How Can I Stop Getting Ants In The House

chris5346

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

we are getting ants in the house , what can i do ?

in the u.k i would just put some Nippon on a coin and with in a few days they would dissapear.

i can't find nippon here - maybe there's an equivalent ? also i've looked into getting some sent from the uk but i think customs wont allow it ?

some ants are red and some black - maybe nippon from uk wont work here ?

i have gone around all the ceilings and filled the small holes etc

i've also put some powder down but i've got a newborn and i don't like using it. i've put powder outside the house also,

we try to clean floors and are careful with dropping food but still a few come.

any suggestions ?

The small red ants (fire-ants) found here in Thailand are some of the most pesky and fierce you will find anywhere...and they pack a wallop of a sting (and the mandibles of the "soldiers" guarding the trails and nests can give you quite a pinch as well. There is really nothing you can do to keep them out of your house if they want to get in. Therefore, the only thing one can do is to make it so they have no reason to want to come into your home. Basically, this means not putting out a free food buffet for them...unfortunately, a "buffet" to an ant colony can be a few grains a sugar gone astray on the table or floor when you were sugaring your morning cereal. It could be dirty dishes left in the sink for a few minutes before being washed to a speck of meat that was dropped on the floor while making a sandwich. These ants will eat just about anything with any type of sugar, meat, or fatty-animal oil content. They can also bite their way into sealed lactic Zip-lock bags containing these items as well as plastic food containers of things like chips and cookies!

The only real remedy is to keep you home spotlessly clean and to seal up opened food packaging in heavy duty jars and plastic/rubber containers. Even sometimes this doesn't work for if things are keep long-term in storage in rubber type containers (I had a container of whey protein powder and a plastic jar of dry cat food eaten into by these critters)! Also, for items that are not going to be air-tight sealed after opening, the refrig is a good place to store them. Also watch your food storage areas (pantry) for if you keep boxes of unopened food there for any length of time for future use (like extra boxes of cereal you bought on sale) these ants will find them and can easily bite their way thou the foil/plastic interior bags inside the boxes and there goes your expensive purchase.

The small red ants (fire-ants) found here in Thailand are some of the most pesky and fierce you will find anywhere...and they pack a wallop of a sting (and the mandibles of the "soldiers" guarding the trails and nests can give you quite a pinch as well. There is really nothing you can do to keep them out of your house if they want to get in. Therefore, the only thing one can do is to make it so they have no reason to want to come into your home. Basically, this means not putting out a free food buffet for them...unfortunately, a "buffet" to an ant colony can be a few grains a sugar gone astray on the table or floor when you were sugaring your morning cereal. It could be dirty dishes left in the sink for a few minutes before being washed to a speck of meat that was dropped on the floor while making a sandwich. These ants will eat just about anything with any type of sugar, meat, or fatty-animal oil content. They can also bite their way into sealed lactic Zip-lock bags containing these items as well as plastic food containers of things like chips and cookies!

The only real remedy is to keep you home spotlessly clean and to seal up opened food packaging in heavy duty jars and plastic/rubber containers. Even sometimes this doesn't work for if things are keep long-term in storage in rubber type containers (I had a container of whey protein powder and a plastic jar of dry cat food eaten into by these critters)! Also, for items that are not going to be air-tight sealed after opening, the refrig is a good place to store them. Also watch your food storage areas (pantry) for if you keep boxes of unopened food there for any length of time for future use (like extra boxes of cereal you bought on sale) these ants will find them and can easily bite their way thou the foil/plastic interior bags inside the boxes and there goes your expensive purchase.

I agree entirely with what you say about food, BUT if you regularly place small offerings of a sweet boric acid solution anywhere in the house that you have ants AND around the perimiter of your home there simply won't be any ants in your house to bother about. This really is very easily achievable... If you're having ants pounce on dropped food or dirty dishes then you have an ant problem - why not just use boric acid and have no ants? My preference anyway!