1 Year Multible Non-Immi Visa, Can Change To Retirement At End?

I am not sure what kind of visa I shall apply.

To register my car next month I was told that a non-immi visa shall be necessary.

situation:

recently travelling from China to Thailand once a month for 1 week each until end of the year. Therafter I plan to request the retirement extension.

option 1) single entry non immi visa to fullfill the requirement concerning the car, all further 1week-trips by 30days tourist visa exemption

option 2) multible 1 year non immi visa, which (hopefully) could be changed to a 1 year extension due to retirement

option 3) apply for non immi O-A longstay already now, although still mainly living in China

You suggestions are welcomed.

One is likely the only viable option in China. No local Consulate other than Perth will normally issue a multi entry non immigrant O for other than family reasons. And the O-A would likely require resident status in China (which you may have) but likely more trouble that it would be worth.

When ready for retirement extension of stay a single entry visa entry would likely be your best method.

You are correct that a non-immigrant visa is required in order to complete the registration of your vehicle. In addition you will need to provide proof of residence, through a letter from your Embassy (translated into Thai language and certified at your Embassy) as well as a copy of your lease and a signed document from your Landlord as verification.

In order to obtain a one year retirement visa within Thailand, you will be required to show at least 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account, present for at least 60 days (for the first year, and 90 days on the succeeding years) prior to making the visa application, or alternatively proof of income from overseas of at least 65,000 Baht per month (verified by your Embassy). The applicant must also be at least 50 years of age. However, when applying for this visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of the country, you are not required to show that the funds have been in your Thai bank account for any period of time. Therefore, a viable option for you will be to apply for the non-immigrant “O-A” retirement visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in China.

Please be advised that you should contact the Thai Embassy or Consulate of your choice in China prior to making the application to ensure that they will accept a Non-Immigrant “O-A” retirement visa application, as some do not. You will be issued with a one year non-immigrant “O-A” retirement visa. Once this is in place you will be able to complete the car registration upon your return to Thailand. An advantage of obtaining the non-immigrant “O-A” long stay visa is that there is no requirement for border runs every 90 days. There is however a requirement to report to immigration every 90 days to verify any changes in your address. When you have less than 30 days remaining on this visa, you can extend it within Thailand at the Immigration office.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]

You can enter on a normal tourist visa and once you are age 50 with money in bank or have proof of 65k per month income or the combination that can be changed by Immigration to non immigrant at cost of 2,000 baht and then the one year extension of stay can be made from that.

"In addition you will need to provide proof of residence, through a letter from your Embassy"

You can also get a proof of address letter from the police department. It does not have to be done at your embassy. A WP also works, but is not available in the OP's situation.

"In order to obtain a one year retirement visa within Thailand, you will be required to show at least 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account, present for at least 60 days (for the first year, and 90 days on the succeeding years) prior to making the visa application,..."

Aren't you talking about an extension of stay, not a visa?

"Therefore, a viable option for you will be to apply for the non-immigrant “O-A” retirement visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in China."

I'm under the impression that an O A visa must be obtained in your home country. What situations would allow otherwise?

"There is however a requirement to report to immigration every 90 days to verify any changes in your address."

It actually is not restricted to 'verifying any changes".

Besides some terminology problems, the above post is ok.

Personally, I'd pay less attention to that poster than I would to a few others who shared info with you.