Any Good British/Irish Pub In Hh, Taxis

nickthebrit

hi all

I am thinking of moving down to HH, can anyone tell me if there are any good english/irish pubs, that are good longterm expats bars, ( not girly bars) and if so any links

also, whats the taxi score, down there, is it tuk tuks, or metre cabs, like bkk,

if tuk tuks, what the price per KM, are they as bad as phuket, or standard price like pattaya...

and/or any good expat clubs where i can meet longterm expats and have a beer, watch the sports and shoot the sh1t!!!

thanks

nick

Edited by nickthebrit

Not sure what you mean by "good" but all the farang owned bars in Hua Hin are owned by Brits. The expat community here is Brit . .maybe 90%

By "girly bars" they mean they typical bar here along Bintabat street . . which has bar girls attached to it . . for hire. When you walk along the street they welcome you and smile sweetly . .looking for customers of course.

There are no "ladyboy" bars in Hua Hin. . .in fact, there are no ladyboy bars in Thailand. (They are not attracted to each other . .why would they be? . .. and they just dont hang out together unless they are performing in a show. !!)

There are gay bars certainly . . .and there are also bars in Bangkok where you might find a ladyboy or two.

Here in Hua Hin there is a performance venue called the Blue Angel just off Bintabat . . .which I highly recommend. All ladyboys dressed to the nines and very entertaining. It is a scaled down version of the bigger "Simon shows" in Pattaya and Phuket . .but they do a great job in a small space. We always take our visitors there and they have a great time!! But it isnt a "bar " per se.

As the previous poster said, most of the bars in Hua Hin are Brit owned and operated, but if you are talking about "traditional" type pubs, we have two Irish pub/restaurants; El Murphy's and O'Neill's. You can google their names along with "Hua Hin" and you will find out if they are what you are looking for. They are both air conditioned and more upscale than the average beer bar here and neither of them have girls for hire.

There are no "ladyboy" bars in Hua Hin. . .in fact, there are no ladyboy bars in Thailand. (They are not attracted to each other . .why would they be? . .. and they just dont hang out together unless they are performing in a show. !!)

[/quote

Thaisomchai... No ladyboy bars in Huahin...................really?

what about the bar almost opposite the hotel with the shops on Bintabouh. usually plenty of ladyboys in there. also a few at the bar opposite the hotel at the overend of Binta. So i presume the statement was a tongue in cheek comment or you really need to open ya eyes

:blink::rolleyes:

My eyes are wide open thanks.

A "ladyboy" bar ( to me ) is a bar that caters to ladyboys . .not just one where some of them hang out. And I still have never seen a "ladyboy bar" or heard of any bar here or anywhere in Thailand ( not that I have been to check every bar!) that caters exclusively ( or to a great extent) to ladyboys, that advertises or seeks to draw ladyboy customers or that encourages their patronage to a degree that would allow it to be legitimately called a "ladyboy bar."

I HAVE seen bar girl/prostitute bars ( lots) gay bars, lesbian bars ( not in HH), sports bars, Irish bars, Swedish bars, karaoke bars, football bars, and the like.

If you are calling a "ladyboy bar" ANY bar where you might meet a ladyboy or two . . .well then, probably every bar in Thailand could qualify at one time or another!! Its a free country and they can. . . and DO . .. hang out wherever they like. Apart from the Blue Angel crowd, I have never seen more than two or three ladyboys together at any one time anywhere.

And though I walk up Bintabat a several times a week, I have no clue what bars you are referring to there in your post.

U-Turn on Binthabaht isn't Brit owned. Owner is Canadian. Across the road is Norwegian-owned AFAIK. Lolita's owner is from Oz.

soi 88 has several bars that are not "girly bars", just places where people not on the hunt can hang out.

Tuk tuks can be the same rip off as everywhere else but the prices aren't horrible if sharing in a group. No meter taxis like BKK but many taxis who give you a price which can be negotiated down somewhat if you use them frequently.

Edited by johnnyk

• 4 weeks later...

Nick there are many bars in Hua Hin where you can drink without any hassles, best one I found was Johnny Walkers in Soi Selekam. Is only a short walk from where O'Neil's Bar is.

