Greatest Guitar Solos -

chonabot

Well being a guitarist and seeing how the theme of Rock songs is popular these days I though I would start a thread on that all important part of a rock song , the solo........Please choose your top 3 and I'll have some viewing pleasure for the next few days hope fully :o

My 3

ps only one from each artist please.

1. Since I've been loving you - Led Zep ( Mr Page )

2. Are you experienced ? - Hendrix

3. Eruption - Van Halen ( Edward )

:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alive - Pearl Jam

Hotel California - Eagles.. ( dont say it, BUT this taxi driver was playing it on this amazing sound system in his cab, while I was coming back from Pattaya, I was drunk and it was at night and I just realized what a great lead break it really is)

AC-DC - Back in Black (just coz its a cool song)

there are just to many, too many....

Best intro to a song......

Sweet child o'mine (ablum track) - Gun's and Rose's

This is an impossible request!!!

I’ve just spent the last hour listening to Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, Gary Moore, Jimmie Page even Larry Carlton – all contenders for this top three – and I’m sure I’ve missed at least a half dozen.

In the end I decided to stiffen the criteria – the guitar solos had to have really blown my mind or reduced me to tears the fist time I heard them – and must continue to do so.

In the end I decided on:

1. Voodoo Chile – Jimi Hendrix (the most inventive rock guitarist ever bar non)

2. Free Bird (Outtake version or live at Atlanta) – Lynyrd Skynyrd (the best ensemble guitar solos ever recorded)

3. Samba pa Ti – Carlos Santana (beauty and perfection).

I’ve just spent the last hour listening to Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, Gary Moore, Jimmie Page even Larry Carlton – all contenders for this top three – and I’m sure I’ve missed at least a half dozen.

Easily that many .... couldn't limit to just 3 .... or 5 .... or 10 ....

- Stevie Ray Vaughn, pick any

- Mike Bloomfield (Butterfield Blues Band & solo), pick any

- Charlie Batey (Lil' Charlie & The Nightcats), pick any

- Anson Funderburgh (Anson Funderburgh & the Rockets), pick any

- Gary Moore, pick any

- Lee Ritenour, pick any

- Duke Robillard & Herb Ellis (Conversations in Swing Guitar), pick any

- Duane Allman, pick any but I really like his session on "Loan Me a Dime" with Boz Scaggs

- Django Reinhardt, pick from dozens

- Buddy Guy (and many more of the great blues old timers)

- Jimmy Vaughn, pick any

- Jeff Healey, a truly unique style

- Stephen Stills aka Captain Manyhands, a virtuoso

and that's just off the top of my pointy little head ...

Edited by Spee

Easily that many .... couldn't limit to just 3 .... or 5 .... or 10 ....

- Stevie Ray Vaughn, pick any

- Mike Bloomfield (Butterfield Blues Band & solo), pick any

- Charlie Batey (Lil' Charlie & The Nightcats), pick any

- Anson Funderburgh (Anson Funderburgh & the Rockets), pick any

- Gary Moore, pick any

- Lee Ritenour, pick any

- Duke Robillard & Herb Ellis (Conversations in Swing Guitar), pick any

- Duane Allman, pick any but I really like his session on "Loan Me a Dime" with Boz Scaggs

- Django Reinhardt, pick from dozens

- Buddy Guy (and many more of the great blues old timers)

- Jimmy Vaughn, pick any

- Jeff Healey, a truly unique style

- Stephen Stills aka Captain Manyhands, a virtuoso

and that's just off the top of my pointy little head ...

How can you post such a distiguished list and not name Jimi Hendrix?

He could play, at least every white man on your list, into the ground.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Top stuff chaps , keep 'em comin.

Heres a few more-

Man of the World - Peter Green / F Mac ( simple but beautiful )

Crazy Train - Ozzy/Randy Rhoads (RIP) complicated but suay mahk

Cause we ended as lovers - Jeff Beck - Probably the best guitar track of all time

off the blow by blow LP , if you haven't heard it , you should do!

