I'm A Professional Plumber Wishing To Seek Work In

shesmu

Hi there all, Yep I'm a NEWBIE so go gentle on me please.

I'm a plumber/kitchen & bathroom fitter of many years exp; I'm now so close in fullfilling my dream of living in Thailand so as I can be with the most prettiest women in the world.

I would like to take time in finding this lady, so thought that living in Thailand might be a good idea, but while there I still gotta eat, so i thought i could offer my services as a professional plumber/fitter.....BUT is ther work out there for an English plumber??

If so anyone know of any web sites offering work? or would it be best if I offered my services in local newspapers or EX PAT weekly (I guessing the name here)

I'm only 42 kiddies of hands now, single, so thought "Hey why not go and find your ideal lady in Thailand, (always had strong feelings for thai women)

Any help here people I would very much remember you, when i come to Thailand.

Shesmu (its a ancient Egypt underworld God)

Yep, it would be illegal methinks, plus the wage for a plumber here and a plumber in England is far different. I imagine you could hire a professional Thai plumber for somewhere round the region of a few quid a day so it's not work for farangs.

There are business oppurtunities out here if you have cash and know the lie of the land, but for most people that want to start out over here for the first time with not much cash or skills, teaching english is the most viable option it seems, if only to tide you over until you come across something better and get to know the country a bit more. :o

List Annexed to the Royal Decree Naming Occupations and Professions Prohibited to Foreigners, B.E. 2522 (1979)

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A: 1.Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B. 1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.

2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.

3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4 Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

5. Land, water & ie. transport.

Category C. You are allowed to do the following. Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.

Service: anything not in A or B.

from Here.. http://www.thaivisa.com/330.0.html

I'm 100% now, Cat A.... :D

totster :o

Edited by Totster

List Annexed to the Royal Decree Naming Occupations and Professions Prohibited to Foreigners, B.E. 2522 (1979)

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A: 1.Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B. 1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.

2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.

3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4 Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

5. Land, water & ie.  transport.

Category C. You are allowed to do the following. Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.

Service: anything not in A or B.

from Here.. http://www.thaivisa.com/330.0.html

I'm 100% now, Cat A....  :D

totster  :o

You see what you can do with a little bit of effort. :D

I bet one of your teachers said to you once Totster. :D

Edited by bkkmadness

You see what you can do with a little bit of effort. :D

I bet one of your teachers said to you once Totster. :D

Actually.. their favorite was "lacks concentration" :o

.. anyway... what were we talking about..? :D

totster :D

it's 6:30 and a beautiful Bangkok morning and I'm drunk, so excuse my waffling. :D

My school reports were always roughly the same message "could do well, but never bothers making the effort"

###### accurate really. :D

It is often posted in this forum as to what trades are not allowed to be performed here.

Would there be any legal obstacle to a journeyman plumber from a western country comng here and setting up a plumbing business, hiring thai appretices and a interpreter with the jouneyman plumber acting as a director, training and supervising the Thais. After all, the western plumber's primary value to the business would be his knowledge and standards, not his abilitly to glue pipe, etc.

Perhaps it is a dream but expat run businesses in all the trades would be welcomed and would get all my business.

Hi there all, Yep I'm a NEWBIE so go gentle on me please.

I'm a plumber/kitchen & bathroom fitter of many years exp; I'm now so close in fullfilling my dream of living in Thailand so as I can be with the most prettiest women in the world.

I would like to take time in finding this lady, so thought that living in Thailand might be a good idea, but while there I still gotta eat, so i thought i could offer my services as a professional plumber/fitter.....BUT is ther work out there for an English plumber??

If so anyone know of any web sites offering work? or would it be best if I offered my services in local newspapers or EX PAT weekly (I guessing the name here)

I'm only 42 kiddies of hands now, single, so thought "Hey why not go and find your ideal lady in Thailand, (always had strong feelings for thai women)

Any help here people I would very much remember you, when i come to Thailand.

Shesmu (its a ancient Egypt underworld God)

Well Mr. God if you could PM me your details I might have something of interest for you.

It is often posted in this forum as to what trades are not allowed to be performed here.

Would there be any legal obstacle to a journeyman plumber from a western country comng here and setting up a plumbing business, hiring thai appretices and a interpreter with the jouneyman plumber acting as a director, training and supervising the Thais.  After all, the western plumber's primary value to the business would be his knowledge and standards, not his abilitly to glue pipe, etc.

Perhaps it is a dream but expat run businesses in all the trades would be welcomed and would get all my business.

Would agree in principle, but am not generous enough to pay anything like UK plumber rates. My current plumber, who is generally as good as any Brit plumber I have come across, charges 400 baht a day. This would have bought me a "Now let me see" in the UK :o

My current plumber, who is generally as good as any Brit plumber I have come across,

Is he now?

Does he (or she) have the equivelent of ACOPS or CORGI registration?

What about 15, 22, and 28 mm copper pipe and soft copper tube is he OK with that?

Next time you see him ask what a manometer is I am sure he will have one in his toolbox.

From what I have seen here with plumbers, usually on the wife's side is they are OK with PVC pipe and a tub of glue and thats it.

My current plumber, who is generally as good as any Brit plumber I have come across,

Is he now?

What about 15, 22, and 28 mm copper pipe and soft copper tube is he OK with that?

Next time you see him ask what a manometer is I am sure he will have one in his toolbox.

From what I have seen here with plumbers, usually on the wife's side is they are OK with PVC pipe and a tub of glue and thats it.

Most people are only interested in results! Having worked in property development for many years in the UK, registration is a joke. Some of the most incompetent plumbers I have come across were CORGI registered. :D

For the prices they charge one would expect more sophisticated equipment, after all the customer pays for it. Personally I just want a plumbing system that works. :o

so it looks like you are limited to teaching english and or opening a bar in order to fullfill your dreams of a hot woman every night....

plumbers only neeed to know sticking blue pipe together thats all there is to it.

you could prolly open a contracting company employing thais to do the work but you wouldnt stand a chance in the long term

"..... let me see  "  In the UK he wouldn't even look for 400 baht 

:D

He wouldn't even look for 4,000 baht Doc!! :D

Cheapest I could find a London plumber last year was 5,000+ baht for the call-out and then 4,500 baht an hour!!! :o

At least he wasn't a cowboy...... :D

Just a bandit....... :D

Is he now?

In Thailand that's about all that's necessary.....pvc pipe and a tub of glue. I do my own plumbing and that plus a few twist on fittings is all there is to it. In the USA we say that all you need to know to be a plumber is that human waste flows downhill and payday is friday. Back in the US I have taught people to solder copper pipe who were literally afraid to pick up the propane torch.....after I had them play with the torch for about half an hour I showed them how to sand the mating surfaces, apply the flux, measure the solder and how to heat the joint and voila....they all did it right the first time!!

Edited by chownah

Well people thanks for all your advice.

Shame, but rules is rules.

Just thought that i could go to thailand find a lady, settle down, raise rug rats, re-paint the picket fence every year..........Ohhhh Bliss.

Well people thanks for all your advice.

Shame, but rules is rules.

Just thought that i could go to thailand find a lady, settle down, raise rug rats, re-paint the picket fence every year..........Ohhhh Bliss.

If you are a pro, I reckon you might rec a few PMs.

But anything you make in los will be pocket money, and don't forget to buy a Balaclava. :o

Good luck and welcome to LoS.