South To North 20 Mins Ago

dave2

Me and 4 friends saw it about 10:30pm Sat 19 June 10. We were on my balcony / verandah out near Khuan Mae Gwaang Dam, out near Doi Saket. Some good descriptions already posted here describe what we saw. Direction of travel of the Object (Unidentified and definitely Flying!) would be approx North, maybe a bit East of north. There are some tall trees about 25mtrs from where we were sitting -- after a bit of clear view we could then see it through the trees, as we looked NW direction. So it can't have been all that high in the sky. Flight path was straight but descending. It did look very hot - like something burning up on reentry.

I asked the GF to call the Royal Observatory (on the road up to Wat Doi Suthep) this morning and they said it was part of a Soyuz rocket.

Wikipedia says Soyuz TMA-19 was launched on 15 June 2010, heading for the International Space Station, on Expedition 24. But ... if it was a booster rocket from TMA-19 then it took rather a long time to re-enter earth's atmosphere! Would that be likely?

Soyuz TMA-19 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite exciting!