Advice Needed! Gp And Nhs In The Uk For My Son

Kadafi

Myself, my girlfriend and son have just moved to the UK from Thailand. I went in to re-register with my old doctors surgery and also wanted to register my son who holds a british passport. They told me my son had to be in the UK for 6 months before they would register him (even though he holds a british passport!) is this correct? as far as im concerned he is a british citizen and should not be told to wait 6 months. Problem is he has an eye problem which will require surgery and i cannot wait 6 months before treatment and cannot afford to go private.

Anyone know if this 6 months is correct or has my surgery got it wrong?

Oh, this post filled me with GLOOM - Kadafi, please take the time to read every thread on ThaiVisa dealing

with returning ex-pats access (or LACK of it) to 'Free' Nhs treatment. 'We' have been arguing about the finer

points of the rules and practices for some weeks, but the truth is we are still both challenged by the details and

very anxious about what appears to be an emerging 'Hard-Line' towards many categories of citizen. From the

many negatives we have learned recently, it wouldn't surprise me that there is a '6-month rule' - even a 12-month

rule is not impossible. By the way, it makes no difference which Passport you or your family hold, any more than

it makes any difference if you paid 45 years of contributions before you go for a bit of foreign travel at 65 - if you are

out of the country for more than 3 months (being increased to 6 months) you lose automatic enetitlement to free Nhs

treatment - unless you tell them you are coming back to live in perpetuity - but you could only use this 'life-boat' once !

Please do read all the posts entered under headings including the letters : NHS, or NHS DENIED, or NHS EX-PATS....etc.

I'll return with more if I can think of anything constructive. Good luck.

The GP told me today that he will have to be in the country 12 months before he can receive free NHS. Today i spoke to NHS direct and they told me since my son holds a british passport and is now living with me in the UK he should be able to receive free NHS straight away and that the GP has it wrong.

How can an 18 month old be expected to wait 6 months to be registered and 12 months before free NHS service.

My son requires eye treatment straight away so i will continue to pursue this and keep people informed...

The GP told me today that he will have to be in the country 12 months before he can receive free NHS. Today i spoke to NHS direct and they told me since my son holds a british passport and is now living with me in the UK he should be able to receive free NHS straight away and that the GP has it wrong.

How can an 18 month old be expected to wait 6 months to be registered and 12 months before free NHS service.

My son requires eye treatment straight away so i will continue to pursue this and keep people informed...

Your advice from NHS Direct is I believe correct and the GP does seem to have it wrong,or is merely being overzealous.

Your Son has a British Passport and inside as you will know, clearly states "BRITISH CITIZEN"

My Daughter also has a British Passport stating the same,and got accepted on a Doctors Register immediately having been in the UK less than a week,and also my Thai wife Registered at the same time (yes wives are also covered if on a settlement visa),this was in a completely different part of the Country that I lived in previously to living many years in Thailand(so no favours done by anyone).All that was required was showing both their Passports and filling out one single form for each of them,which contained standard health questions,such as previous illnesses,Allergies etc,basic stuff.

I do wish the Doom and Gloom merchants,would stop scaring the S*** out of Expats,by reading too much into this subject.I can only give you mine and my Families experiences of course, and I can state categorically:at no time was there the slightest hint,or a doubt implied, that there was going to be any Registration problem.This has also been the similar case with three of my friends and their Thai wives and children.

When you need to see your Doctor there is also no need of any loss of memory or economical half truths.

They are IMHO only interested in you and your families health, Full stop.

As to the urgency of your Sons Operation? of course this would need to be decided by the Doctors,and the current waiting lists.

Hope this Post has done a little in easing those nagging worries!

Good night All.

Your advice from NHS Direct is I believe correct and the GP does seem to have it wrong,or is merely being overzealous.

Your Son has a British Passport and inside as you will know, clearly states "BRITISH CITIZEN"

My Daughter also has a British Passport stating the same,and got accepted on a Doctors Register immediately having been in the UK less than a week,and also my Thai wife Registered at the same time (yes wives are also covered if on a settlement visa),this was in a completely different part of the Country that I lived in previously to living many years in Thailand(so no favours done by anyone).All that was required was showing both their Passports and filling out one single form for each of them,which contained standard health questions,such as previous illnesses,Allergies etc,basic stuff.

I do wish the Doom and Gloom merchants,would stop scaring the S*** out of Expats,by reading too much into this subject.I can only give you mine and my Families experiences of course, and I can state categorically:at no time was there the slightest hint,or a doubt implied, that there was going to be any Registration problem.This has also been the similar case with three of my friends and their Thai wives and children.