As a guitarist myself, I can't narrow the list to less than about 843 solos. However, some of my favourites include:

Albatross - FMac (but really just Peter Green)

Goodbye to Love - Carpenters (this is not trolling, I promise! Have a listen to Tony Peluso's full-length version, not just what they play on the radio, and tell me you're not impressed)

The Prettiest Star - Bowie (Mick Ronson on Aladdin Sane, NOT the cover on the greatest hits compilations)

Hello - Lionel Ritchie

Hotel Cal - obviously

And just about anything from Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Django Reinhardt, John Williams (no, he doesn't just play classical), Kevin Peek, Brian May, B B King, Clapton etc etc. There's also a session musician called Hamish something or other, a huge blond guy who backed Paul McCartney for a while. He is pretty special, too.

And just for something a bit different, have a listen to Woody Mann. He's a blues guitarist and possibly the most talented guitarist I have ever seen or heard. Even if you don't like blues, give your ears a treat.

Goodbye to Love - Carpenters (this is not trolling, I promise! Have a listen to Tony Peluso's full-length version, not just what they play on the radio, and tell me you're not impressed)

Hello - Lionel Ritchie

2 Great solo's that many have overlooked over the years , I have played both in covers bands and believe me , these 2 are harder than most of Claptons put together.

:o

I didn't know I was amongst so many like minded musicians. Well, I was going to say Freebird, Since I've been loving you and crossroads....Eruption just for the groundbreaking it did in Rock music....Santana has a lot ...Stevie Ray Vaughn has an amazing version of Voodoo Chile at El Mocambo theater....Rhandy Rhoads solo halfway through 'Suicide Solution' was just ear shattering for its time...The introduction of Neo classical in Hard Rock....Deep Purples "Highway Star"...The guitar outake "Eugenes' trick bag"( where Steve Vai(Satan) and Ralph Maccio battle it out in the movie Crossroads)...Zakk Wylde has an incredible sound with all the pinch harmonics, the guy just rips out solos like ripping out farts on a beer hangover....To sum it up....Although it is very difficult to choose and everything depends on the mood you are in....But lets say in a classic rock context....

1. The Solos in "Stairway to heaven"....

2. Freebird ....The live version in Knebworth where they blew the Stones off the stage.....The dual lead licks....Allen Collins on the Gibson Explorer, Steve Gaines on the Strat and Gary Rossington on Les Paul....Amazing

3. November Rain by Guns...Slash very melodic ...makes the les paul sing....and scream...

*** Neil Young this note is for you.....just to remind us all....that its not how many notes you can put in space....but how you put them!

Any drummers,guitarists, bassists in Pattaya area? :o

Edited by pluto_manibo

How can you post such a distiguished list and not name Jimi Hendrix?

He was already named in another list, so I didn't repeat. I didn't mean to slight him or any others. He was one indeed one of those rare few whose style is uniquely identifiable and self-created. He could play anything. He was most noted for his acid-rock stylings, but was first an accomplished jazz, blues and R&B slinger. I can only imagine what else he might have done over the last 30+ years.

Stevie RV`s version of Little Wing.

Jimi`s Red House Extended cut (the 11 minute version)

And as somebody mentioned, just for the chill raise hairs on your spine factor,

Brothers in arms, Dire Straits. (Oops, that was said about comfortably numb.... (Did I just slip a fourth one in there))

I keep it short and simple cos otherwise I`ll be stressing..."OH Siht, only three choices...!!!! "

I am also a guitar player and feel you guys have left off a lot of great stuff. Of course, considering my age my choices are going to be a little more contemporary compared to most of your classic ones. If none of you have heard any of these guys I am mentioning, I suggest you check them out.

1.) "Under A Glass Moon"--Dream Theater. (John Petrucci/Guitarist)

Dream Theater is one of the most talented, most fundamentally sound bands you'll ever hear and every member can play their instument to perfection. The guitar and drum tandem is unsurpassed.

2.) "Little Wing--Stevie Ray Vaughn.

As much as I love Jimi Hendrix, I just like SRV's version of this song better. If you have a good stereo system, listen to this song and turn up the volume real loud. His tone is so pure that you can even hear the buzz of his amplifier in the background when he stops playing for small moments. Classic!

3.) "The Embrace"--Al DiMeola.

If anyone out there has not heard this guy play, you're really missing out on some special playing. From soft, soulful melodies to blood-boiling solos, this man knows no bounds on the guitar. Easily one of the best guitarists ever and much too often overlooked.

