Credit Card Fraud

stats

My Wife receives a call today from Siam Commercial Bank regarding about My Credit Card....At that time during the call i was away in pataya and forget to bring along my mobile phone.....

According to the SCB CC Officer they just caught someone that is trying to access my credit card via internet to purchased online....During that time my Credit card was full as i did alot of online shopping....She also says that the user tried to purchased higher $$$ product from the net but wasnt able because my CC is full...

They manage to get hold of the Server from where the user was....

The officer told my wife that they will replace the card and will be contacting me tommorow regarding about where the user was from so that i will not go to the same internet service anymore...

As i can recall the last time i used my credit card was at Siam Discovery just opposite of the Apple Shop ...I was using the free wife from Apple shop to purchased air flight tickets for my trip..The transcaction was approved...

I think the fraud must be taken place there at Siam Discovery from apple shop as the person from the shop notice that i took out a CC from my wallet and quickly went in their system to hack my Nootbook as it was a sharing wi-fe service....

Anyway i will update all of Thaivisa member after i talk to the bank tommorow about the location of the fraud just to be confirmed

be carefully that if the bank calls, not tell some informations.

There was a nice fraud in Austria. Someone calling from the bank and asking for your pin and tan for internetbanking.

Many people told it, as it was the bank which called, but in fact it was NOT the bank....

My Wife receives a call today from Siam Commercial Bank regarding about My Credit Card....At that time during the call i was away in pataya and forget to bring along my mobile phone.....

According to the SCB CC Officer they just caught someone that is trying to access my credit card via internet to purchased online....During that time my Credit card was full as i did alot of online shopping....She also says that the user tried to purchased higher $$$ product from the net but wasnt able because my CC is full...

They manage to get hold of the Server from where the user was....

The officer told my wife that they will replace the card and will be contacting me tommorow regarding about where the user was from so that i will not go to the same internet service anymore...

As i can recall the last time i used my credit card was at Siam Discovery just opposite of the Apple Shop ...I was using the free wife from Apple shop to purchased air flight tickets for my trip..The transcaction was approved...

I think the fraud must be taken place there at Siam Discovery from apple shop as the person from the shop notice that i took out a CC from my wallet and quickly went in their system to hack my Nootbook as it was a sharing wi-fe service....

Anyway i will update all of Thaivisa member after i talk to the bank tommorow about the location of the fraud just to be confirmed

Hmmmmm....

I'm starting to worry about my own credit balance as I tried to buy about B8,000 worth of CDs and books on Japanese amazon but for some reason transaction with credit card payment was denied while I recall my credit card spending hasn't reached my credit line limit. I also use SCB issued credit card and always on internet on home wi-fi (but in condominium). Should I call SCB before I receive statement?

Where I come from, card issuing companies have insurance that covers any loss caused by credit card scam unless you are at negligence. Is there any such thing available in Thailand?

call them!

No there is no "insurance" they just take the money back, from the shop where the bad guy bought the things.

So for example, if one guy has your details.

He orders in my webshop

I send the product.

you get the statement

you want refund and you get it

Visa/Mastercard is taking the money from ME :o

had today 2 americans who tried fraud, but stupid ones, I could detect them.

Hmmmmm.... 

I'm starting to worry about my own credit balance as I tried to buy about B8,000 worth of CDs and books on Japanese amazon but for some reason transaction with credit card payment was denied while I recall my credit card spending hasn't reached my credit line limit.  I also use SCB issued credit card and always on internet on home wi-fi (but in condominium).  Should I call SCB before I receive statement? 

Where I come from, card issuing companies have insurance that covers any loss caused by credit card scam unless you are at negligence.  Is there any such thing available in Thailand?

call them!

No there is no "insurance" they just take the money back, from the shop where the bad guy bought the things.

So for example, if one guy has your details.

He orders in my webshop

I send the product.

you get the statement

you want refund and you get it

Visa/Mastercard is taking the money from ME  :o

had today 2 americans who tried fraud, but stupid ones, I could detect them.

You run a shop in Thailand?? :D

How did you detect the fraud and how could you even tell the scammers were Americans??

So with any credit card scam involving Thai bank-issued credit card and Thai local shops, a shop is liable for the loss even if it's not at fault? And how can I even prove to the bank if I were scammed?

You didn't use the PowerBook on display at the Apple shop, did you?

If you did, you might as well report this to the shop owner.

Well no i did not used the powerbook from the apple shop...I was just sitting opposite the shop with my Nootbook and uses my credit card to purchased online...

But i will confirm with everyone on the situation later after i talk to the bank later...

I was using the free wife from Apple shop

I guess am just slow this morning but took me ten minutes to figure out that must be Wi-Fi rather than a free wife. :o

Echo h90 warning that the telephone call should be considered suspicious until you talk with bank inside bank. Never trust a phone call and never, ever, provide any information by phone unless you make the call and you know the number is valid. You are probably lucky that your card is full in any case. :D

Look forward to your report today.

first detection is country! If the order comes from Nigeria, it is automatic scam. There was no real order from there since 1997.