When you need to see your Doctor there is also no need of any loss of memory or economical half truths.

As to the urgency of your Sons Operation? of course this would need to be decided by the Doctors,and the current waiting lists.

Good night All.

Agreed on all points.

How long is it since the OP last lived in the UK?

Endure This is a Public Forum and one does not go into detail about private matters,my reply is relevant,otherwise I would not have Posted.

If you care to PM me I will reply.

Endure This is a Public Forum and one does not go into detail about private matters,my reply is relevant,otherwise I would not have Posted.

Well, firstly you are not the OP so the question was not aimed at you.

Secondly, why would you consider such an innocuous question so sensitive?

Strange response indeed.

Well, firstly you are not the OP so the question was not aimed at you.

Secondly, why would you consider such an innocuous question so sensitive?

Strange response indeed.

Sorry,my mistake!

We have been back in the UK a week now. I am going to drop into the NHS center tomorrow with my son and if that doesnt work im going to bring him down to the A&E moorfields eye hospital in London on friday to get him seen by a doctor...

We have been back in the UK a week now. I am going to drop into the NHS center tomorrow with my son and if that doesnt work im going to bring him down to the A&E moorfields eye hospital in London on friday to get him seen by a doctor...

I think you'll be just fine but you might want to look at the first post in this thread since it represents the current rules, perhaps print off a copy and take it with you? The Nhs And Uk Ex-pats - Thailand Forum

Good night All.

Agreed on all points.

I have no idea why Chiangmai should suddenly do a volte face and start being supportive about people returning to free Nhs treatment when in every other post he has

been hostile to 'fraud' and 'deception', and even went so far in a right-direction to state that it should not even be the case that the Retirement Pension is paid for life !

(Check all posts by Chiangmai related to the Nhs.) Some consistency would be helpful.

Now, in relation to the highlighted passage above: how on earth can you talk about serious concerns over the LEGAL POSITION regarding returning Brits being just

'Gloom and Doom' !!! Why do you think the GP (apparently) made a 'mistake' ? Precisely because of the concerns I have aired over recent weeks - the provision of

FREE Nhs treatment is under close scrutiny by a State that is desperate to make savings, and they already have the laws in place - the GP's reaction should be

a warning to us all. But what really shocks me is - how on earth can you be so complacent (Ibased purely on your good-luck anecdotes) when the OP is actually

UP TO HIS NECK in precisely the kind of negativity to his family's needs that I have been predicting ??? Didn't you read all his posts ??? Can't you discern his

deep anxiety and sense of confusion at the GP's refusal of vital treatment for his son ??? - Up to you if you want to believe : "They are IMHO only interested in you

and your families health, Full stop." If the country was not (and will not remain) up to its neck in debt, that might be correct; but it is and it will continue to be.

Its good to hear that you and some friends have ben lucky in the past, but everything changes and as they say in the financial adverts, Past Performance Is No

Guarantee To Future Outcomes - especially when English Law has been changed to make sure that things will not be so cosy in the Nhs for anyone having

lived abroad for a number of months. ( Excluding the unique situation in which one can honestly state that the return to the UK is a Permanent ( for life) one.)

I would much rather 'scare the s-it' out of ex-pats if it makes them well-prepared for all possible problems, than lull them into a sense of false security by a set

of cheery anecdotes that may well be irrelevant to a tough Nhs regime that has had the groundwork set down in relatively recent laws.

is the MAIN REASON , for the trip to the U.K.

to have free treatment on the NHS.

for the serious eye problem ???.

Good night All.

Agreed on all points.

I have no idea why Chiangmai should suddenly do a volte face and start being supportive about people returning to free Nhs treatment when in every other post he has

been hostile to 'fraud' and 'deception', and even went so far in a right-direction to state that it should not even be the case that the Retirement Pension is paid for life !

(Check all posts by Chiangmai related to the Nhs.) Some consistency would be helpful.