Bar is normally frequented by lots of local expats and have Darts and Pool facilities there. Used to drink in the Mai Thai Bar on the road that the Hilton is in. Used to have 3 hr happy hours, so was a good late afternoon and early evening drink.

It is a far more relaxed scene than you will find in the likes of Bangkok or Pattaya.

In my opinion, U-Turn is a ladybar and never busy, actually I don't think i've ever seen anyone in there and the girls are old. Walk across to my girl friends bar (Nice n Easy) and buy her drinks, will keep her boss off my back. :rolleyes:

One of the best bars for ladys and good laugh is Valentine bar next to Toro, girls there are very nice and good times are to be had (Given my stamp of approval :P), pink panthers great too. But not for girls unless you like them in the 30s.

Edited by sam666

Walk across to my girl friends bar (Nice n Easy) and buy her drinks, will keep her boss off my back. :rolleyes:

your girlfriend?

shes my gf, ive been seeing her for ages, im in the uk at the moment but have just booked my flight upon reading your post.

i will be there tomorrow to sort this out.

be seeing ya.

Walk across to my girl friends bar (Nice n Easy) and buy her drinks, will keep her boss off my back. :rolleyes:

your girlfriend?

shes my gf, ive been seeing her for ages, im in the uk at the moment but have just booked my flight upon reading your post.

i will be there tomorrow to sort this out.

be seeing ya.

Ah well at least it's not your mother.

I still need her for the cheap drinks though, kinda sad when a bar girl has more money then your self, Bintabaht makes you poor.

:unsure:

What?

She's MY girlfriend!

I've been paying her 20,000 baht a month to be my GF!

More like 20bht for me :x, kinda funny you should say that though, many of them have told me about stupid Farangs sending these girls money, one even told me her friend had about 4 guys at same time sending her cash. She didn't even need to work :lol:

Edited by sam666

What?

She's MY girlfriend!

Yes rent a girlfriend.

I have heard some pay upto 50k a month, i know personally a guy pays 20k a month but has to pay 500 baht every time he has sex with her, she lives with him full time, unbelievable.

Norwegians are the worst, they will walk into a bar see a girl and take her to BKK for a visa, Norway must be full of BG's/prostitutes. Thailand makes instant liars of people, what do these guys tell their mum's, bet its not "Mum this is Noi, she was a prostitute but now she has stopped and will be my wife, OK".

CAZY PEOPLE HERE, BRAINS IN THEIR PANTS.

Edited by alina

You're catching on, Sam.

Tell me about it, only been here a month and I have bar girls making me help them get customers. I was at a friends bar the other night and I know them all there quite well including the ladyboys. He/She/It asked me not to leave yet and to carry on talking to the other drunken brit while she/he left with his mate, I was laughing so much by the end as he would ask every couple minutes where did my mate go? Everyone would be like, don't know but he'll be back soon haha :lol: dirty dirty boy :bah:

What?

She's MY girlfriend!

Yes rent a girlfriend.

I have heard some pay upto 50k a month, i know personally a guy pays 20k a month but has to pay 500 baht every time he has sex with her, she lives with him full time, unbelievable.

Norwegians are the worst, they will walk into a bar see a girl and take her to BKK for a visa, Norway must be full of BG's/prostitutes. Thailand makes instant liars of people, what do these guys tell their mum's, bet its not "Mum this is Noi, she was a prostitute but now she has stopped and will be my wife, OK".

CAZY PEOPLE HERE, BRAINS IN THEIR PANTS.

Lol wow, 20k and everytime they have sex 500 .... dam_n can I be his girlfriend??? How do you live with a girl and like her (presumeabley he must) and pay her like that. Shit you must know shes only there because your paying everytime you look at her. Sex can be had for so cheap, shit you only have to pay for drinks in clubs most of the time, well I suppose if your 60, you gotta do what you gotta do to live that dream life' with an 18 year old :D.

hi all

I am thinking of moving down to HH, can anyone tell me if there are any good english/irish pubs, that are good longterm expats bars, ( not girly bars) and if so any links

Please lads and ladies, can we get back on topic here... the op is looking for a pub to meet expats and have a beer and he specifically stated that it not be a bar with girls for sale. How this turned into a discussion about bars with girls and specific girls, I can't fathom but enough is enough.

Thanks