netting and a ball and you got a game.

Most of the players I would guess weight 150 to 175 pounds soaking wet. None of them would stand a chance playing US football, rugby or Australian football (my favorite team sport). Often the games drag out and end 0 to 0 or 1 to 0 but somehow this fascinates the loyal spectator.

Am I the only one that thinks this game is a bunch of crap or do others think the same?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are not alone. I also think soccer is a load of crap. I will diverge from your opinion here by saying I think any sport where grown men run around chasing a ball is a load of crap. I know 95% of the population of TV, if not the world, is now gonna start chewing my arse, But i fear this tread is gonna get moved, coz it aint nothing to do with Chiang mai.

Gimme a good game of snooker anyday. :)

Edited by greasemonkey

You are not alone. I also think soccer is a load of crap. I will diverge from your opinion here by saying I think any sport where grown men run around chasing a ball is a load of crap. I know 95% of the population of TV, if not the world, is now gonna start chewing my arse, But i fear this tread is gonna get moved, coz it aint nothing to do with Chiang mai.

Gimme a good game of snooker anyday. :)

And why would the topic be moved? I live in Chiang Mai and I'm asking a question for others that live in the area. Come on people, show a little spunk and say what you think. Getting a little tired of the politically correct group that is running amok making people afraid of speaking their mind. Open up and let if fly.

"World Cup fever" in Chiang Mai is ridiculous and quite annoying. No idea why people wait 4 years to see a grown man fall down, grab his leg, and roll around in the ground in fake pain for no reason. Which is basically all soccer is. And what, 3 of 5 games are "draws" so far?? *REAL* exciting!! About as exciting as watching my grandmother defecate.

American football is a real sport. Soccer is just.....

Personally I would rather be chatting up the girls.:) At least you know they are phony. Which brings up another point. The typical bar in Chiang mai that has invested all that money for a new HD TV and hook up I wish you luck on regrouping your investment. It is not going to happen

Well seeing as football is watched and enjoyed by millions the world over every 4 years I would say that you are indeed in a minority.  

As for your snide remarks that it's a game that girls and little kids can play; 

you should do your homework as American 'football' is also played by woman and even have leagues!  

BTW How can you even call it football when you use your hands as well?

And your American football? its rugby played by a bunch of over sized pansies. Real men play rugby without body armor.

And if American 'football' was so great how come it hasn't spread to almost every corner of the world as football has?

It's barely made out of the US, so one could say that numbers would conclude that this game (American 'football' ) is the bunch of crap.

'Mestizo' explains that football is as exciting as watching his grandmother defecate! 

Mestizo' please leave your grandmother to defecate in peace!

Just about sums up the mentality of this anti football crowd!  

post-105662-071403900 1276389338_thumb.j

post-105662-096368100 1276389359_thumb.j

It always strikes me as strange that it's nearly always people from countries that are fairly useless at football are the ones that try to say it's boring ... rubbish .... a girls game .... paid by faries etc etc.

Lets look at Australia, they have aussie rules football! Why? Can't they compete with the rest of the world at this sport? Is this why they call it soccer? So they can have their own football and take it home when they don't want to play anymore? That aside, they are probably consistantly the best nation in the world at Rugby and have some very good Snooker players, swimmers etc.

Now let's look at the Good old U .. S .. of A.

Every sport they have of their own they have a world champion without competing against any other part of the world. Another country which has their own game of football and are not suprisingly very good at soccer. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching American football and I'm not American!

Baseball ..... Erm, I think the girls used to play this but to be fair it may have been under the name of rounders!

I don't agree with the argument that American football is Rugby with lots of body armour but there have been instances where American Football teams and Rugby teams have played each other at both games and the Rugby team has won both games so I suppose that closes that.

Isn't it also strange that everywhere in the world that Football is a sport known and loved? The rules are spoken and understood in English? Strange how two nations, Australia and th US, both English speaking have had to invent their own game under the same name, and are both below average at the sport known and loved by everyone elso in the world? FOOTBALL !!!!!!!

Only a month left folks :)

I like all sports. Until you try playing any of them at a high level you can't appreciate their skills. Now, some sports lend themselves more to spectators than the players themselves. I believe why soccer lends itself more to a world sport is because everyone can play it at many different levels and you don't need to be a physical freak of nature to be good at it.

However, I do believe there are a few things that would improve the game. Get rid of the offside rule and there would be more scoring. I would move the penalty spot back another 10 yards and make it more fair for the goalie. I hate seeing a game decided on a questionable call in the penalty box. I wouldn't end a game in a tie. I'd make it decided on penalty kicks if there wasn't a goal scored in an over time period.

I have to admit that the US vs England game today was a pretty exciting match even though England was unlucky to come away with only a tie.

Call me old fashioned but what is the big deal about what we call soccer in the USA?
Whats The Big Deal About The World Cup

The deal is that it is a sport where the whole world is involved whether one enjoys the actual game or not. I could see how this would confuse the average septic.

I urge my fellow countrymen to please stop calling the sport 'soccer' as it only further seperates ourselves from the rest of the world.

In the interest of international harmony can we please agree from this point forth to refer to the sport by the more proper name of

'Un-American Football'

Thank You for your co-operation.

Edited by Lordfoul

I guess it must be difficult for some American's to appreciate a genuine world cup.

If you are taught from birth that a 'World Series' is something that only American's can participate in and win.......says it all.

Rugby's a great game, a man's game - but American 'football' which consists of the biggest loser contestants, who can't move and are dressed up like as if they are going FIM racing, is simply a joke.:):D

I guess it must be difficult for some American's to appreciate a genuine world cup.

If you are taught from birth that a 'World Series' is something that only American's can participate in and win.......says it all.

Rugby's a great game, a man's game - but American 'football' which consists of the biggest loser contestants, who can't move and are dressed up like as if they are going FIM racing, is simply a joke.:D:D

Yea the World Cup for Soccer. The only world wide sport where you have more mayhem, murder,thugs, rape, vandalism in the stands, outside the stadium all for the sake of national pride than you have action on the field. Great Game. :)

hmmmm

if you want to discuss the World cup, ok

if its intended for slagging off football, this thread will get closed.

but if you want to debate football us american rugby, footie, nrl, arl, all those L's, I will move this elsewhere.

your call?

Rugby's a great game, a man's game - but American 'football' which consists of the biggest loser contestants, who can't move and are dressed up like as if they are going FIM racing, is simply a joke.:D:D

Yea the World Cup for Soccer. The only world wide sport where you have more mayhem, murder,thugs, rape, vandalism in the stands, outside the stadium all for the sake of national pride than you have action on the field. Great Game. :)

Well, look at the extra value you get for your money!

Talking of national pride - it would nice to see a team from Cuba or Japan win the 'World Series' wouldn't it?....that would make a few grand wizards throw a wobbly.

I urge my fellow countrymen to please stop calling the sport 'soccer' as it only further seperates ourselves from the rest of the world.

In the interest of international harmony can we please agree from this point forth to refer to the sport by the more proper name of

'Un-American Football'

Thank You for your co-operation.

do you mean 'gridiron'? that strange game where all those big, brawny, beefcake protagonists have to wear padding and crash helmets to protect their delicate little selves? which is erroneously called 'football' despite the ball spending the majority of the time in the players' hands?

preposterous, dull, tedious joke of a 'sport'.

football, or soccer, is the world game. any person on earth can play it anywhere.