If anyone doesnt have access to these songs, I would be more than happy to send you an MP3 of them via email to try and prove my opinions.

Also, I am quite surprised that more of you didnt mention Rush.

In case anyone is interested, here is an unofficial list of the 100 greatest guitar solos according to this website: Greatest solos ever?

I am also a guitar player and feel you guys have left off a lot of great stuff.  Of course, considering my age my choices are going to be a little more contemporary compared to most of your classic ones.  If none of you have heard any of these guys I am mentioning, I suggest you check them out.

1.) "Under A Glass Moon"--Dream Theater.  (John Petrucci/Guitarist)

Dream Theater is one of the most talented, most fundamentally sound bands you'll ever hear and every member can play their instument to perfection.  The guitar and drum tandem is unsurpassed.

As much as I love Jimi Hendrix, I just like SRV's version of this song better.  If you have a good stereo system, listen to this song and turn up the volume real loud.  His tone is so pure that you can even hear the buzz of his amplifier in the background when he stops playing for small moments.    Classic!

3.) "The Embrace"--Al DiMeola.

If anyone out there has not heard this guy play, you're really missing out on some special playing.  From soft, soulful melodies to blood-boiling solos, this man knows no bounds on the guitar.  Easily one of the best guitarists ever and much too often overlooked.

If anyone doesnt have access to these songs, I would be more than happy to send you an MP3 of them via email to try and prove my opinions.

Also, I am quite surprised that more of you didnt mention Rush.

In case anyone is interested, here is an unofficial list of the 100 greatest guitar solos according to this website:  Greatest solos ever?

3 great choices sir , I love all of Stevies work , Petrucci and Al diMeola are also geniuses.

That website is excellent also , thanks for the link!

:o

ps I'm still in my 30's and think that classic stuff can be of any time period.

Rock on!!!!!

Edited by chonabot

As much as I love Jimi Hendrix, I just like SRV's version of this song better.  If you have a good stereo system, listen to this song and turn up the volume real loud.  His tone is so pure that you can even hear the buzz of his amplifier in the background when he stops playing for small moments.    Classic!

Big 10-4 on that one. I feel the same way. One of my fav SRV albums is "In Session" where he jams in studio with another late great bluesman, Albert King.

Their guitar jams on great tunes like Stormy Monday, Pride and Joy, Blues at Sunrise and Albert King's version of BB King's "Ask Me No Questions", .... well ...., it's just awesome stuff.

It's amazing, you know ... everyone remembers where they were when certain events occurred. For me, it is JFKs death (my BD), the Challenger disaster, 9-11 and SRV's tragic accident. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at each of those, but not so many other things.

One other note .......

SRV got one of his early big breaks from none other than David Bowie. SRV was an up and comer in the Austin club scene and Bowie caught his act one night. Bowie was so impressed with the young slinger that he immediately signed him up to play lead and on Bowie's new single "Let's Dance!"

Digressing quite a bit from the original topic, but I was scanning through my ZEN Jukebox tonight and came across these other talented slingers, in addition to all the rest already posted:

- Jarma Kaukonen

- Robin Ford

- Nuno Mindelis

- John Lee Hooker

- Pat Metheny

- Ronnie Earl

- Taj Mahal

- Keb' Mo'

- Frank Zappa

- Steve Cropper

- Otis Rush

And for the women, how about:

- Bonnie Raitt

- Sue Foley

- Debbie Davies

All of these albums I have from these people have at least one fantastic solo on it. No way I could ever put them much above or below any other.

I didn't know I was amongst so many like minded musicians. Well, I was going to say Freebird, Since I've been loving you and crossroads....Eruption just for the groundbreaking it did in Rock music....Santana has a lot  ...Stevie Ray Vaughn has an amazing version of Voodoo Chile at El Mocambo theater....Rhandy Rhoads solo halfway through 'Suicide Solution' was just ear shattering for its time...The introduction of Neo classical in Hard Rock....Deep Purples "Highway Star"...The guitar outake "Eugenes' trick bag"( where Steve Vai(Satan) and Ralph Maccio battle it out in the movie Crossroads)...Zakk Wylde has an incredible sound with all the pinch harmonics, the guy just rips out solos like ripping out farts on a beer hangover....To sum it up....Although it is very difficult to choose and everything depends on the mood you are in....But lets say in a classic rock context....

