Tuk-Tuks Blockade US Military In Phuket

webfact

If Farang wants to come to Thailand, they should contribute to the local economy too.

Next time, they bring their own van, to visit their own bars, and drink their own beers, and perhaps even import their own girls (from the Philippines).

I guess you didn't read the article or don't understand english! To quote the article: “People think the only benefit to the local economy is the money sailors spend on nightlife, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. When the USS Ronald Reagan was here they loaded 14 containers of supplies. It is a huge business and it would be a shame if we were to lose it because of the greed of a small group of taxi drivers.”

They will just go to the Philippines or Singapore or somewhere else they and their money is welcomed! Talk about arrogance, the Thai's win the prize on this hugh blunder!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rukeree , I amazed that some-one such as yourself with such superior knowledge and foresight even bothers to mingle with such low class , inane individuals as found here on TV . Your type of post by a Thai can have far reaching harm to the future of tourism in Thailand , your thoughts will most likely be transmitted across the globe , showing just how visitors can expect to be treated in the future , if you have one that is ???????????????????? The truth of Thailand is beginning to rear its ugly head for all the world to see .

went to phuket once, never again taught the airport was bad till I saw what was phuket and its a dump, crazy people tuk tuk drivers.with the amount of business that is brought into the country by the U.s. navy and the good will for later travel by visiting family's.

Let's see - blockade of tuk tuks and taxis.

One APC should probably do, but if not, how about a couple of bulldozers. One run down the street, and no more tuk tuks, no more taxis, no more blockade - for a good long time! Everybody happy, except those who initiated the whole idiotic mess with their blockade! Let 'em scream!

Then again, T.I.T.

In Bkk locals rarely tuk-tuls, and for good reason.They are rude, overcharge and full of scams: basically they’re petty criminals. Best avoided. If the govenrnment wants to encouragetoursim , forget overpriced ad campaigns , get rid of these criminals and open up the BTS link into Bangkok.

About 1953 Farson's, the biggest brewers in Malta, put the price of a bottle of beer up two pence to a shilling.  Admiral Mountbatten, the C in C Mediterranean station, countered this by saying that if the price did not revert to tenpence he would order the Fleet to sea and they would stay there until the price came down to the original one. Farson's immediately capitulated.

I notice that more and more people arriving at Pattaya Nua bus station walk across the road and hail a passing baht bus rather than patronise the bus station taxi mafia. May that long continue.

If Farang wants to come to Thailand, they should contribute to the local economy too.

Next time, they bring their own van, to visit their own bars, and drink their own beers, and perhaps even import their own girls (from the Philippines).

And I hope if the Thai navy ever visit the coast of the States they recieve the same treatment. But of course they won't because that is not how developed countries welcome guests.

Tourists don't have to use the tuk tuks. It's up to them how they get from A to B.

Where did these people get that feeling of self-entitlement to tourists money? it's a dangerous game when you look at tourists like they're second class citizens.

• Like 1

The drivers were apparently angry that the sailors were boarding passenger vans provided for them free of charge by Glenn Defense Marine, a private firm based in Bangkok that has a contract with the US Navy to provide support services for visiting US Navy ships.

So Bangkok is not Thailand then I assume.

Edited by basjke

And I hope if the Thai navy ever visit the coast of the States they recieve the same treatment. But of course they won't because that is not how developed countries welcome guests.

Tourists don't have to use the tuk tuks. It's up to them how they get from A to B.

Where did these people get that feeling of self-entitlement to tourists money? it's a dangerous game when you look at tourists like they're second class citizens.

move on. visit some developed country. problem solved.

The drivers were apparently angry that the sailors were boarding passenger vans provided for them free of charge by Glenn Defense Marine, a private firm based in Bangkok that has a contract with the US Navy to provide support services for visiting US Navy ships.

So Bangkok is not Thailand then I assume.

its definitely not local. and nothing in the sense of Sufficiency Economy

Edited by mazeltov

JusMe , that thought Had crossed my mind also , but it may have shown a little too much arrogance , a double bladed plow would certainly have put a quick end to the problem , but just think of the wild screaming "Compensation , Compensation "/

I guess you didn't read the article or don't understand english! To quote the article: "People think the only benefit to the local economy is the money sailors spend on nightlife, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. When the USS Ronald Reagan was here they loaded 14 containers of supplies. It is a huge business and it would be a shame if we were to lose it because of the greed of a small group of taxi drivers."

They will just go to the Philippines or Singapore or somewhere else they and their money is welcomed! Talk about arrogance, the Thai's win the prize on this hugh blunder!

theres really a vessel named the uss ronald reaganlaugh.gif

Naaaa, just go directly to Philippines!

it is the same in many parts of thailand,tuk tuk drivers are greedy and a mafia for the tourist.they do not rip off the locals.but will try if they can.so i don,t blame the sailors using other transport,maybe the tuks tuks drivers are on a loser here llike the jet ski mafia trying to rip off the beach tourist.remember big trouble in thailand.

