The Preferred Brewsky Of Expats And Locals?

greenwanderer108

What is the preferred brewsky of forumers?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is the preferred brewsky of forumers?

• 1.Chang
    • 2.Singh(a)
    • 3.Leo
    • 4.Thai
    • 5.Lao
    • 6.Archa
    • 7.Tiger
    • 8.Blue Ice
    • 9.Red Horse
    • 10.Heiniken
    • 11.Klosters
    • 12.Asha (japanese dry)
    • 13.Sato
    • 14.Spirits
    • 15.Wine/wine coolers
    • 16.Other

This poll is closed to new votes

well

I see were discussing premium ginZ.

Well traditionally among Gin drinkers Bombay Saphirre premium gin is usually in 1st place, although it MUST be noted that Tanqueray premium gin is in the same family as Bombay. Now i know that Bombay is TECHNICALLY a better gin, my favorte gin is definetely TANQUERAY Gin. This is like comparing Ferraris and Lamborgini's woRD? One might be faster then the other while the other might be more stylish, although they both blow the other cars out of the water. Gordins gin is trash, Beefeater is for luddites, and Gilbleys.. jesus christ they sell that ######ing shit at Family mart for ######s sake. While we are on the topic of super premium gins though, IT MUST BE NOTED that Tanqueray has the best gin in the world, one of the only SUPER PREMIUM gins around, the much heralded TANQUERAY No.10 Gin, which is produced in small batches in, thats right, batch number 10 over at old man tanquerays plant in England. And ge this, they use fresh HAND PICKED botanicals for Tanqueray number 10.. theonly way to go. I have never seen this in Thailand before but i must assume it is availiable in BKK somewhere.

Also, since gin is very expensive in Thailand i usually just get drunk as ###### from 1 to 3 bottles of Sangsom. I love drinking rum. Also i enjoy XO cognac very much, but i usually only drink that when it is free.

Have a magnificent day,

-c

When you can't buy any beer brewed in another country for under 100 baht,

Which in most cases is cheaper than buying it in the country it came from.

In Pubs & Bars

Thailand Home

Budweiser 125 140

V.B. 90 120

Crown 100 130

Guinness 160 140

Strongbow 140 130

Erdinger 95 95

Warsteiner 90 95

Tetleys Bitter 140 120

So which type of Dude are you? Flash git or learner. Either way you should not be complaining about a few pence.

To reiniterate, there are some great beers available in Thailand for somewhere around the same price as in the country of origin.

N.B. For home these prices are average. Some places cost a lot more, some a lot less. For Thailand there is not that much difference where you go.

What? No Lao Khow :D

Good point. A nice on is Krating Dum. Pretty smooth and mixes well....

Eh... Smooth Lao Khao...? :o

totster :D

I already advertised this on my previous post.

Only thing I don't drink is the common brand of Lao Khao, which you can see at every Seven. But the Leaderprice brand is fine, and even cheaper. 

Leaderprice Lao Khao, it is smooth. Try it!

Only thing I don't drink is the common brand of Lao Khao, which you can see at every Seven. But the Leaderprice brand is fine, and even cheaper. 

I'm intrigued... I will hunt it out next time I am there... :D

I'm intrigued... I will hunt it out next time I am there... :D

Try Big C or similar.

Way cheaper in volume than Singha. And 40 % alcohol of course. :D

I will mostly always choose Leo over Chang... but Chang if no Leo... but then sometimes just Chang anyway... but I voted Leo 

totster 

I drank Leo a couple of times, but it was very weak, but quite refreshing.

I gave up the booze before Leo Super was on the go, is this like chang?

I used to really enjoy Leo Super. Saw it only in Bangkok in 1999. Never seen in again. Shame.

When you can't buy any beer brewed in another country for under 100 baht,

Which in most cases is cheaper than buying it in the country it came from.

In Pubs & Bars

Thailand Home

Budweiser 125 140

V.B. 90 120

Crown 100 130

Guinness 160 140

Strongbow 140 130

Erdinger 95 95

Warsteiner 90 95

Tetleys Bitter 140 120

So which type of Dude are you? Flash git or learner. Either way you should not be complaining about a few pence.

To reiniterate, there are some great beers available in Thailand for somewhere around the same price as in the country of origin.

N.B. For home these prices are average. Some places cost a lot more, some a lot less. For Thailand there is not that much difference where you go.

I am not referring to buying say a stale 6 month old Bud in a bar but rather grabbing some brews for my fridge.

Leo or Asahi. 

Asahi brewed in Khon Kaen is now reasonably affordable, and a good brew.

It's cheaper to buy Asahi in Thailand than it is in Japan now!  :o

Dude, that Asahi brewed in thailand is c-r-a-p nasty stuff. The Japan brewed stuff is nice. Hey Thailand! hows about allowing beer brewed outside of your borders to be sold here without a crippling duty tacked onto it. Used to be able buy Singapore brewed Tiger here for 53 baht/can in Foodland. Then Carlsberg left and they had to ruin the Tiger by brewing it here. So much for the last reasonably priced import

[uote]

I am not referring to buying say a stale 6 month old Bud in a bar but rather grabbing some brews for my fridge.

