350,000 Baht/Month To Rent A Shop-House

simon43

A thread where you can relate the most bizarre or stupid business offers made to you in Thailand.

I wasted several hours yesterday talking with some Indian 'gentlemen' about a small hotel in a shop-house in Ao Nang that is available for lease. (I had previously checked out a similar property at 40,000 baht/month rent).

My 'scamdar' went into overdrive as soon as I met these guys. Fast-talking, very professional-looking, and I was the lucky guy who could take on this shop-house (with an unregistered 3+3+3+3+3+3 years lease) for the bargain sum of just 350,000 baht a month.

What was worrying to me is that there were (according to these guys), several parties flying in from overseas to check out this great offer. It's probably true as well, because there is a sucker born everyday.

I even checked my pockets after I made my excuses and left - in case I had been pick-pocketed!

So come on - have you been the lucky candidate for a better business offer than this one?

Simon

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 rai with a 10 meter muddy beach and the rest flat, with 8 wooden old bungalows on sale close to my restaurant in Koh Phangan for a wooping 70 millions baht.

But don't worry, you can rent the same land for 30 years for 55 millions.

6 years and still the advertising hang on the barbed wire. A bit discolored.

And I know this because of a telephone call. After that the old woman call me back not less than 10 times in a couple of days to ask me if I was interested, if I want bargain, etc.

All kinds of folks trying to use all kinds of silly things as collateral for loans:

-'their word,' that they'll pay me back like we're on some playground in elementary school (which for me is okay for some family members but pretty much no one else)

-buttering me up with praise even though they pretty much hardly know me and then asking for a loan 5 minutes later

-trying to convince me how it would be a much wiser financial decision to reduce my institutional (bank/finance company income) holdings to increase my market exposure (by investing in their business)

-trying to convince me even though they've managed their businesses to the point of nearly being choked/bled dry of all cash flow, that this one cash injection will surely turn it all around!

times XXX times... even more fun at odd hours, like I'm going to be more easily persuaded if I'm woken up at night (now I leave my non personal phone in my office), pitched by SMS, by email, by snail mail, by fax...

:)

'their word,'

My particular favourite. " Their word" I was selling my car a couple of months ago and one guy (who I didn't know from Adam) who said he liked it wanted to take it home and drop the money in "later in the week"

Or the bloke who shook my hand on the price and then called me back the next day offering 150000 baht less than we'd agreed on and wanted to pay in installments.

Err.....No.

Though I was offered the deal of the century about 9 years ago of a grotty 15 room 2 storey apartment block ( think crumbling upcountry 1500 baht a month Rajhabat student dorm style) on 1 rai on the outskirts of Khon Kaen for 50 million baht. The seller actually had the temerity to look offended when I started laughing.

Edited by mca

6 rai with a 10 meter muddy beach and the rest flat, with 8 wooden old bungalows on sale close to my restaurant in Koh Phangan for a wooping 70 millions baht.

But don't worry, you can rent the same land for 30 years for 55 millions.

6 years and still the advertising hang on the barbed wire. A bit discolored.

And I know this because of a telephone call. After that the old woman call me back not less than 10 times in a couple of days to ask me if I was interested, if I want bargain, etc.

It's just so common to see a land/house For Sale sign posted like above for X baht and that same sign will stay there until the sign rots away. You just wonder if the person is too stubborn to lower the price, willing to wait many years for their price, too lazy to replace the sign, whether it's still really for sale, etc. Seems the selling of many properties in Thailand reply heavily on word of mouth, a person just happenning to see the property for sale, just waiting for that particular buyer who wants the piece of property bad...if it turns out to be a 20 year wait, then that is fine.

really that sounds like a great deal compared to mine,i have to pay 9000 baht a month for a 5 story shop house,mind you mines at sukhumvit 71,you should snap that deal up as soon as you can and tell him how well hes given you such a good deal on it.

55555555555555555's

.. you should snap that deal up as soon as you can and tell him how well hes given you such a good deal on it.

Yes, I was tempted :)

Even when I explained the simple maths of income at 12 rooms at x baht/night, at y% occupancy + some extras = a lot less than his monthly rental - he had the audacity to say 'do not look at the figures - go and look at the location - it's worth much more than just numbers'

I was so shocked over this offer, I had to go and drink several beers afterwards to calm myself down.

Simon

It's just so common to see a land/house For Sale sign posted like above for X baht and that same sign will stay there until the sign rots away.

My neighbour put a "For Sale" sign on his gate about 6 months back. His house is exactly the same as ours on the same size of land. My wife paid about 1.5 million for ours 10 years ago. He hasn't got any aircon, mod cons etc. at all.

I asked him how much he wanted for it. 5 million.

As of last week no takers surprisingly.

The same when my sister in law was interested in a year old Honda Accord with about 10k on the clock. The seller wanted more than they were new.

^ I recall a local Khon Kaen bigwig paid more than the list price for a 7 series Beemer after the 2003 APEC conference because it had been used by the VIP delegates.

I mean having the arse of the Malaysian Finance Minister on your back seat for a few kiliometeres isn't exactly the same as digging up James Dean Porsche is it.

.. you should snap that deal up as soon as you can and tell him how well hes given you such a good deal on it.

Yes, I was tempted :)

Even when I explained the simple maths of income at 12 rooms at x baht/night, at y% occupancy + some extras = a lot less than his monthly rental - he had the audacity to say 'do not look at the figures - go and look at the location - it's worth much more than just numbers'

I was so shocked over this offer, I had to go and drink several beers afterwards to calm myself down.

Simon

You actually had the composure to logically EXPLAIN something???

Better than me :P

I would have laughed, loudly, in their face at hearing 350K per month.