1. The Solos in "Stairway to heaven"....

2. Freebird ....The live version in Knebworth where they blew the Stones off the stage.....The dual lead licks....Allen Collins on the Gibson Explorer, Steve Gaines on the Strat and Gary Rossington on Les Paul....Amazing

3. November Rain by Guns...Slash very melodic ...makes the les paul sing....and scream...

*** Neil Young this note is for you.....just to remind us all....that its not how many notes you can put in space....but how you put them!

Any drummers,guitarists, bassists in Pattaya area? :o

'Down by the River'....'Cowgirl in the Sand' ??? I think Neil knows where to put a note!

If only 3, then:

1. Robin Trower: Bridge of Sighs

2. Steve Vai: For The Love of God

3. Frank Zappa : Moving to Montana

Other favorite guitarists would include (in no particular order):

Jimi Hendrix

Joe Satriani

Albert King

B. B. King

Steve Howe (Yes)

Jeff Beck

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Ted Nugent

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

Ronnie Montrose

Johnny Winter

Alex Lifeson (Rush)

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Slash (GNR)

Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)

Robert Smith (The Cure)

and

Lam Morrison :o

SRV got one of his early big breaks from none other than David Bowie. SRV was an up and comer in the Austin club scene and Bowie caught his act one night. Bowie was so impressed with the young slinger that he immediately signed him up to play lead and on Bowie's new single "Let's Dance!"

Actually, Stevie got his big break from Jackson Browne who offered free studio time at his personal recording studio in Los Angeles. This is where they recorded their first studio album. A lot of the tracks were first takes and made it to the final pressing, that is how good/tight they were. Although Stevie, did record for the "Lets' Dance" album, he was promised many things such as being able to open with his own band on the David Bowie world tour...when Bowie didn't come through and made false promises....Stevie quit. What annoyed him the most was the fact that in the "Lets' dance" video.........Bowie is pretending to play the "Stevie" licks on the guitar.......Another footnote, Stevie was aked to play at the Montreux jazz Festival by Claude Nobbs(Organisor and Warner Bros executive)the "Funky Claude" from Smoke on the Water track by Deep Purple, he got booed off the stage....He went 5 yrs later and was the headliner..... :o

Edited by pluto_manibo

Steve Vai: For The Love of God

:D

Joe Satriani: Surfing With The Alien

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd): Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Off topic pluto_manibo, I think penzman plays guitar... :o

Edited by Jai Dee

Actually, Stevie got his big break from Jackson Browne who offered free studio time at his personal recording studio in Los Angeles. This is where they recorded their first studio album. A lot of the tracks were first takes and made it to the final pressing, that is how good/tight they were. Although Stevie, did record for the "Lets' Dance" album, he was promised many things such as being able to open with his own band on the David Bowie world tour...when Bowie didn't come through and made false promises....Stevie quit. What annoyed him the most was the fact that in the "Lets' dance" video.........Bowie is pretending to play the "Stevie" licks on the guitar.......Another footnote, Stevie was aked to play at the Montreux jazz Festival by Claude Nobbs(Organisor and Warner Bros executive)the "Funky Claude" from Smoke on the Water track by Deep Purple, he got booed off the stage....He went 5 yrs later and was the headliner..... :o

So he took SRV to Oz then......I believe that the Lets Dance clip was filmed in a country NSW pub with an an Aboriginal girl featuring......correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure that was the clip that was shown here and in the UK

Nothing new here, I'm afraid - as Tornado said, everyone's already posted the best. My comments:

...3.    Samba pa Ti – Carlos Santana (beauty and perfection).

Absolute perfection! You beat me to it, TM. Always my no. 1 guitar track. "Abraxas" LP - best ever.

..Goodbye to Love - Carpenters (this is not trolling, I promise! Have a listen to Tony Peluso's full-length version, not just what they play on the radio, and tell me you're not impressed)...

I always turn the volume up at the end of the Carpenters version to get the most out of that bit of guitar work! Now that I have a name (Tony Peluso) I'll try to get his longer version :o

... George Harrison was pretty good.

Yes! "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".