Another Road Death In Phuket

webfact

Another road death in Phuket

PHUKET: -- A Phang Nga man was killed in a motorbike accident near the entrance to the Phuket Shooting Range early Friday morning.

Chalong Police identified the driver as 28-year-old Nopparat Yodying, a resident of Tambon Baan Muang, Takuapa District.

Initial police investigations showed that Mr Nopparat was unable to stop when a Honda sedan in front of him slowed down to turn off the road into a driveway.

He hit the back of the car hard and was probably killed instantly, police said.

The Honda sedan was still at the scene when police arrived, as was Mr Nopparat’s destroyed motorbike.

Volunteer rescue workers took his remains to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where they will be held until claimed by relatives.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-06-21

RIP. He won't be driving fast again.

Insensitive comment.. :angry:

Fact is that part of the issue with Thai road rules (bikes no matter how large or fast should stay left and overtake on the inside) means that cars need to understand that turning left they must be aware of the lane of traffic (bikes) they are crossing.. Of course cars being larger and in thai road rules 'superior' tend to just do what they will do anyway and bikes must adapt.

But theres nothing in this to say if the driver indicated properly, or simply turned across the bikes direction of travel without looking.

I had a bike carry straight on to the left of me when I was turning left on a slip road that was meant for cars to turn left only and not straight on.

A big dent in my car and me remembering to always check mirrors when turning regardless of what part of the road I'm on.

Lucky for him, AND me he was not hurt.

Also I was driving home very late one night and had to turn into my road on the right. There was a car about 200 metres behind me. Anyway I indicated right, slowed down and pulled over as far as I could without going over the center line and braked waiting for a bike to came past. Next thing this car behind me is skidding all over the place trying to stop. Despite having my lights on and indicating half a kilo back he still didn't see.

What I am trying to say is, it may not be the car drivers fault.

RIP to the bike rider.

I had a bike carry straight on to the left of me when I was turning left on a slip road that was meant for cars to turn left only and not straight on.

A big dent in my car and me remembering to always check mirrors when turning regardless of what part of the road I'm on.

Lucky for him, AND me he was not hurt.

Also I was driving home very late one night and had to turn into my road on the right. There was a car about 200 metres behind me. Anyway I indicated right, slowed down and pulled over as far as I could without going over the center line and braked waiting for a bike to came past. Next thing this car behind me is skidding all over the place trying to stop. Despite having my lights on and indicating half a kilo back he still didn't see.

What I am trying to say is, it may not be the car drivers fault.

RIP to the bike rider.

I see examples everyday of cars indicating to turn right (I can see from 3 or 4 cars back) but the car directly behind does not see it until the other car has to stop & wait to make the turn. The following car then attempts to get on the inside, does not have enough room to get by & has to stop also but usually is far enough over to prevent anyone else from getting past on the inside. It seem a lot of drivers here are oblivious to indicators.

It seems like many drivers follow too closely and do not give themselves time to react to the vehicle in front. I've been rear ended by a car once, over five years ago. A Thai guy that had car insurance, and was very apologetic. Once by a motorbike, he broke my taillight and ran off.mad.gif