Sick Days?

I have a friend,he s in his 50 s ,recently dismissed from his Govt cleaning job for overuse of sick leave without medical certificates.

He had 13 written warnings over 5 years ,workplace counselling, etc etc but just kept takings days off,Mondays and Fridays etc.

He use to get 15 sick leave entitlements a year accumulative but he was apparently took 67 single days in a year.

He even use to take a week off and go to Thailand etc.and call in sick.

Anyway since he got the sack/fired he has done a TESOL course and he is ready to apply for jobs next month apparently with his severance pay he has enough to buy a studio and is looking at Chiang Mai area.

Anyway i met up with him last night had a coffee as he has come back to Australia for a few weeks before he heads off back to Thailand to look for a job.

The matter of sick days/leave entitlements came up in our conversation,and when i told him under Thai Labour Laws he has the right to claim 30 days a year,his face lit up in excitement and he was very happy thru out the evening,but now im worried it may be the wrong info.

How many of you fulltime teachers get in paid sick leave each year and do you have to have a doctors certificate for each sick day off?

Edited by actiondell4

As far as I know varies from school to school, we get 10 paid sick days per year, non-cumulative, and you are expected to have a doctor's certificate even for a single day off. Obviously if you have been around for a while, you won't get fired for being sick longer but I guess it will be all unpaid. A day off every now and then for personal reasons is acceptable. But absenteeism seems to be BIG DEAL for Thai administrators, for sure an easy way to find yourself outside the gate even if you are doing a good job. I am not sure Thailand is the right place for your colleague.... his attitude sucks. Any school and especially the students deserve better.

As far as I know varies from school to school, we get 10 paid sick days per year, non-cumulative, and you are expected to have a doctor's certificate even for a single day off. Obviously if you have been around for a while, you won't get fired for being sick longer but I guess it will be all unpaid. A day off every now and then for personal reasons is acceptable. But absenteeism seems to be BIG DEAL for Thai administrators, for sure an easy way to find yourself outside the gate even if you are doing a good job. I am not sure Thailand is the right place for your colleague.... his attitude sucks. Any school and especially the students deserve better.

I agree completely. There are enough losers and slackers in the schools as it is, and their slackness is what causes problems for authentic teachers when they have legit needs for sick days, etc.

actiondell.

I feel sorry for any organisation that may well employ your friend, his self discipline skills and shall we say employee loyalty seem rather thin upon the ground, sick leave here in Thailand is no-where near as generous as it it is in western countries.

I

take quotes from curiuosg and scot who have both hit the nail firmly upon the head.

I agree completely. There are enough losers and slackers in the schools as it is, and their slackness is what causes problems for authentic teachers when they have legit needs for sick days, etc.

Scott.

I love your quote too.

Where I work we get 10 days and must have a medical certificate. An employee such as your friend, however, would never get off probation.

If I was so unlucky as to have the subject of the original post on our staff the exit door would very soon open for him.

Surely this is a troll?

He use to get 15 sick leave entitlements a year accumulative but he was apparently took 67 single days in a year.

And for the record, 10 days a year is the norm I think.

Edited by Slip

Oh,why would you say I was a troll ,thats your perception/assumption.

Do you think Government jobs do not provide accumulative sick leave?

Some Govt Depts in Australia actually get more than 15 sick days a year accumulative.

Do you think Government Departments can you fire you immediately without providing Counselling and warnings,look I forgive you if you have never worked in a Western Country because I certainly wouldnt want to have any perceptions about you.

Unfair Dismissal Laws can apply without warnings and Counselling .

If you think im lying dont reply to the post.

In fact im sure Govt School Teachers here in Australia get something like 25 or so accumulative sick days per year plus all their generous annual leave.

Edited by actiondell4

Thai Labor Law says that employees are entitled to up to 30 sick days per year. If you are absent for more than 2 consecutive days, you must produce a doctor's note.

However, the reality is that most Thai employers simply ignore the Labor Law and most Thai employees never complain. Past employers have given me anywhere from 5 to 3 days per year. I think my current employer gives 10 sick days and 5 business leave days (for Visa runs etc.). I usually use one or two days each of sick leave and business leave per year. As for the OP's friend, people who use all or most of their sick days in Thailand usually end up unemployed in mid-year, or at best, don't get new contracts the next year.

Thai Labor Law says that employees are entitled to up to 30 sick days per year. If you are absent for more than 2 consecutive days, you must produce a doctor's note.