Hotels and other places should do this too and put those nasty tuk tuks out of business. They are ripping everyone off and get angry once their monopoly is broken.

They act like greedy children. The thing is Thais like Rucharee dont mind farangs getting ripped off. I really hope that tourism in this country collapses and loads of Thai loose their jobs. But even then they won't realize that they only have themselves to thank for it. Its always the outsider who is wrong never the greedy Thai.

Why is Thailand still letting US military/navy into their country?????

I was just reading yesterday about how Pattaya became a sex tourism destination like it is today... it all started thanks to American troops being stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war.

Screw the US and their NWO. Al Qaeda is a US made up enemy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-v34Lf0g6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGXVic15ho&feature=related

Contribute to the local economy? Why?

They are free people, free to go anywhere they choose, they don'y have to come to Phuket, nobody 'has to come' to Phuket, and maybe soon with the negative reputation it's strongly building nobody will come.

Nice if the US Navy does decide to come here and nice if they spend some money, but I say again, they don't HAVE TO spend money. You, Khun Rucharee are not god, you cannot dictate or make rules about what they should do, it's their choice.

Maybe in the future they will come to Phuket for supplies and all stay on the ship, would you blame them, and I say again, you cannot tell them what they should do, it's their choice.

And, spend some money, OK, but get massively ripped off with 2,000Baht Tuk Tuk fares. Is that OK? I'd appreciate your answer on that question please. (And please don't tell me that all foreigners are rich, therefore they should get ripped off.)

Agree with the general sentiments expressed but do understand it's low season (after years of low high-seasons) so money it tight. It's just such bad form for the TT drivers to all converge in a scrum like this and attempt to gouge visitors like this. (I assume the deep-water port in on the east-coast side mid-island the it's maybe a 20-30 minute ride over the mountain to Patong, so B2000 per person is ridiculous.) Now, having been to Phuket many times, I know these drivers (and their "masters" are pond scum) but even scumbags have to eat (unfortunately). So why not organize something reasonable like maybe 200 baht per person and stick 2 sailors in each TT...generating a cool 400 baht a trip (and of course, they could arrange time and place for a return trip for the same price as well. That would be a nice bit of work for most drivers no?

The presumption and arrogance of the tuk tuk drivers is second only to the connivance of the Phuket police and Administration.

Like I've said on another post: police and justice system are without hope.

A third world behaviour. Thai's will be killing each other on the streets of Bangkok........Oh yes, I forget, that was last month!

Third world country, third world attitude you're an example of why things will never change.

What's up with the police "Negotiating" with the Tuk Tuk drivers? If they would start arresting people that break the law, then there would be less civil issues like this.

The LAW !??!?!?!!! Arrest people ?? haha Thailand is a joke on law. I wish I would see an example where the police did their effin job and supported the law. I hope the Navy pulls out and never goes back to phuket. The money for supplies and misc they buy will be gone, and the tuk tuk family members will lose jobs working on the docks and other places. Will they connect the dots and see why this happened? Nope, they won't have a clue, so many Thai's have a serious lack of critical thinking, I am amazed anything gets done.

Why don't the US military just do what they did in Iraq?

Start false rumors and base and invasion and lies then

take over phuket and take over the "natural resources" there?

Hey it worked out good in Afganistan...haven't you heard...supposedly the country is sitting on 1 TRILLION dollars in mineral wealth (gold, copper, iron, lithium, etc.) according to todays NYT!

Edited by FarangBuddha

"police and Wichit Municipality negotiators to go back to an old agreement allowing the local taxis access to low-ranking US military personnel while only officers could take advantage of the free van service provided by an outside contractor"

So just the poor low paid sailors have to use the 2000 baht tuk tuks, while officers get free transportation. Nice. bah.gif

Yes, and who was doing the negotiations on the navy's behalf? Certainly not enlisted men.

The bar owners in Patong should have stepped in a put a stop to that nonsense. That is 3 hours worth of sailors drinking they lost out on!

I went to Phuket for my second and last time last spring. From here on out it is Samui. Phuck Phuket!!!!

Agree with the general sentiments expressed but do understand it's low season (after years of low high-seasons) so money it tight. It's just such bad form for the TT drivers to all converge in a scrum like this and attempt to gouge visitors like this. (I assume the deep-water port in on the east-coast side mid-island the it's maybe a 20-30 minute ride over the mountain to Patong, so B2000 per person is ridiculous.) Now, having been to Phuket many times, I know these drivers (and their "masters" are pond scum) but even scumbags have to eat (unfortunately). So why not organize something reasonable like maybe 200 baht per person and stick 2 sailors in each TT...generating a cool 400 baht a trip (and of course, they could arrange time and place for a return trip for the same price as well. That would be a nice bit of work for most drivers no?

If i were them i'd prefer the free lift to town, you could guarantee if they done as you said theyd get ripped off on the way back.

Edited by hansum

Would you pay 2000 baht for a ride in the back of one of those things?

They're not even tuk tuks. They're called rascals or something... a bit like their operators...