Another "Thai Wife, Aussie Guy" Visa Question

Hi All,

Long time reader but never felt a reason to post, until now! I'll introduce myself. My name is James, i'm 26 from Melbourne, Aus and i'll be moving to Thailand in about 2 months time.

Met my wife in Aus a few years back, we married at the end of last year and the grand scheme was for her to move here.

That has changed as her family business (rather large business) has prevented her from coming due to work loads and I have just been offered a healthy redundancy and will be finishing up at the end of July and I'll be making the move.

I've read a million things in regards to Visa's and I'm completely lost. My grand plan is to eventually work for her family company utilizing a work visa (the company easily falls under the requirements to be able to offer a work visa)

My question is: For now, should I apply for an non-imm type "o" visa for Marriage in Australia? Do I need to have the thb400'000k in the bank at the time of applying here or does SHE need to have the 400'000k in her bank account?

I understand that the work visa is a separate entity to the non-imm visa, but will my work visa be likely rejected if they see I my wife also works at the same company (as well as my father in law being the GM?)

Should I just give up and find an immigration agent in Thailand?? :)

Thanks guys!

James

The 400,000B needs to be in a Thai bank account in your name for 3 months before you apply for the non-imm type "o" visa for Marriage. You can go to Thailand on a tourist Visa and open the bank account, then after 3 months apply for the non-imm type "o" visa for Marriage in Thailand. Once you get the non-imm type "o" visa, you can then start the work permit process.

Thanks for the quick reply Gary!

I am planning on applying for a 60 day multiple re-entry tourist visa to allow for the 3 months to pass for the money so I can apply once I am there. With this, am I going to have any problem with my Airline (Jetstar) traveling on a one way ticket or should i buy a return ticket to Malaysia with Airasia to be safe? I've been to Thailand about 6 times in the past 12 months and i've never had anyone ask me (usually have return flights with a different airline)

Thanks again!

The above post (#2) seems to have mixed up one year extension of stay for Thai wife with getting a visa. There is no requirement for anything in any bank for a non immigrant O visa. For multi entry they might want to see some proof of your ability to support your stay but it will vary from Consulate to Consulate (KL likes to see 100k in a bank account).

So yes, take proof of marriage and copy of wife ID or Passport and obtain a non immigrant O visa.

There will not be any issue because of it being a family business - if authorized to support a work permit you can get it.

You do not require any special visa to make application for a work permit - to have it issued yes - but not to apply.

Edited by lopburi3
add post number

Yes, my wife is Thai (Says this in the Topic :))

So basically, for the initial 90 day non-imm spouse visa for me, I don't need to show 400'000 in an account straight away, I only need to show it when I renew it once I'm in Thailand?

If this is the case, it's going to make my life a lot easier.

And that's great news about the work permit.

Thanks guys!

James

Yes, my wife is Thai (Says this in the Topic :))

So basically, for the initial 90 day non-imm spouse visa for me, I don't need to show 400'000 in an account straight away, I only need to show it when I renew it once I'm in Thailand?

There is no requirement to show a bank account to apply for a Single Entry Non Imm O Visa.

During the last 30 days of that stay you can apply for a 12 month extension based on your Marriage. You will then need to show that 400,000 Baht has been in your Thai bank acc. for 2 months prior to application.

It has to be your bank. Not your Wife's or a joint acc.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Edited by Lite Beer

Thanks Lite Beer. For the initial non-imm visa, what will I need to supply? Or will this change from consulate to consulate?

I am assuming the form, a copy of my and her passport (as well as providing mine for the visa) a copy of the marriage certificate. What else?

It's quite annoying because I cannot find anything consistent!

Again everyone, thanks heaps!

Thanks Lite Beer. For the initial non-imm visa, what will I need to supply? Or will this change from consulate to consulate?

I am assuming the form, a copy of my and her passport (as well as providing mine for the visa) a copy of the marriage certificate. What else?

It's quite annoying because I cannot find anything consistent!

Again everyone, thanks heaps!

James

It is very very easy to get a marriage visa in Australia. In Perth all they want is a marriage certificate, the completed application and $225 and you will have a 12 month multiple entry visa. They do not ask any questions about money or your relationship and I have never heard of anyone being refused. All I do is go home once a year to visit family and get a new visa. No money in the bank and no hassles. However as you have stated you live in Melbourne you must call the Thai Consulate or embassy that you will be dealing with directly as every single Thai embassy in the world have slightly different procedures and requirements. In Melbourne they might want some extra paperwork but you will still have no problems. Just call them. Its the only way to know for sure.

Good luck.