However, the reality is that most Thai employers simply ignore the Labor Law and most Thai employees never complain. Past employers have given me anywhere from 5 to 3 days per year. I think my current employer gives 10 sick days and 5 business leave days (for Visa runs etc.). I usually use one or two days each of sick leave and business leave per year. As for the OP's friend, people who use all or most of their sick days in Thailand usually end up unemployed in mid-year, or at best, don't get new contracts the next year.

Thais working in government will often try not to take these days off as it affects the level of their 6-monthly/yearly raises. I even have trouble getting my wife to take her vacation time! I get in 3 days per semester in my private school. However is we really are quite sick, they will not deduct when over the 3 day limit.

the law says 30 days per year but schools usually have their own rules, if you want to contest the school's (or other place of employment) rules you will probably have to deal with a very lengthy and complicated law suit and I'm sure you would be immediately fired from your job if you complain to labour or file a law suit.

The school I am employed at gives 7 paid sick days per year, I think most schools are within that range.

The school my wife works at has in the past allowed 30 but I have heard they are tightening up due to fiscal troubles i.e. paying substitutes.

In Thailand you are generally expected to show up for work even when sick and not doing so will diminish the respect of your Thai management, peers and even if tolerated will probably result in your not being asked to come back the next year.

Sounds like your buddy wants to come to Thailand for an easy slacker life, you should tell this loser that if he can't cut it in his own country due to laziness he should do us all a favor and stay out of Thailand's job market.

the law says 30 days per year but schools usually have their own rules, if you want to contest the school's (or other place of employment) rules you will probably have to deal with a very lengthy and complicated law suit and I'm sure you would be immediately fired from your job if you complain to labour or file a law suit.

On the contrary what some here assume, Thai Labor Law is actually very accommodating with regard to sick leave. The law states clearly that there are 30 sick days *on full pay*, whereas only more than 90 sick days per year can be the (stated) reason for termination. I assume even then severance pay would need to be paid in full.

The reason that a doctor's note is needed after being sick for more than 2 days: not showing up for work "without good reason" for 3 consecutive days is also a termination ground, without right to severance pay.

This is general Thai labor Law, but I heard that teachers especially on government schools *might* actually fall under different regulations.

On the contrary what some here assume, Thai Labor Law is actually very accommodating with regard to sick leave. The law states clearly that there are 30 sick days *on full pay*, whereas only more than 90 sick days per year can be the (stated) reason for termination. I assume even then severance pay would need to be paid in full.

The reason that a doctor's note is needed after being sick for more than 2 days: not showing up for work "without good reason" for 3 consecutive days is also a termination ground, without right to severance pay.

This is general Thai labor Law, but I heard that teachers especially on government schools *might* actually fall under different regulations.

You are right about Thai labour law but try complaining to them about your place of work not following those rules and see what happens. Remember, this is Thailand. Especially as a foreigner you have to tread carefully and a well connected Thai rarely needs to follow ministry rules and regulations. Piss one of them off and I'm sure your future working in LOS will be brief. You will then have to explain all of this to a future employer and if you plan to stay in Thailand I'm sure no Thai company will hire you if they find out you were causing problems for your previous jobs management by reporting them to the government.

You are right about Thai labour law but try complaining to them about your place of work not following those rules and see what happens. Remember, this is Thailand. Especially as a foreigner you have to tread carefully and a well connected Thai rarely needs to follow ministry rules and regulations. Piss one of them off and I'm sure your future working in LOS will be brief. You will then have to explain all of this to a future employer and if you plan to stay in Thailand I'm sure no Thai company will hire you if they find out you were causing problems for your previous jobs management by reporting them to the government.

I agree.

First rule: Don't make waves.

Second rule: Don't make waves

Third rule: Don't make waves.

Thai Labor Law says that employees are entitled to up to 30 sick days per year - for full time employment. Thai companies often get around that by not offering full time on the contract, well known problem that unfortunately there is not much to do about. There is no descrimination against foreigners if you contact the Labour department, they are known to treat Thais and *fully legal and respectful westerners* the same

Thai Labor Law says that employees are entitled to up to 30 sick days per year

So, 30 days is the maximum allowed. Is there a minimum?

Clarification: For a full time employment, the law says that you are allowed to be sick 30 days per year with full pay. There is no law stopping you from being sick more but it's up to the company if they pay you or not. Being sick less is always appreciated.

Many schools give a maximum 10 sick days per year with pay, they get around the 30 days requirement by not putting down full time employment regardless of that is what it is

I have passed this onto my friend CRAIG ,about only getting full time employment if he wants to get the 30 sick days a year.

He will be moving to Chiang Mai very soon and has asked about finding a doctor who can write medical certificates but i have gave him this forums details so i will leave it up to him to ask.