Which Movie Quotes Do You Use?

somebody mentioned platoon?

Sgt. Barnes: Ya smoke this shit so to escape from reality? Me, I don't need this shit. I am reality. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is.

Junior: Free your mind, your ass will follow

*last lines of the movie

Chris Taylor: I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy, we fought ourselves. The enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days. As I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called "possession of my soul." There are times since, I've felt like a child, born of those two fathers. But be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

and of course then there is an even greater classic *guess the movie*

Willard: I hardly said a word to my wife until I said yes to a divorce.

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

Kilgore: You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

His last words]Kurtz: The horror. The horror.

:o

Edited by kayo

musta come from the draft screenplay Josef Conrad wrote for FF Coppola when they were discussing the Apocalypse Now! project....

A large majority of Kurtz lines actually come from Conrad's 1902 novel the Heart of Darkness, as I'm sure we all know. Kurtz lines didn't need to be altered all that much to suit the continuity. Other characters lines did of course to be more relevant to the vietnam era. Kurtz character was so profound that it was just one of those "history never changes, only the pictures on the wall do" type of depths of character.

However I'm pretty sure that he never worked on the screenplay for FF.Coppolla's movie, as Conrad died of a heart attack in 1924.

by the way, John Milius and FFC are the screenwriters.

Coppola was born in '39.

BTW, bringing in a Thailand related bit of trivia,

Coppola ensured that his production company got in on one of the biggest epic thai movies ever made, Suriyothai.

While "The Legend of Suriyothai" offers spledid cinematic delights, the story fails to inspire. This is a film where the action is more effectively communicated by the editing and soundtrack than the narrative arc or the actors' performances. The method of storytelling and the characters fail to breathe life into the editing and visual cues. The signs are empty. Instead of a complete escape, the flaws force the audience to ask if pretty signs will suffice."The Legend of Suriyothai" brings to the screen a visual opulence more characteristic of the golden years of MGM grand when the camera was merely a device used to record Roman or Egyptian themed parades. "Suriyothai" flaunts this comparison.

The press materials provide an index that details the number of years researched, money spent, elephants used, extras trained, and other outstanding statistical data. These figures are impressively presented in the film. The sheer organizational feat required by this production is bewildering. The caveat comparing directors and army generals is reinforced in these types of movies - where success on a day's shot is only determined by the precision with which the flanks of extras are employed and the accuracy with which they complete their assigned tasks. But is this enough? Is merely the presentation of this grand scale simulation enough to satisfy that need which keeps us returning to the theaters? "Suriyothai" effectively presents this other world, but it doesn't introduce us to any intriguing tour guides. The film fails at presenting the drama on a human scale. We get a sense of the battles and the rivals and the warring cultures, but we don't get a sense of where people fit into the scheme. We watch actors playing pawns to some greater narrative. But perhaps this is the point of the film. "Suriyothai" focuses on the sweep of history and not the actions of individuals. An individual's will is not the center piece of the film. Instead, the film highlights the individual as subject to the epic flow of history.

Suriyothai trivia

At 250 million baht (approx. $5.8 million), it is the most expensive film in Thai history.

The highest grossing Thai film in Thailand to date.

Not long after the death of Suriyothai, Ayuthaya was burnt to the ground by the Burmese.

The actress who plays Srisudachan is a famous singer in Thailand. The director cast her without test-screening her at all.

The young actress who plays the young Suriyothai, according to the director, was cast because of her likeness to the actress who plays Suriyothai.

The actress who plays Suriyothai is actually a princess of a lower rank. In Thailand, each successive generation of royalties "decreases" in rank by one level. The actress is the lowest one. She is a "Mom Luang". One doesn't have to use the royal vocabulary with her.

Historically, all that is known about Suriyothai is her heroic death to protect her husband from the Burmese. The rest of the story in the film was made up.

The director is a prince, a "Mom Chao," which is two ranks below the conventional prince, the son of a king. People have to use the royal vocabulary with him.

In Thai history, the city Ayutthaya was burnt twice by the Burmese. This movie depicts the events shortly before the first burning. The second time the city was burnt was about 200 years later.

The wooden house on stilts where the young Suriyothai lives is a real palace called Tub Kwan. It is located in Nakhon Pathom, roughly 40 kilometers outside of Bangkok. King Rama VI built it. ( :D Kayo Comment: It's beautiful, I used to teach the police academy near there. :o )

The little boy-king in the movie is killed by hitting. This is because of a belief in ancient Thailand that the blood of a king or any royalties must never hit the earth. Therefore, they must be beaten to death by a club.

The name Suriyothai in Thai roughly translates as "dawning sun." Similarly, her rival's name, Sri Sudachan, means "moon lady."

Almost all the actors and actresses in the film are famous Thai stars with the exception of Suriyothai and her children who had never acted before.

The actress who plays Chitravadee (the queen who died giving birth to Chai Racha's son) is in real life the wife of the actor who plays Khun Piren, Suriyothai's first lover, as an adult.

Edited by kayo

• 3 weeks later...
"Married.  I can see you right now, bending over a hot stove, but I can't see the stove."  -- Groucho Marx, Duck Soup 1935

He! :D :D

Good one!

Hey Kayo,

Did you notice all the ads above for Atitlan accommodation???? Scary... somebody is following you and it's not me :D anyway, while on that point, I did some research too and ended up ... from spaceships in Atitlan to fairies in Scotland :o I ask you, did you never hear about the UFO that emerged from the lake? "THEY'RE OUT THERE!!!!"

Funny.. about the ads.... Google index robots spider thingies that george mentioned elsewhere are on the ball I suppose.

I`m keeping my eyes peeled for ufo, aliens, but aside from my ex-gf I can´t say I´ve come close to seeing any :o

Funny.. about the ads.... Google index robots spider thingies that george mentioned elsewhere are on the ball I suppose.

I`m keeping my eyes peeled for ufo, aliens, but aside from my ex-gf I can´t say I´ve come close to seeing any :D

That's a GREAT idea for a NEW post..... cos I'm actually quite sure I saw one in Phuket a few months ago. I do have a :o history of UFO sightings..... "believe or not!"