Telecommunications Thai Style

backsoon

I was annoyed. I became agitated. I am hopping mad now. And there is nowhere to turn.

The situation in Thailand with Internet provider has reached the dead end.

I am currently using ADSL with TOT. Not by choice, but there is no alternative in my area.

Every time I switch my PC on I am anxious. In 7 out of 10 cases all I get is:

The page you are looking for is not available or

We are currently very busy. Please come again later or

The YMessenger has experienced difficulties in signing in

etc., etc., etc.

The real pain is, these things happen at 6-00am, or on weekends, or on public holidays, or at 10-00pm.

If I were running a business, I would be loosing it. As it is, - I am loosing my mind!!!

Of course I have rang 1100 complaining. With very little help.

Of course they are always 'working on the problem'.

Of course I have checked my PC and my Modem. No problem there.

Of course I was told 'the optic fibre cable is damaged'. It helps to know that in the same building there is Internet in the office and in other apartments working!

I understand, that the major problem is MONOPOLY. No healthy competition, hence no services provided. Or is this just ME?

Would like to see other people opinions, advice, etc. :)

• Like 1

I worked for TOT putting the existing fiber network in. It was a very trying time. But to clarify, even half way through the role out we were getting up to eight fiber breaks a day around the country. Why so high. TOT in their wisdom layed the majority of cable above ground. Cheaper sure but open to accidents and people thinking its copper and pinching it. It will be on going for a long time. Put this together with the way things work here and you get............

• Like 1

What are your Download signal to noise (SNR) and attenuation numbers as identified by your modem. You'll find these numbers in your modem setup probably under a Status setting/menu.

A physical line problem, even inside your house, could be causing your problem. If the line problem is inside your house, then it's your responsibility to fix; if it's the TOT line leading to your residence, then it's TOT's responsibility to fix. If it's a physical line problem, then switching to another ISP probably ain't going to help if that ISP still uses TOT's line.

For reliable/quality/high speed internet service in Thailand it all boils down to location, location, location, because internet and phone infrastructure investment varies greatly. If you live in certain areas of the Bangkok Metropolitan Area, key areas of Pattaya, and some other high population location/cities your chances are much higher you can get good internet service. But it seems the remaining 95% of country is internet-challenged.

Many possible reasons for your troubles.

First step definitely is to check your ADSL line quality like Pib said.

You will have to access the modem's web interface, login usually is admin/tot.

try

http://192.168.1.1 or

http://192.168.0.1

Another idea: take your modem to your neighbour and see how the connection is there. If it works fine, then the (inhouse) cable to your apartment is the troublemaker (just as siamect suggested).

Be aware that the inhouse cabling is not TOTs responsibility. However, they should at least have had the line checked when they installed the modem or should stop by and do it now.

Otherwise I recommend contacting your local TOT office, not the 'global' hotline. And as always in Thailand: make your point and be persistent, but stay calm and friendly.

welo

Many possible reasons for your troubles.

First step definitely is to check your ADSL line quality like Pib said.

You will have to access the modem's web interface, login usually is admin/tot.

try

http://192.168.1.1 or

http://192.168.0.1

Another idea: take your modem to your neighbour and see how the connection is there. If it works fine, then the (inhouse) cable to your apartment is the troublemaker (just as siamect suggested).

Be aware that the inhouse cabling is not TOTs responsibility. However, they should at least have had the line checked when they installed the modem or should stop by and do it now.

Otherwise I recommend contacting your local TOT office, not the 'global' hotline. And as always in Thailand: make your point and be persistent, but stay calm and friendly.

welo

welo, Pib, siamect et al. Thank you all.

Problem is, I am not a comp Wiz. All I can see is that I can not have internet when I want it.

My modem is @Bell and the local TOT guys gave it clear bill of health. The 'inhouse cabling' is a possibility, but on the other hand a) this is an intermittent problem, rather than constant; B) in a building of over 100 units there are usually only 5-6 present and/or using internet; c) I am using this 192.168.1.1 whatever-it-is; d) I am 200km from BKK and obviously am in the 'retard' category (challenged?); e) in all the cases when there is no internet my telephone is working!...

This is all I know, except the fact that I have one phone line and the phone and my PC are connected via a kind of a gadget the size of a matchbox with one side into the phone socket and the other side with double outlet (one to phone, the other to modem).

Any problem with this?

Still very miserable... :bah:

When using the telephone, do you hear any crackling noise or static? If so, you have a wiring and/or filter problem.

This is all I know, except the fact that I have one phone line and the phone and my PC are connected via a kind of a gadget the size of a matchbox with one side into the phone socket and the other side with double outlet (one to phone, the other to modem).

That matchbox sized gadget is called a "splitter" -- a device used to isolate phone and ADSL signals. Have you tried connecting directly without the splitter? I suggest you try this as there's always a distinct possibility the splitter could be faulty.

Also check your ADSL modem stats and post SNR and Line Attenuation figures here. Take note of any excessive errors, namely Super Frame (CRC) and HEC errors. The numbers don't lie and could go a long way in explaining what/where the problem is.

Edited by Supernova

When using the telephone, do you hear any crackling noise or static? If so, you have a wiring and/or filter problem.

That matchbox sized gadget is called a "splitter" -- a device used to isolate phone and ADSL signals. Have you tried connecting directly without the splitter? I suggest you try this as there's always a distinct possibility the splitter could be faulty.

Also check your ADSL modem stats and post SNR and Line Attenuation figures here. Take note of any excessive errors, namely Super Frame (CRC) and HEC errors. The numbers don't lie and could go a long way in explaining what/where the problem is.

Thanks, Supernova. The 'splitter' is fine. When I talk on the phone with PC running,- no ill effects.

When I do have Internet, everything is OK, including image and sound.

When there is no Internet, pluging in directly does not help, I tried.

Today, from 10am till 1-30pm my YM could not sign in. As it is signing automatically, a smal box appeared about 10 times ' we are very busy,-try later'. When I tried to get GOOGLE or Yahoo,- 'page not available'. For almost 4hrs!!!. Now I am OK, writing this. I must be mad. What is the use of having an expensive PC ? :rolleyes: Every day is like this!!!