The dumbest business scam I heard while here was...well, lemme see, so many... but recently I think the Liberian's that approached me with the tired old "Black" Money scam was probably the best.

I laughed in their faces and rebuked them for even trying that silly crap on me.

I think however the most common business scam is when a hoe asks for monthly "faithful" money from some foolish mark when he goes back to farangland.

A house for sale in Land and House Chalong that interested me, widely advertised at 7.5 mill whereas I thought the true value was more like 6.5 mill. On the telephone the owner said he would be prepared to drop the price 1 million, from 8.5 to 7.5 million, just for me!

B) I too have experienced this many times. being quoted ridiculous silly prices for rents, land and merchandise. I guess because it's Thai that makes it worth more. These prices are actually way more than you would pay for something similiar in your home country.

LL

A thread where you can relate the most bizarre or stupid business offers made to you in Thailand.

I wasted several hours yesterday talking with some Indian 'gentlemen' about a small hotel in a shop-house in Ao Nang that is available for lease. (I had previously checked out a similar property at 40,000 baht/month rent).

My 'scamdar' went into overdrive as soon as I met these guys. Fast-talking, very professional-looking, and I was the lucky guy who could take on this shop-house (with an unregistered 3+3+3+3+3+3 years lease) for the bargain sum of just 350,000 baht a month.

What was worrying to me is that there were (according to these guys), several parties flying in from overseas to check out this great offer. It's probably true as well, because there is a sucker born everyday.

I even checked my pockets after I made my excuses and left - in case I had been pick-pocketed!

So come on - have you been the lucky candidate for a better business offer than this one?

Simon

It costs about $ 16,000 USD to fly horses- 3 in a one carrier stall, to Bangkok from LAX , USA .

Expensive, yes, but doable.

However as no airline in Bangkok will deal with us directly and all refer to one agent that MUST be used - the price going to LAX is about 3 million baht, almost $ 100,000 USD ! OBSCENE!!

He also makes up rules about having to put horses in a 30 day quarantine BEFORE shipping ( in his stable with inadequate space for horse happiness, of course .. ) to squeeze EVEN MORE

The pros shipping horses out of LAX remark on what a scam shipping out of Thailand is and suggested going to Malaysia to do it

We are going to take them to Malaysia where we will save $ 80,000 or so even after the MY import quarantine, trucking , etc.. as the airlines there are happy to have our business and have no agent requirements

Just seems Thais cannot fathom the harm they ultimately do to themselves with this kind of astronomical overpricing.

I guess if they get one sucker out of it , it works but have they no.... pride in offering fair work for fair wages?

I cannot wait to GTFO THANK god I DID NOT invest or buy on 30 ++++ BS Lease

I'm writing a book ; Thailand, The Gentle Lie

This reminds me; Investigate Udom of 1-2 Go expose fame is sending an e mail around about Orient Thai/1-2 Go having received a license to operate a carrier called Thai AIr , presumably to benefit from Thai Airways good rep when theirs is such Sh*t

I chatted to several women on the internet years ago before I came to Thailand for the first time, I asked was it best to bring cash if i came or change money in the UK, one suggested I could put all my money in her bank :o !!!!!!!!!.............

I did and a year later married her.......... 5 years later still married and the money's still in her bank!! :lol:

100,000 baht for a used honda wave.

They said something about it having the St. Georges cross painted on it, as though it would make it more valuable to me. My suggestion that I could just buy a brand new one for 40k/ish and pay a few grand extra to have it re-painted myself was lost on them. But then I wasn't particularly bothered about having a bike anyway, let alone one with a flag painted on it.

I was at friend’s house a bit back and out of the blue an old employee of my mate turned up, (A young Thai guy, He had been employed as a motorbike mechanic ) We all exchanged pleasantries. With great enthusiasm he explained he had started a new business, and things was going great! He’s opened a money lending business. He went on; “I lend 200Bt on a Monday, they pay me 300Bt on Friday……….I now make lots of money.” My friend and I agreed with him that it sounds like a good business….. Then came the pitch, would we like to buy-in to his company, we could have a piece of the action for 2000Bt each. What, why? You said business was very good and you are making lots of money. He tried to explained, with a straight face, “Business very good, so good I have no money…. I lend it all out!”

We gave him some pocket money for the story, and sent him away with our laughing ringing in his ears.

Getting worse in the UK too. Had some joker round to look at a house I was selling a while back. Agreed a price, got back to me a day or so later and said he would like to talk to me about a wonderful opportunity called vendor financing. Excuse me...???? turns out I "lend" him the deposit to buy the house! I did actually agree but when the wife found out I had only done so in order to get him back again to boot him up the harris for wasting my time she called him back to tell him to get lost, spoilsport :realangry:

2 houses in the south of samui, 25 million for the both .... sales pitch from the owner. yes they will easily rent out at 15 k amonth ... make money back !

bar in lamai for 3.25 million thb with only 1 year left on contract, (also to note, no one went in there )

shop house in north chewang, 7 million THB Key money and 35 k a month rent ( no one has still yet to rent since it was built 3 years ago )

also shop houses that increase rent when they have tenants, tenant canot affrod increase, moves out, owner still want more money !

I chatted to several women on the internet years ago before I came to Thailand for the first time, I asked was it best to bring cash if i came or change money in the UK, one suggested I could put all my money in her bank :o !!!!!!!!!.............

I did and a year later married her.......... 5 years later still married and the money's still in her bank!! :lol:

Hi yabaaaa

Fantastic!

But you must admit you’re an exception not the rule……………..But well done!

With you now knowing more about Thailand, (not withstanding you still trust your wife)……………………….would you do it again?

Keep the faith.