Now, in relation to the highlighted passage above: how on earth can you talk about serious concerns over the LEGAL POSITION regarding returning Brits being just

'Gloom and Doom' !!! Why do you think the GP (apparently) made a 'mistake' ? Precisely because of the concerns I have aired over recent weeks - the provision of

FREE Nhs treatment is under close scrutiny by a State that is desperate to make savings, and they already have the laws in place - the GP's reaction should be

a warning to us all. But what really shocks me is - how on earth can you be so complacent (Ibased purely on your good-luck anecdotes) when the OP is actually

UP TO HIS NECK in precisely the kind of negativity to his family's needs that I have been predicting ??? Didn't you read all his posts ??? Can't you discern his

deep anxiety and sense of confusion at the GP's refusal of vital treatment for his son ??? - Up to you if you want to believe : "They are IMHO only interested in you

and your families health, Full stop." If the country was not (and will not remain) up to its neck in debt, that might be correct; but it is and it will continue to be.

Its good to hear that you and some friends have ben lucky in the past, but everything changes and as they say in the financial adverts, Past Performance Is No

Guarantee To Future Outcomes - especially when English Law has been changed to make sure that things will not be so cosy in the Nhs for anyone having

lived abroad for a number of months. ( Excluding the unique situation in which one can honestly state that the return to the UK is a Permanent ( for life) one.)

I would much rather 'scare the s-it' out of ex-pats if it makes them well-prepared for all possible problems, than lull them into a sense of false security by a set

of cheery anecdotes that may well be irrelevant to a tough Nhs regime that has had the groundwork set down in relatively recent laws.

Ok Crazy have it your extremely Negative,Pessimistic way,no one is going to convince you otherwise,even with current true anecdotal evidence,so im not going to waist my time dissecting your last reply,perhaps if you returned to the UK,and saw for yourself instead of endlessly speculating about ifs and buts,you may be pleasantly surprised?

Or would you not bother? and also not bother to claim your 65th year old Pension either?

Lets also wait and see if Kadafi's son gets treated or not?perhaps he will also be a "good luck" one?if he does get treatment for free, then will you believe it?

Personally I've done it and got the NHS treatment,and i'm now looking forward to my Pension at 65,in the not too distant future,i've already got the forecast!

To everyone else I would say its still your Country in times of need,try it and see!

Alternatively dont bother to claim it,stay in Thailand and you definately will not get free hospital treatment or a Pension from the Thai Government.

Good night All.

Agreed on all points.

There's no inconsistency on my part, you said that you and your son have returned (not visiting) to the UK and the doctor refused to treat your son and a six month wait was appropriate, that's wrong because you've returned to the UK, presumably permanently and your son has a British passport, those are the rules and I support them. The other factor involved here is that your son is below the age of responsibility and as such is not able to make decisions regarding residency et al. Finally, I don't believe I have ever suggested that the UK state pension should not be paid for life so you need to post some quotes here to substantiate that claim. But you did get one thing right in that I lean to the right of the middle rather than the left, but not by a long way.

Edited by chiang mai

That's very cute cross referencing on your part CDPauly but sorry it doesn't hold water. I did indeed make the quote you highlighted in your post above but it was not in reference to UK Pensions, it was in reference to eligibility for NHS treatment. So let's all be very clear here guys and Majic this applies to you also, feel free to quote me and remind me of the things I have written, but you absolutely have to get the context right, distortions and misrepresntations are not needed and they're definitely not appreciated.

BTW, I'm havinf difficulty reading and understanding who and what it is you are responding to in your posts and indeed who your comments are directed towards, perhaps you could look at how you are posting when copying other posters.

Chiang Mai

I dont recall ever quoting you at all?

Im sure you are aware that with TVs new updated interface,that it is not the same as the original boxed in quotes.so I assume that more than one post has appeared to be joined as one. Hope this clarifies the situation.

That's very cute cross referencing on your part CDPauly but sorry it doesn't hold water. I did indeed make the quote you highlighted in your post above but it was not in reference to UK Pensions, it was in reference to eligibility for NHS treatment. So let's all be very clear here guys and Majic this applies to you also, feel free to quote me and remind me of the things I have written, but you absolutely have to get the context right, distortions and misrepresntations are not needed and they're definitely not appreciated.

BTW, I'm havinf difficulty reading and understanding who and what it is you are responding to in your posts and indeed who your comments are directed towards, perhaps you could look at how you are posting when copying other posters.

Chiang Mai

I dont recall ever quoting you at all?

Im sure you are aware that with TVs new updated interface,that it is not the same as the original boxed in quotes.so I assume that more than one post has appeared to be joined as one. Hope this clarifies the situation.

Apologies in that case Majic, I think the screwed up posts that were deleted were probably at the root of the misunderstanding.

Crazydrummerpaul: the quote of mine that you posted earlier (now deleted) was inappropriate because you took it out of context. The quote was in reference to the NHS and not to pension payments, please let's not have any more mischief on this subject because it's an important and potentially emotive subject, best debated using facts and not conjecture or distortion.

