Phuket Immigration To Open Saturdays

Phuket Immigration to open Saturdays

Boat captains risk police blacklisting

PHUKET CITY: -- The Phuket Immigration Office is to extend its service hours by opening Saturdays from 8:30 am until midday and staying open during the lunch hour on weekdays.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nusen of the Phuket Immigration Office told the Gazette that the new hours for the office, in Phuket City, came into force on Saturday (June 18).

“From Mondays to Fridays we will now stay open from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm,” he said.

Phuket Immigration also issued a reminder to visiting captains and crews of foreign vessels that they must post a redeemable 20,000 baht bond before leaving the country by any means other than the vessel on which they entered the country.

Failure to do so will result in the offender being added to an immigration blacklist.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-06-22

PHUKET CITY: -- The Phuket Immigration Office is to extend its service hours by opening Saturdays from 8:30 am until midday and staying open during the lunch hour on weekdays.

Pol Capt Krissarat Nusen of the Phuket Immigration Office told the Gazette that the new hours for the office, in Phuket City, came into force on Saturday (June 18).

“From Mondays to Fridays we will now stay open from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm,” he said.

Phuket Immigration also issued a reminder to visiting captains and crews of foreign vessels that they must post a redeemable 20,000 baht bond before leaving the country by any means other than the vessel on which they entered the country.

Failure to do so will result in the offender being added to an immigration blacklist.

Does this mean if I come in by boat and decide to fly home, I need to pay the equivalent of $500USD for the privelege?

I understood it that way, but I thought my english is not good enough, so I missunderstand it. (to pay 20 K for changing the transportation does not sound logic).

Does this mean if I come in by boat and decide to fly home, I need to pay the equivalent of $500USD for the privelege?

I guess so. You leave your boat, you pay for the spot. Probably for a whole year or more.... :o

What you're talking about is marina fees for mooring the boat - this is nothing to do with those.

What Immigration are missing here is that there are many long-haul yacht chartering companies, and yacht delivery companies that use "staggered crews" for the voyage - e.g. leave UK with one crew and sail to Gibralter - change crew (maybe captain as well) then sail to Cairo - repeat the change - sail to Mumbai and change again - sail to Andamans and change again - sail to Port Moresby and change again - then final leg to say Sydney where the new boat owner takes delivery and the boat yard's captain flies home.

So in essence, this new rule is saying that "working a passage" (which could be your annual holiday) is now no longer permitted.

It's a typically Thai law, and in the same vein as the Thai Customs one where they charge you VAT & duty on any delivery leg, completely outside the kingdom, if the final leg of delivery brings the goods into Thailand - I still don't understand how they can tax you on a service performed in another country by an agency which does not operate in Thailand.

Back to this bond - when the yachts stop performing stopovers in Thailand and the "wealthies" start losing money on their expensive marina investments, this one will get buried rather quickly.

Interestingly - this is identifiable as yet another introduced levy specifically for the pecuniary usury of foreign nationals - Thailand had better be careful or all these disadvantaging foreigner "taxes and fees" that have racked up under TRT could get them slapped with sanctions and "special duties" on goods they try sending to other nations - look at how Australia reacted to the Corby case in Indonesia - wont take them long to get as fired up with Thailand overtaxing their nationals.

My understanding is that this has has been around for at least 15 years. As crew on a seismic vessel entering Thai waters in 1990 this was brought up. It was all taken care of by our Agent and Administrators, but I believe the upshot was it could be redeemed at your point of exit (ie Don Muang).

I think it was an attempt to prevent seamen jumping ship/ leaving the ship, and then not leaving the country.

Freddie

would this apply if you chartered a yacht in say langkawi and sailed to Thailand, at that point your charter completed and you get off to fly home, if it does apply its going to hit companys like sunsail and such

:/

I read that and I understand it (in matter of language) but I must check if I am dreaming or using drugs. this idea from Thailands gouverment, does not make any sense (beside ripping people off and force farangs to visit other countries).

I guess so. You leave your boat, you pay for the spot. Probably for a whole year or more.... :o

What you're talking about is marina fees for mooring the boat - this is nothing to do with those.

What Immigration are missing here is that there are many long-haul yacht chartering companies, and yacht delivery companies that use "staggered crews" for the voyage - e.g. leave UK with one crew and sail to Gibralter - change crew (maybe captain as well) then sail to Cairo - repeat the change - sail to Mumbai and change again - sail to Andamans and change again - sail to Port Moresby and change again - then final leg to say Sydney where the new boat owner takes delivery and the boat yard's captain flies home.

So in essence, this new rule is saying that "working a passage" (which could be your annual holiday) is now no longer permitted.

It's a typically Thai law, and in the same vein as the Thai Customs one where they charge you VAT & duty on any delivery leg, completely outside the kingdom, if the final leg of delivery brings the goods into Thailand - I still don't understand how they can tax you on a service performed in another country by an agency which does not operate in Thailand.

Back to this bond - when the yachts stop performing stopovers in Thailand and the "wealthies" start losing money on their expensive marina investments, this one will get buried rather quickly.

Interestingly - this is identifiable as yet another introduced levy specifically for the pecuniary usury of foreign nationals - Thailand had better be careful or all these disadvantaging foreigner "taxes and fees" that have racked up under TRT could get them slapped with sanctions and "special duties" on goods they try sending to other nations - look at how Australia reacted to the Corby case in Indonesia - wont take them long to get as fired up with Thailand overtaxing their nationals.

I hope this gets clarified. I mean next time Malcom Forbes and Liz Taylor come to Thailand in his yacht and then fly back to Hollywood, they could have a big hazzle at the airport!

My *guess* is this is not aimed at tourists who charter a boat -- after all, if you fly in on one airline then leave by another airline, or even by bus/car/boat, you aren't asked to put up a deposit. On the other hand, if some rich guy flew his private jet into an airport then wanted to leave it there, he may well have to, essentially, post a bond, even if he paid X length of time for parking and hanger fees. After all, should he not return (or have someone return in his stead) by the end his pre-paid time, I guess it's the authorities the people where the jet (or yacht) is parked turn to and ask them to get rid of it.

It would make sense that if, for example, I sailed a yacht to Phuket, sold it, and had the paperwork for the sale I could show it to the Immigration authorities (or to whomever) and be own my way, my 20K still in my pocket.

Of course, that's a *logical* way to look at it, so who knows?

Edited by MekhongKurt

You redeem it.. or you get it back..

Dont know if you really do or not.. Never arrived by yacht..

don't worry, it's when your leaving on a yacht... :o

It is my understanding that this bond is if you arrive by yacht and then wish to leave country by any other means (air / road / different vessel)..

I did not think any bond was required to arrive by air and leave on a yacht ?? Its also my understanding that this has nothing to do with the boat storage fees..

Seems like everyone is confused by the regs and rules.. Can we get a clarification on exactly how the bond operates ??

I guess so. You leave your boat, you pay for the spot. Probably for a whole year or more.... :D

Well, many countries are used to act almost in the same way: if you use your cell phone with a German sim-card in Thailand making local calls there, all charges of maybe AIS are taxed with German VAT by your provider. If you're going to have your car repaired/tuned in Switzerland you'll be taxed with import-VAT if the value extends ~EUR 160. Many people don't mind as long as they're not checked by customs... :o