Greatest Guitar Solos -

chonabot

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great music and great names in all the above posts, just trying hard to think of someone not mentioned.

Hey, nobody has mentioned Jeff Beck?

Hey, go easy on the "brownies"... :D

I did in post# 21 and so have others... :D

Rats, I thought I had a new one... I`m not seeing purple elephants much these days...Not too often... :o:D

How about any of these then:

Six Strings Down - Jimmie Vaughan/Eric Clapton/Bonnie Raitt/Robert Cray/B.B. King/Buddy Guy/Dr. John

Tick Tock - Jimmie Vaughan/Eric Clapton/Bonnie Raitt/Robert Cray/B.B. King/Buddy Guy/Dr. John/Art Neville.

SRV Shuffle - Jimmie Vaughan/Eric Clapton/Bonnie Raitt/Robert Cray/B.B. King/Buddy Guy/Dr. John/Art Neville

If you are not already familiar with this grouping, it is from "A Tribute to SRV", Label Epicin the USA/International market. Astounding concert performed by all the above musicians, interviews, anf footage of SRV playing old gigs.

Just remembered Kimi`s Machine Gun from the Band of Gypsies album..

SImulating the sounds of grenades, napalm, machine gun`s at the time of the vietnam war...

:D Blew me away!! !

Rats, I thought I had a new one... I`m not seeing purple elephants much these days...Not too often... :o:D

Just remembered Kimi`s Machine Gun from the Band of Gypsies album..

SImulating the sounds of grenades, napalm, machine gun`s at the time of the vietnam war...

:D Blew me away!! !

Personally, I preferred Jimi's version of that same album... :D

One of the greatest ever produced..

Buddy Guy's drumwork is ... well.. Jack Black from the movie, "School of Rock", would have described it as "gut-busting"!... :D:D

Buddy Guy's drumwork is ... well.. Jack Black from the movie, "School of Rock", would have described it as "gut-busting"!...   :D  :o

His Guitar work is even better , Buddy Miles , now there's a drummer.... :D

Hahahaha... guilty as charged.. totally mixed up the names (guess I must have been thinking of this as a "guitar" thread...and Buddy Guy (a great bluesman, btw) came to mind.

yes, of course... it was Buddy Miles.... not to be confused with the other great drummer, Buddy Rich.... too dang many "Buddy's" in the music world.

and since no one else has mentioned it, my own air guitar riffs are widely known and quite respected.

Quoting Guitar World magazine:

This virtuoso performance by famed air guitar legend Sriracha John was a night not to be missed. The spontaneity displayed and livid expressions used were in keeping with the highest traditions of rock and blues.

:o

sriracha john

Personally, I preferred Jimi's version of that same album... 

One of the greatest ever produced..

Buddy Guy's drumwork is ... well.. Jack Black from the movie, "School of Rock", would have described it as "gut-busting"!... 

Buddy Guy's drumwork is ... well.. Jack Black from the movie, "School of Rock", would have described it as "gut-busting"!...   :D  :D

His Guitar work is even better , Buddy Miles , now there's a drummer.... :D

Hahahaha... guilty as charged.. totally mixed up the names (guess I must have been thinking of this as a "guitar" thread...and Buddy Guy (a great bluesman, btw) came to mind.

yes, of course... it was Buddy Miles.... not to be confused with the other great drummer, Buddy Rich.... too dang many "Buddy's" in the music world.

:o:D what goes around comes around... :D:D

I can think of a few Bowie ones -

The Man Who Sold The World

Starman

Scary Monsters

Anyone know the gutarists?

I guess Mick Ronson, SRV, or maybe it was Robert Fripp.

The one that gets me reaching for the invisible guitar everytime is "whisky in the jar", maybe because it is the only one I can play.

hard to pin it down to just one , but creams (clapton) solo on the live version of crossroads is just phenomenal , speedy , note perfect , seemingly spontaneeous and he doesnt hiccough once.

dave gilmours solo on comfortably numb brings the neck hairs up every time.

the intro on the live version of down by the river by neil young is another great bit of playing and i agree with another poster who said that with neil young its not the number of notes played , but the feeling put into the strings direct from his soul.

the guitar work on jeff becks "who else"

zappas guitar on "willie the pimp" and "hot rats" , in fact most of his solos.

the rarely mentioned robin trower deserves some recognition for his playing too.

there is no volume setting loud enough to do justice to "too rolling stoned " from the "bridge of sighs" album.

zappas guitar on "willie the pimp" and "hot rats" , in fact most of his solos.

the rarely mentioned robin trower deserves some recognition for his playing too.

there is no volume setting loud enough to do justice to "too rolling stoned " from the "bridge of sighs" album.

My Top 3 list included both these superlative gentlemen. :o

It's hard to believe it's been 30+ years for Bridge of Sighs. If I had a dollar for everytime I've played it, I'd be able buy out Mr. T.... Quite surprisingly I've not needed to spend any of it on hearing aids... yet :D

Often wished I had the proverbial "11" on the volume setting (From the movie "Spinal Tap") for this album in particular

It's been an interesting span of time updating it from vinyl, to 8-track, to cassette, to CD, to MP3..... :D

Edited by sriracha john

It's hard to believe it's been 30+ years for Bridge of Sighs. If I had a dollar for everytime I've played it,

some albums just never seems to date , and that album is one of them , it sounds just as fresh today as it did 30 years ago , it get played a lot in taxexile towers too.