Sunday Breakfast

thaigerd

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just a quick Snack - how about This  :D

Screenshot2010-05-10at30013PM.jpg

I wonder if this restaurant is located next to the ER ward. 

Mario’s Cafe Bar in Westhoughton, UK, serves the biggest full English breakfast in the world, according to Guinness World Records. The Ultimate Breakfast costs £10.95 ($18.05) and consists of 10 eggs, 10 sausages, 10 rashers of bacon, 10 slices of toast, five black pudding slices, tomatoes, mushrooms, and baked beans for a total of about 5,000 calories. If you eat it in 20 minutes, you can get it for free. Thankfully, no one has yet to finish it—methinks the aftermath would not be worth the £10.95 you save.

:whistling:

post-2733-017961900%201276998687_thumb.jpg

What is on the bread and what is that round thing in the upper right corner.:blink:

The round thing at the upper right corner is a small breadroll from a belgian bakery here in Phuket, called "Piccolo".

On my bread are german cold cuts.

Gerd

post-2733-017961900%201276998687_thumb.jpg

What is on the bread and what is that round thing in the upper right corner.:blink:

The round thing at the upper right corner is a small breadroll from a belgian bakery here in Phuket, called "Piccolo".

On my bread are german cold cuts.

Gerd

Thanks. Now it looks good:licklips:.

Looks a bit heavy on the meat, for my tastes.... But, nonetheless, nicely done...

I just came back from a week in Los Angeles, where I was staying overnights in good but lower-priced hotels, since the trip was on my expense rather than anything related to work.

Rather that partake of the simple continental breakfasts the hotels offered for free (coffee, juice, rolls/toast/muffins, and fruit), I always take the opportunity during these trips to eat my big meal of the day in the morning at either Denny's or International House of Pancakes coffee shops.

Why??? Real, and quite delicious pancakes... Great and crispy servings of real hash browns. And mindful of trying to maintain some semblance of a healthy diet, these days, both Denny's and IHOP will substitute turkey bacon for their regular offering (cutting the fat content almost to 0) and substitute Egg Beaters or egg whites for regular eggs, likewise almost eliminating the cholesterol content. Both substitutes were quite good, and I didn't feel that I was missing anything.

These days, Denny's is offering a $4 (approx. 133 baht) breakfast special that includes two eggs fixed as you like, two pancakes, and two slices of bacon or sausage links. Then you can add on for $2 (about 64 baht) an order of hash browns and a sliced biscuit smothered in country gravy.

Or, at IHOP, for $5.99 (about 190 baht), they were offering two eggs fixed as you like, hash browns, two bacon or sausage, and two or three (I can't recall which) pancakes topped with your choice of fruit compote.

The meat fest pictured above is fine. But what Thailand is really lacking are places that serve real, decent pancakes and hash browns... The pancakes at Little Home Bakery are decent, though not great... But I'm still looking for a good order of real hash browns.

Looks a bit heavy on the meat, for my tastes.... But, nonetheless, nicely done...

I just came back from a week in Los Angeles, where I was staying overnights in good but lower-priced hotels, since the trip was on my expense rather than anything related to work.

Rather that partake of the simple continental breakfasts the hotels offered for free (coffee, juice, rolls/toast/muffins, and fruit), I always take the opportunity during these trips to eat my big meal of the day in the morning at either Denny's or International House of Pancakes coffee shops.

Why??? Real, and quite delicious pancakes... Great and crispy servings of real hash browns. And mindful of trying to maintain some semblance of a healthy diet, these days, both Denny's and IHOP will substitute turkey bacon for their regular offering (cutting the fat content almost to 0) and substitute Egg Beaters or egg whites for regular eggs, likewise almost eliminating the cholesterol content. Both substitutes were quite good, and I didn't feel that I was missing anything.

These days, Denny's is offering a $4 (approx. 133 baht) breakfast special that includes two eggs fixed as you like, two pancakes, and two slices of bacon or sausage links. Then you can add on for $2 (about 64 baht) an order of hash browns and a sliced biscuit smothered in country gravy.

Or, at IHOP, for $5.99 (about 190 baht), they were offering two eggs fixed as you like, hash browns, two bacon or sausage, and two or three (I can't recall which) pancakes topped with your choice of fruit compote.

The meat fest pictured above is fine. But what Thailand is really lacking are places that serve real, decent pancakes and hash browns... The pancakes at Little Home Bakery are decent, though not great... But I'm still looking for a good order of real hash browns.

IHOP? Denny's? Please. You're in LA not South Carolina. Why don't you try a place like Jinky's? http//www.jinkys.com Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Zaph, thanks for the suggestion about Jinky's Cafe in the L.A. area.... I've never heard of that place, even though I lived in L.A. pretty much my entire life, until moving here a few years ago. Dunno how long they've been around. The breakfast menu looks interesting, especially their wide variety of pancakes... I'll try to give it a try on my next trip back.

