Child In Rear Window....!

Rags

If the lack of concern for child safety is indeed a cultural thing then it is one of the few things Thailand has in common with the Middle East. Here in Saudi children in child seats, children wearing seat belts or even children sitting down is unheard of. Most common position is standing between the front seats. The added danger here is that, unlike in Bangkok with an average speed of 10kmh, here it is closer to 150kmh. The other day I was chugging along at a lesiurely 160kmh and got passed by a Lincoln, driving on the shoulder of the road and the driver had a 2 year old standing on his lap. Presumably in the fast lane to meet Allah.

Hey sand, be careful over there pal. I think you got more things to worry about than fast drivers. Don't lose your head

I am surprised to hear that the childseat did not fit the Honda.  We have a "Maxi-Cosy Priory" childseat which fits perfectly in our 2004 Honda CRV.  The rear seat belt fits through the seat's roller mechanisms and clamps just fine, and is very secure even before you engage the tensioning lever.

There are definitely compatibility issues with certain cars, where due to the shape/angle of the rear seats a childseat may not sit squarely in place, but I had not heard of the seatbelts not being designed for childseats!

Rags

We've got a Britax which according to their website, fits our Honda Accord by using the seat belt tensioning feature. This is a feature where you pull the belt all the way out and it is locked when it goes back in (so it doesn't move normally.) It is basically pre-tensioned so the child seat won't move.

Honda Accords here (including the new model) don't have this feature. The only way that the seatbelt is tensioned is when the car brakes suddenly and the 'normal' emergency tensioning works. I didn't think that CRVs had the feature either so our seat may have trouble in a CRV.

I managed to get the seat fitted by using the brackets a bit differently but the standard seatbelt tensioning feature on UK/US Accords definitely isn't fitted here.

I am surprised to hear that the childseat did not fit the Honda.  We have a "Maxi-Cosy Priory" childseat which fits perfectly in our 2004 Honda CRV.  The rear seat belt fits through the seat's roller mechanisms and clamps just fine, and is very secure even before you engage the tensioning lever.

There are definitely compatibility issues with certain cars, where due to the shape/angle of the rear seats a childseat may not sit squarely in place, but I had not heard of the seatbelts not being designed for childseats!

Rags

We've got a Britax which according to their website, fits our Honda Accord by using the seat belt tensioning feature. This is a feature where you pull the belt all the way out and it is locked when it goes back in (so it doesn't move normally.) It is basically pre-tensioned so the child seat won't move.

Honda Accords here (including the new model) don't have this feature. The only way that the seatbelt is tensioned is when the car brakes suddenly and the 'normal' emergency tensioning works. I didn't think that CRVs had the feature either so our seat may have trouble in a CRV.

I managed to get the seat fitted by using the brackets a bit differently but the standard seatbelt tensioning feature on UK/US Accords definitely isn't fitted here.

OK, so it comes down to the different fixing approaches adopted by different carseat manufacturers.

According to the manual, the maxi-cosi seat does not need to have the "locked seatbelt feature" as it tightly clamps and locks the belt section of the 3-point seatbelt making it independent of the seatbelt roll-up mechanism. This means that only the shoulder belt portion of the carseat's fixing system is subject to the normal seatbelt's tensioning on braking.

Anyway, enough of all this technical stuff, the main thing is that you managed to get your seat fitted, and your child's safety and your peace of mind are better for it :o

Rags

I saw guys on bicycles yesterday, american mormons, I think. They were wearing those bicycle safety helmets.

Does everyone in the states/west wear these?

I remember getting stopped by a cop in Australia a few years back for not wearing a "hat" on a pushbike.

Illegal he said, bloody stupid, I said, why not just wear the same as a motorcycle one. Christ, joggers will be wearing them next!

I hope some of these funny laws in Oz, USA etc don't come over here.

Sorry a bit off topic.

I guess what I mean is that it is up to me whether I want to risk my life riding a bicycle with no "hat".

It is my responsibilty to bring up my children safely and well.

Should I let them sit in the back of the car without a seatbelt?

Should I make them learn English?

Should I make them got to the temple every week?

Should I make them learn self-defense for their own safety?

Should I let them do whatever the fck they want?

Should I take them on a plane, where they don't have seat belts for toddlers. I had to hold mine in my arms, whilst everyone elseincluding me had to fasten my safety belt.