Than ordering hugh amounts without asking for the price.

After a rejected creditcard, you come with a complete different within 5 min, is it rejected you have the next one, but never asking why it is rejected.

Customer also buy things not on the webpage, urge things....

A week ago a other company, a friend of mine, had a normal order from USA, everything looked fine, beside that the customer told beside the product he want his card charged 100 US$ more and they should add it in cash to the shipment.

30 min later one more email. He has now a different adress, and name+adress changed from American to Nigerian :o

Internet shops yes. We get than a fax, where we have to proof that everything is right. If the adress does not match the real customers adress, we have to give the money back. (Also if the adress matches, but also the customer gets some troubles).

If you have problems you just call them and tell them there is some charge which is not authorized. Than you get a form with questions (or not) and it will be booked back (can need some time, and they maybe don't want to do it, but they have to).

You run a shop in Thailand??  :D

How did you detect the fraud and how could you even tell the scammers were Americans?? 

So with any credit card scam involving Thai bank-issued credit card and Thai local shops, a shop is liable for the loss even if it's not at fault?  And how can I even prove to the bank if I were scammed?

I called the SCB bank this morning according to them they cant give me the full detail about the hacker or the server from which he is from....After talking about 30 min i told them that i need to know where the hack is the server from or which country does this person from ....I also said that the reason i need to know is because i need to protect my self from being hack again from online purchased ..i need to know where it was from so that i could warn all my friends about it...

She then told me that there was 2 countries that is involves...But i said again i need them to confirm on the detail...They have told me that she will contact the Bank Security team to verify the situation on the full detail upon my request...

As i can remember there are 2 site that i purchased online.....Before the hack occured

1)www.airasia.com(MAlaysia)

2)www.hattrick.org(England)

So it matches the bank detection of these 2 countries involves.....

Full detailed will be posted later after confirmation by the bank

Ok guys well got a confirmation ..they can only tell me of the danger zone from where the Number was acess....And its Siam Discovery....The bank was suspicious about the Wi-Fe Ip Adress i was using as it was a shared IP there...Alot of problem occurs there....

The Wi-Fe i was using was a shared server by Apple Shop.....Well better be carefull all for using free Wi-fe there....

Regards to all

Tytus

Ok guys well got  a confirmation ..they can only tell me of the danger zone from where the Number was acess....And its Siam Discovery....The bank was suspicious about the Wi-Fe Ip Adress i was using as it was a shared IP there...Alot of problem occurs there....

The Wi-Fe i was using was a shared server by Apple Shop.....Well better be carefull all for using free Wi-fe there....

Regards to all

Tytus

did you use a Mastercard/visacard ore just a regular debitcard ???

Ok guys well got  a confirmation ..they can only tell me of the danger zone from where the Number was acess....And its Siam Discovery....The bank was suspicious about the Wi-Fe Ip Adress i was using as it was a shared IP there...Alot of problem occurs there....

Regards to all

Tytus

So there was no fraud? They just had your transactions marked as suspect because you were using an IP address that has a history (because of free and anonymous access) of credit card fraud?

yes that is correct they suspect that someone is using it and immidiately terminate my Credit Card....According to them the IP adress that i was doing transaction has a bad record alot of cases happens there...

And also according to the CC Office they regularly check the Customer login Ip...

So to everyone the free Wi-Fe at Siam Discovery that most of the user here are using happens to have bad records of people stealling some other user information....

DO NOT use ONLINE TRANSACTION THERE....

regards,

Tytus

Edited by tytus

yes that is correct they suspect that someone is using it and immidiately terminate my Credit Card....According to them the IP adress that i was doing transaction has a bad record alot of cases happens there...

And also according to the CC Office they regularly check the Customer login Ip...

So to everyone the free Wi-Fe at Siam Discovery that most of the user here are using happens to have bad records of people stealling some other user information....

DO NOT use ONLINE TRANSACTION THERE....

regards,

Tytus

From what you have said that does not appear to be what is happening; more likely those who already have obtained credit card information elsewhere are using the Wi-Fi to connect to Internet and purchase on line because they can not be traced to user.

Even with security protocols etc, isn't it just plain dangerous to use wifi anywhere for sensitive information?

How do I set security protocol for my home wi-fi?

I thought I set the password for my wi-fi but my wife can come on line with her laptop without entering any password. She can also go on-line with somebody else's wi-fi signal, perhaps a neighbor in the same condominium. I wonder if someone else is net-surfing on my wi-fi, as my 1Mbps wi-fi feels only slightly faster than dial-up access at work these days. Do I have the same risk of my credit card info stolen as the OP?