Well, it's a lot lot cheaper then. Since when does beer go stale in six months. You sound to me like someone who doesn't buy wine over three months old cause it might be off. :o

CGCory wrote

Well traditionally among Gin drinkers Bombay Saphirre premium gin is usually in 1st place, although it MUST be noted that Tanqueray premium gin is in the same family as Bombay. Now i know that Bombay is TECHNICALLY a better gin, my favorte gin is definetely TANQUERAY Gin. This is like comparing Ferraris and Lamborgini's woRD? One might be faster then the other while the other might be more stylish, although they both blow the other cars out of the water.
Agreed. I started on Bomaby and recognise it for the 'premiumness' that it is; but there's something about the 'citrisy' taste of Tanq that won me over. Both will definitely do though!
Gordins gin is trash, Beefeater is for luddites, and Gilbleys.. jesus christ they sell that ######ing shit at Family mart for ######s sake.

I was surprised at how well Gordons tasted; but my G&T was obviously done by a master mixer; I can't get my Gordons/tonics to taste as good. :o

While we are on the topic of super premium gins though, IT MUST BE NOTED that Tanqueray has the best gin in the world, one of the only SUPER PREMIUM gins around, the much heralded TANQUERAY No.10 Gin, which is produced in small batches in, thats right, batch number 10 over at old man tanquerays plant in England. And ge this, they use fresh HAND PICKED botanicals for Tanqueray number 10.. theonly way to go.
Tried it and liked it as well!
Also, since gin is very expensive in Thailand...

Don't be a 'gin-snob' :D ; most gins if mixed well ( 1 1/2 oz. over 2 cubes of ice in a tall glass for me thanks!)...taste pretty dam.n good by me.

Also underrated, IMHO, is seagrams. A little sweet but very nice!

As noted previously, I can literally drink gin off the gun and be happy as a pig in s.hit; but if I go up a grade, can't go back down or I can taste the difference... :D

And lastly, it is a pleasure talking gin with a felow gin-lover; almost as enjoyable as talking pussy with a true rogue; [Japaneses schoolgirls and generic Thais females for me thanks! :D ]

IA

PS. Not too young and not too old preferably. Too 'aged' and there can be a less than favorable 'bouquet'. :D

Edited by IsaanAlex

kringle wrote:
Gin is my friend and would rather have that than anything else. Hard to find places that have a decent Gin though> I'm a fan of Bombay (the old style with the Queen on the bottle). Price being what it is in Bangkok and I drink Heinekin or Chang.

Gin is a very good friend indeed. :o

I am partial to, in this order, ...Tanqauray, Bombay, Seagrams, Beefeater or Gordons, etc.

I can even drink floor-dripping and rotgut and enjoy it (alot!); but once I step up to a higher grade, there is no way I can 'lower myself' in the same night.

There are some surprising bargains with gin in Thailand if you are willing to go base-grade. Not much more than 150 baht a bottle at times. About the same price as the Jinro brand that I bought while I was in Korea. A fine ditiller they are too; and that was for a 26 oz'er bottle...

IA

PS. With beer it's Leo or Japanese (preferably Asahi).

I have found myself drinking Asahi recently, as the new Asahi girl in The Mall is very persuasive & cute

kringle wrote:
Gin is my friend and would rather have that than anything else. Hard to find places that have a decent Gin though> I'm a fan of Bombay (the old style with the Queen on the bottle). Price being what it is in Bangkok and I drink Heinekin or Chang.

Gin is a very good friend indeed. :D

I am partial to, in this order, ...Tanqauray, Bombay, Seagrams, Beefeater or Gordons, etc.

I can even drink floor-dripping and rotgut and enjoy it (alot!); but once I step up to a higher grade, there is no way I can 'lower myself' in the same night.

There are some surprising bargains with gin in Thailand if you are willing to go base-grade. Not much more than 150 baht a bottle at times. About the same price as the Jinro brand that I bought while I was in Korea. A fine ditiller they are too; and that was for a 26 oz'er bottle...

IA

I have found myself drinking Asahi recently, as the new Asahi girl in The Mall is very persuasive & cute

Very cute indeed! :D ! :o

kringle wrote:

Gin is a very good friend indeed. :D

IA

Very cute indeed! :D ! :o

You cad Sir!! She said she only had eyes for me. Might see you there this afternoon.

A bit off the topic.

You can order cans of Singha/40 baht piece and get them delivered to your home. :D

Around Ari, Pizzanotti. Phone 028008089.

Pizzas are fair real pizzas, not the thai pizza hut/comp. crap. But over priced 230-380. Delivery orders over 230, delivery free.

:o

Edited by sonnyJ