Letting your kid sit in the rear window is up to you.

Where you take you kid is up to you.

Put them in a safe seat while you take them to McDonalds and poison them!

Let them sit in the back of a pick up on the way to church.

Sit on the ######n roof rack wilst going to pay tamboon and eat a vegetarian meal at the temple!

I know a couple of guys who drive those pickups with huge bars because they are good for the kids(yes in the back sometimes), yet when asked about their child's spiritual education, they say it is not important!

Can you get safety seats or belts for the back of pick-ups? :o

I guess what I mean is that it is up to me whether I want to risk my life riding a bicycle with no "hat".

Should I take them on a plane, where they don't have seat belts for toddlers. I had to hold mine in my arms, whilst everyone elseincluding me had to fasten my safety belt.

Sit on the ######n roof rack wilst going to pay tamboon and eat a vegetarian meal at the temple!

Neeranam - I agree that it is up to you how you bring-up your children and to what extent you want to protect them. To each their own.

My feeling is that in order to keep their children safe and well, a parent should make all reasonable efforts to remove obvious dangers from their child's path. e.g. stopping a 2 year old from playing with a knife rather than leaving it to destiny!

Similarly if you are able to afford to purchase a carseat that could stop your child flying through the car windscreen in the event of a crash, then it is not as if you are coddling them, rather you are doing your job as a parent and protecting your child from a realistic danger.

Rags :o

I saw guys on bicycles yesterday, american mormons,... ... don't come over here.

Sorry a bit off topic.

I know a couple of guys who drive those pickups with huge bars because they are good for the kids(yes in the back sometimes), yet when asked about their child's spiritual education, they say it is not important!

Can you get safety seats or belts for the back of pick-ups? :o

While I am typically on the side of less government is good government. On the issue of use of helmets, seatbelts, and child safety seats I agree with government mandated use of these types of items. Why you ask? Why should personnel choice or freedom be taken away by a government rule/regulation/mandate?

In regard to these types of safety systems/devices it relates back to the public good/ or benefit of the whole as opposed to the benefit of the individual. My case will be made with regard to the situation in the US more so than in Thailand as I am not as familiar with the cost/insurance structure in Thailand as apposed to the US.

If an individual chooses not to use the safety systems/devices the drastically increase the chances of being more seriously injured in the event of an accent. Keep in mind that you can be involved in an accident that is 100% not your fault – so being the best driver in the world does not guarantee you will not be involved in an accident. The more serious the injury the higher the cost (medical bills and such). Therefore the higher the cost to society for your choice not to utilize the safety system/device.

But I pay for my own insurance you say – so society does not bear an unreasonable burden for my choice. However, you have to consider that insurance rates are figured based upon the amount insurance companies have to pay out. So the more people who choose not to use said safety systems/devices that are involved in accidents, the higher the cost to the insurance companies, and the higher the cost to all who have insurance. Therefore you choice still has an effect on the costs for all.

In regard to the use of such safety systems/ devices for children. I think it is an obligation of society to help protect the children of that society. So while I child cannot be expected to make a well-informed logical decision in regard to the use of such safety systems. We as a society have an obligation to do what we can to help protect them. Yes you as a parent have a right to raise your child – nay you have an obligation to raise your child and in as safe an environment as possible. Therefore should not be upset or worried over being forced to do what is obviously in the best interest of your child. Your rights as a parent do not trump the obligations of society to protect the children of society.

, the main thing is that you managed to get your seat fitted, and your child's safety and your peace of mind are better for it  :o

Rags

Exactly!

Interesting point about the Maxi-Cosi clamping onto the 3-point belt. Our seat is rear-facing at the moment but I'm wondering if it would clamp like the Maxi-Cosi for forward-facing. Need to have a look at that over the weekend... :D

, the main thing is that you managed to get your seat fitted, and your child's safety and your peace of mind are better for it  :o

Rags

Exactly!

Interesting point about the Maxi-Cosi clamping onto the 3-point belt. Our seat is rear-facing at the moment but I'm wondering if it would clamp like the Maxi-Cosi for forward-facing. Need to have a look at that over the weekend... :D

Graham

I have just sent you a PM with a link to details of the maxi-cosi fixing method in case you are interested.

Rags