Edited by Nordlys

Ok guys well got a confirmation ..they can only tell me of the danger zone from where the Number was acess....And its Siam Discovery....The bank was suspicious about the Wi-Fe Ip Adress i was using as it was a shared IP there...Alot of problem occurs there...
Thanks for the heads up, I will stick a warning on my hotspots list. Just for interest, a few months ago WIFOO: The secrets of wireless hacking was a hot seller in the SE-ED bookshop...there's quite a few people out there been taking an interest in the subject...
How do I set security protocol for my home wi-fi?

I thought I set the password for my wi-fi but my wife can come on line with her laptop without entering any password. She can also go on-line with somebody else's wi-fi signal, perhaps a neighbor in the same condominium. I wonder if someone else is net-surfing on my wi-fi, as my 1Mbps wi-fi feels only slightly faster than dial-up access at work these days. Do I have the same risk of my credit card info stolen as the OP?

You should set up the encryption (WEP or WPA) on your WIFI to reduce the risk of people snooping, have a look in the administration settings of your router/whatever it is you are using. WEP is not very secure at all, but it will at least keep the casual passer by out. WPA is considerably better, but if you're worried about it then plug your computer in via a cable when you want to do something sensitive, at least you won't be broadcasting it so obviously.

I haven't used WPA but setting up WEP is fairly simple - you just need to turn it on for all the machines you want involved, and enter a matching encryption key. It's also useful to set up MAC address filtering as a second (also far from perfect) way to slow people down (Google it).

If you *don't* have encryption turned on, then anyone in range can use your WIFI, and that makes them part of your LAN. If your laptop is connected to the WIFI at the same time they can access your shared folders!

Edited by Crushdepth

[if you *don't* have encryption turned on, then anyone in range can use your WIFI, and that makes them part of your LAN. If your laptop is connected to the WIFI at the same time they can access your shared folders!

Awwwww.... so that's what I've been doing for the last 9 months or so?? :o

Thanks for all that input, but sadly I don't understand a thing you're talking about... :D

Do I have to go find and look into wireless LAN router owner's manual or is it something I can set with my Mac OS (Mac user I am)? I don't think I can even handle setting that WEP thingy. Do you think I can hire someone to do this for me? Or even that would put me at the risk of wireless hacking? Is there any step-by-step setting guide that I can find on internet? What keyword should I use for google? (WEP setup guide?)

Thanks for the heads up, I will stick a warning on my hotspots list. Just for interest, a few months ago WIFOO: The secrets of wireless hacking was a hot seller in the SE-ED bookshop...there's quite a few people out there been taking an interest in the subject...

How is it possible for that kind of a book to be sold at bookstores? Is that legal?

Edited by Nordlys

A few of the more recent "hacking" books are:

Addison-Wesley - Wi-Foo. The Secrets of Wireless Hacking - eBook

Syngress - Wireless Hacking. Projects for Wi-Fi Enthusiasts - eBook

John Wiley & Sons - Hacking For Dummies - eBook

Put one or more on your reading list, to learn the tricks-of-the-trade and how to protect yourself.

Your best defense is knowledge.

cheers :o

Even with security protocols etc, isn't it just plain dangerous to use wifi anywhere for sensitive information?

Yes and no.

If the site has a https secure page (ie the little padlock appears in the corner of your browser when you are connected), then you are safe.

You should be looking for this anytime you send your personal details - I'd never use a creidt card on an insecure page.

And that applies whether it is wifi or cabled connections. Both are as secure / just as insecure as each other.

So - reading the apple store sory - it's not that they are dodgy, it is just that a few dodgy people have used their connection to do dodgy things and the bank knows this. So it is unfair to warn about the nice people at the apple store.

yeah thats right ...alot of of people are abusing the Wi-Fe at Apple store...Ive seen some hacker look alike guys wondering around somewhere oppositing at Asia Book shop using their Notebook...Maybe they are trying to look for their Prey

hey everyone... i just received a new Credit card from SCB Bank..After they cut off my previous card due to suspect of illigal used by hacker they send me a new ones today...So glad that i could spen online again...

regards

Tytus

So we've all heard about the recent big leak of credit card info by hacking to a Mastercard outsourcing contractor computer in the US. I'm not a US citizen and there's already a report of more than B40 million losses in my country alone due to recent hacking among credit card holders who has either used credit card in US or ordered goods to on-line shopping stores in US. I have done a fair amount of shopping with amazon.com in the past. Should I cancel my card and reissue another one? Has anyone bothered to do so?

So we've all heard about the recent big leak of credit card info by hacking to a Mastercard outsourcing contractor computer in the US.  I'm not a US citizen and there's already a report of more than B40 million losses in my country alone due to recent hacking among credit card holders who has either used credit card in US or ordered goods to on-line shopping stores in US.  I have done a fair amount of shopping with amazon.com in the past.  Should I cancel my card and reissue another one?  Has anyone bothered to do so?

Don't worry. Just keep an eye on your account for dodgy transactions.

You're protected against fraud - you won't have to pay for these transactions - it is the credti card issuer's responsbility (or the vendors) not yours