Edited by chiang mai

We have been back in the UK a week now.

That wasn't actually the question I asked.

Sorry misread your question, I have spent the best part of 4 years away from the UK though each year i have tended to be in Thailand 9 months and 3 month in the UK so i havenet been constantly away the whole time.

Ellis my son was receiving free reatment in Bangkok and could have had it operated on at some point, he had been going to the hospital in Bangkok for a year and my return to the UK had already be hugely delayed to a point where i had to return back.

Yesterday i went to my local NHS walk-in centre and spoke to them, I also got the chance to see a doctor there. He stated that as i and my son both hold british passports and are living in the UK that the GP has it wrong. He has told me to return to the GP and if they refuse, then make them put there refusal down in writing. So my next step will be to return to the GP to get him registered which i will try and do later on today, I will let people know what happens when i know more...

Apologies in that case Majic, I think the screwed up posts that were deleted were probably at the root of the misunderstanding.

Crazydrummerpaul: the quote of mine that you posted earlier (now deleted) was inappropriate because you took it out of context. The quote was in reference to the NHS and not to pension payments, please let's not have any more mischief on this subject because it's an important and potentially emotive subject, best debated using facts and not conjecture or distortion.

There is absolutely no doubt about the fact that I quoted a sentence in which you expressed your view that

a retirement-pension for life was not something you agreed with - if you now wish to accuse me of 'CONJECTURE

and DISTORTION' for accurately quoting you, then I will never debate any topic with you in the future. It is deeply

offensive to be accused of these failings when I take great care to be fact-based and scrupulously accurate.

In my opinion, it is not 'Out of context' to quote your view on the Retirement Pension when it was you yourself

who linked the health-service debate and the retirement-pension in the FIRST PLACE ! How illogical can you

get ? It is entirely relevant to point out - by way of quotation - that you have general 'right-wing' political views on

welfare-provision ( as you admitted ), though I accept that labels like 'right' and 'left' wing are getting increasingly

dubious in the present political climate. In the Philosophy of Language, it is de rigeur to Contextualise statements -

the fact that we all not only write ABOUT 'X', but also unavoidably write FOR 'Y' ( our world-view or desires ) is known

by the label REFLEXIVITY. It is absolutely NOT 'Mischief' as you defensively call it, to attempt to understand WHY

you hold the views yo do on the removal of 'Free' Nhs treatment by attending to the Reflexivity of your rhetoric - we

all dump our inner values, hopes and fears onto the page everytime we transfer our thoughts into public language.

There is no such thing as 'Writing Degree Zero' as Roland Barthes called the dream of pure, fact-only based textuality -

writing with no stylistic or political or rhetorical/persuasive aspect - as just 10 minutes reading any thread on any

forum will swiftly reveal ! Because of this awareness, you will notice how nakedly open and self-revealing my own

posts always are - since if one's 'hidden desires' are never really hidden in writing, one might as well lay them out

honestly and without camouflage. I am a life-long socilaist and 'left-winger', and I would lose no sleep if someone

point out that this political orientation 'colours' my views on the Nhs-for-expats debate - haha, of course it does.

Similarly, your negative comment on the Retirement-pension IS connected to your views on the Nhs debate whether

you were aware of it or not.

As for the Nhs-for-travellers debate - I will not take part in it again until there are concrete examples of people returning

to the UK actually being either refused treatment, or, the scenario that really worries me - examples of people being

processed through an A &E Department and receiving surgery and in-patient care and THEN being faced with a huge

bill that they really have no means of paying - what would happen ?

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Well today i went to a different GP and i have been able to register my son, pretty relieved that now he is in the system. Friday we have an appointment with a doctor so hopefully then he can get his referal to Moorfields eye clinic.

Thankyou for all your comments...

Well today i went to a different GP and i have been able to register my son, pretty relieved that now he is in the system. Friday we have an appointment with a doctor so hopefully then he can get his referal to Moorfields eye clinic.

Thankyou for all your comments...

Kadafi, that is tremendously good news. You should never have had to run around so much nor cope with

the worry you've had. All the very best with getting top treatment for your son, and for all of your family in

the future. Very interesting - or should be to all those who think there 'is nothing to worry about' - that you

had to go to a different GP. I sincerely hope this is not a sign of things to come for returning Brits, but I

am genuinely afraid that it might be. I also of course hope I'm totally wrong.