How About The Klx 450

Hog Head

I want a new, locally supported, reasonably priced dual sport bike which narrows it down to Kawi. Unfortunately the KLX 250 is just a bit too underpowered for me.

The upcoming Versys would be nice but too road oriented, leaving the KLR and KLX 450 in the Kawi lineup.

Kawi state that there are no plans to introduce the KLR due to it having a carb, but time will tell.

Any rumours on getting the KLX 450?

from K. Tidavan at Kawi today:

Thank you very much for your interesting to Kawasaki product.

I am sorry that I have no reply for the launching time.

I will deliver your requirement to our management.

If you need more information, please feel free to contact us again.

Very unlikely unless Kawi updates them with fuel injection.

Thailand's Euro 3 emissions standard is pretty much phasing out any bikes with carbs.

You could get a KTM but you know they're ridiculous money as they're imported.

Edited by ttakata

"No reply for the launching time" is not too clear so here is todays clarification:

We are sorry to inform you that we have no plan to introduce KLX450 into Thailand market.

Thats it then. Since no 450KLX or 650KLR is forthcoming, and everything else is silly money, I will not be buying any new dual sport bike at all

We not buy a Kawasaki ER6N, and modify it into a dual-sport motorcycle. It's what BigBikeBKK is doing, if you give the idea some thought you will find that its not that crazy.

And If you buy a secondhand ER6N the whole thing could be the cheapest dual-sport possible. And fully road legal.

Personally (after I get some extra money) I'm going to get a 351cc bigbore kit and a TwoBros Juicebox for my DTracker 250.

No one has done this to my knowledge, but I know someone has successfully done it with a 331cc bigbore on a fuel injected KLX250.

Big bore kit on klx250 2009 EFI - ThumperTalk

A carbed 351cc dynos at 27HP at the wheel here with a Supertrapp.

page 2

I'm hoping it can do 30HP with a FMF Megabomb header and TwoBros muffler.

It will never be as fast as a 450cc, but I also see a KLX450 has an MSRP of $7500=242,000B

You could make a KLX351 for 150000 + 30000 baht for the BB and Juicebox.

page 4

Even if I cant get it to work, I'll just rip out the fuel injection and get a carb so it will work.

Just an idea if you're dead set on a dual sport.

What about buying a KLX 250 and transplanting a KLX 450 motor in it? Are they similar in dimensions? Only alternative is the big bore for the 250 and modify it as much as you can, flat slide carb, pipe etc. Would a drz 450 fit?

I would love a road legal KLX 450.