1 Year Supporting Thai Child

Living in Chiangmai since 2005

May 2009 1 year based on retirement (given in Chiangmai)

May 2008 1 year extension based on marriage (applied for it in Chiangmai but had to travel to Nakhomphanom to apply as wife's house registration book is from there, granted_

May 2009 1 year extension based on marriage (travelled to Nakhomphanom again to apply where wife's registration is but my wife or myself never live there, granted)

May 2010 applied for 1 year extension in Chiangmai based on supporting Thai child (going through divorce in court, mother of child not available for taking care of child, disappeared) I only rent house in Chiangmai, child 4 years old, goes to school every day

Was given 2 months and told to return to get 1 year

Now I am told by others that I will not be given 1 year extension

Do I need a lawyer to sort this out?

Any comments

I'm also live and rent in CM

Wait until immigration decision, 'others' often don't know what they are talking about.

If you have 400k in the bank and are genuinely looking after the child, they have no option but to grant extension.

I was told by 'others' I couldn't get a 1 year extension for marriage, only married 2 months, former gfs brother works in immigration office, former gf made complaint to police about me, etc. Granted with no problems apart from an extra 30 days 'consideration' due to red-shirts demo causing paperwork delay at BK office.

Edited by sarahsbloke

This is a corrected version

May 2007 1 year based on retirement (given in Chiangmai)

May 2008 1 year extension based on marriage (applied for it in Chiangmai but had to travel to Nakhomphanom to apply as wife's house registration book is from there, granted_

May 2009 1 year extension based on marriage (travelled to Nakhomphanom again to apply where wife's registration is but my wife or myself never live there, granted)

May 2010 applied for 1 year extension in Chiangmai based on supporting Thai child (going through divorce in court, mother of child not available for taking care of child, disappeared) I only rent house in Chiangmai, child 4 years old, goes to school every day

Any comments

When I waited for 1 year extension they stamped into the passport ("under consideration" 1 month because they had to send it to Bkk from Nakhomphanom))

This time it says "permitted up to..... " - 2 months) but it is in Chiangmai

When I waited for 1 year extension they stamped into the passport ("under consideration" 1 month because they had to send it to Bkk from Nakhomphanom))

This time it says "permitted up to..... " - 2 months) but it is in Chiangmai

Siam Legal said when you have a 1 year extension (one type like based on marriage) and you switch to another type (like based on supporting thai child) and they give you 2 months, that will cancel your former 1 year extension status. But they are never sure about anything at Siam Legal. Don't hire them

:D

You can't be sure you won't get the extension for a year. But I think you should at least talk to a lawyer about this.

You said (quote):

going through divorce in court, mother of child not available for taking care of child, disappeared

I would think that gives you a very strong case as being currently the only support for the child. Let the lawyer know that. Make sure the imigration understands that also. If you are somehow denied for the one-year extension, I think that above would give you a strong case for an appeal on the grounds of hardship for the child.

But then I'm NOT a lawyer...so talk to someone who knows Thai law as applies to children and child support.

:)

This is a corrected version

May 2007 1 year based on retirement (given in Chiangmai)

Any comments

You would only need a lawyer if your application was refused.

If the child is also yours and you meet the same income/money in the bank requirement needed for a Thai wife extension should be a walkover

You are not entitled to an extension of stay to support a step-child ild this is not a justifcation for a visa extension. My guess is you have been given 2 months because you are entitled to 60 days no questions asked by virtue of still having a Thai wife.

Edited:

To correct a glaring error

Edited by ExpatArchie

If application was accepted it is most likely to be approved. Often such extension for a young child would require a court order of custody but it varies and this case appears to be clear if mother has departed and case in court.

If application was accepted it is most likely to be approved. Often such extension for a young child would require a court order of custody but it varies and this case appears to be clear if mother has departed and case in court.

But was the application accepted or has he simply been fobbed off with a 60 day consolation prize visit wife and come back later and try again?

If it was accepted his passport wil have been stamped "under consideration" and success is the likely outcome. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us.

OP, is the child yours? If he isn't, you are not entitled to a visa extension however good your intentions.

Whichever I do not think you need involve a lawyer at this stage.

The 2 month extension is usually given to allow time for the 400/800Kbht to be in the bank prior to 1 year marriage/retirement extensions.

The OP didn't say if he had just deposited that amount.

Edited by sarahsbloke

The 2 month extension is usually given to allow time for the 400/800Kbht to be in the bank prior to 1 year marriage/retirement extensions.

The OP didn't say if he had just deposited that amount.

I don't recall the OP making any reference to retirement.

60 days is allowed for visiting a Thai wife. Any type of visa. You can even come here on a 30day visa exempt entry and get 60 days extra if you marry a Thai.

Extension for seasoning of money. Unlikely