Looking For Andrew Bigs

Mai Pai

Hi,

My girlfriend told me I should read a book by Andrew Bigs. She nor I know the name but it explains the difference between "Dowry" and "Sin Sod." I've read several things but am unclear as to how this works and what the difference is. He is supposed to be the "ultimate source" in understanding Thai Culture. Any help or references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dowry in english means the things (monetary or material) that the bride brings with her; sin sod (bride price) is what the man must 'pay' or 'give' to the parents of the bride.... in any culture u have one or both of these things....

the bridal showers that women do in america (still do?) were to provide the bride with a 'dowry' of goodies for her new home; in other cultures, it is bedding, kitchen goods, money, etc....

the bride price usually was/is directly related to the age of the bride, virgin or not, etc... depending on culture.... some cultures it is money the man must pay, in others the man must steal the bride from the family but give gold, and presents to the in laws, whatever...

there are a million threads on TV about sin sod, etc.......go search