Don't knock Denny's and IHOP, though. Yes, they are low on the pretensions scale. But they have the advantage of being cheap and easy, with locations virtually everywhere around town. So no matter where I'm staying, there's always one close by. And they have what I want. So .after living here and going without for 6 months at a time, even Denny's and IHOP breakfasts are like water for a man dying of thirst. For the record, back when I lived in L.A., I never set foot instead a Denny's or IHOP... But living here, I now have a new outlook on those places... Strange...

One think I noticed about Jinky's is their three locations tend to be in area of high pretension...being West Hollywood, Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks... When I spend time back in L.A., now accustomed to living here in BKK, L.A. pretensions are something I can easily do without.

Edited by jfchandler

Zaph, thanks for the suggestion about Jinky's Cafe in the L.A. area.... I've never heard of that place, even though I lived in L.A. pretty much my entire life, until moving here a few years ago. Dunno how long they've been around. The breakfast menu looks interesting, especially their wide variety of pancakes... I'll try to give it a try on my next trip back.

Don't knock Denny's and IHOP, though. Yes, they are low on the pretensions scale. But they have the advantage of being cheap and easy, with locations virtually everywhere around town. So no matter where I'm staying, there's always one close by. And they have what I want. So .after living here and going without for 6 months at a time, even Denny's and IHOP breakfasts are like water for a man dying of thirst. For the record, back when I lived in L.A., I never set foot instead a Denny's or IHOP... But living here, I now have a new outlook on those places... Strange...

One think I noticed about Jinky's is their three locations tend to be in area of high pretension...being West Hollywood, Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks... When I spend time back in L.A., now accustomed to living here in BKK, L.A. pretensions are something I can easily do without.

Jinky's is hardly what you would call pretentious. It is an urban coffee shop/breakfast house. The original Sherman Oaks location has been around for over 30 years and is a favorite among the recording industry (mostly sound engineers). However, you will see far more families dining at the restaurant which closes at 3pm daily. They make very good chili in addition to their breakfast offerings.

IHOP and Denny's bear no resemblance to their SoCal origins. Denny's has over 1500 restaurants nation-wide and its headquarters has been moved to South Carolina. IHOP, which was teetering on bankruptcy, has just under 1500 restaurants. Their food is uninspiring to say the least.

Lots of good pancake serving restaurants all over L.A. 3 Square Cafe in Venice, Original Pancake House in Redondo Beach, Roscoe's (multiple locations), etc. Why go to a chain that serves food with no character? Might as well dine at Olive Garden and Red Lobster, too. More crap from Darden's.

Of course, any of the above-named restaurants would be a welcome sight in Thailand. I'm not a big fan of pancakes, but I sure would like to find some huevos rancheros or chorizo and eggs.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

In BKK, head on over to La Monita at Ploenchit BTS/Mahatun Center for both huevos and chorizo...

post-53787-007584800 1277522318_thumb.jp

Likewise, Sunrise Tacos at Suk Soi 12 has a breakfast menu that includes huevos that's served daily from midnight to 5 p.m.

However, no pancakes or hash browns to be found at either place... :-)

I'm not a big fan of pancakes, but I sure would like to find some huevos rancheros or chorizo and eggs.

How about if they open a branch in Bangkok instead??? :D

Come on up to Chiang Mai for the best hash browns, buttermilk pancakes, biscuits and sausage gravy, home made sausage patties and the best bakery this side of the Mississippi River. http://www.butterisbetterbakery.com/ A Chiang Mai Form Sponsor. :D

I'll talk to the owner and see what he thinks:licklips:.

Edited by gotlost

but, if yer in LA then ye gotta worry about some white punk with a british accent standing up in his restaurant booth an' waving a gun around an' shouting 'this is a robbery!'...then his gurl fren' stands up and snarls that she's gonna shoot everyone just fer fun...an' that pretty much puts a dent in yer enjoyment of yer denver omelette an' blueberry hot cakes...

(but mebbe, if the gurl fren' lifts her leg an' stands high enough when pointing her weapon then yew can look up her skoit...she looked cute in de famous film that selected cheap restaurant breakfasts as a production design...)

'garcon! coffee!'

the waitress sez: 'garcon means "boy"'

Either this below is some obscure movie reference that I managed to miss, or, you've really gone off the deep end... :blink:

OK, back to sausages, pancakes, hash browns, omelets, huevos rancheros and the like...

but, if yer in LA then ye gotta worry about some white punk with a british accent standing up in his restaurant booth an' waving a gun around an' shouting 'this is a robbery!'...then his gurl fren' stands up and snarls that she's gonna shoot everyone just fer fun...an' that pretty much puts a dent in yer enjoyment of yer denver omelette an' blueberry hot cakes...

(but mebbe, if the gurl fren' lifts her leg an' stands high enough when pointing her weapon then yew can look up her skoit...she looked cute in de famous film that selected cheap restaurant breakfasts as a production design...)

'garcon! coffee!'

the waitress sez: 'garcon means "boy"'