International Driving License

Hi all................my international driving license..has expired...{attained in uk} is it possible to get one in los and where .......I know many drive without but would rather have one....I do have my uk one with me ...any help would be appreciated..

Hi Cliffy

You cannot obtain a LEGAL international driving 'license' here no matter what anyone says to the contrary. :o

However, if you have an address in the UK you can apply by post for a new UK IDP and get it sent on here. Go to either the AA or RAC website for the form and instructions. :D

Do you have a non-immigrant visa (any type)? If so you can apply for a Thai licence, if your IDP was still valid you would not even have to do the test, with no IDP you have to do a simple written test and drive around some bollards. :D:D

I did not do the test so I'll leave it to others to describe what you have to do, it is apparently dead simple.

Edited by Crossy

Hi all................my international driving license..has expired...{attained in uk} is it possible to get one in los and where .......I know many drive without but would rather have one....I do have my uk one with me ...any help would be appreciated..

As far as I know, you have to get your IDP (International Driving Permit) in your home country.

I've been going through this trying to get IDP's for some of our foreign workers. Can't be done (legally) over the internet. I actually had to go back to Canada (from Afghanistan) to get mine renewed. (Our foreign workers had to get their permits from their home countries when they went on holidays).

There are scam operators on the 'net, offering "Worldwide" international permits. These are illegal, as are the "World Passports" some of them offer. You might get away with it for awhile in a place like Thailand, but it wouldn't stand up to any real scrutiny.

You may be better of just getting a Thai license. My understanding is that it's not too difficult, especially if you have a regular license from another country.

I think Crossy is correct for the UK. I come from America and i obtained my IDP on the internet at AAA.Com. I printed the application sent the two photos and a copy of my California liscence with a ten dollar check and received my idp in ten days. The only reason i got one is so i would not have to take the test foer a Thai liscence. You can obtain an IDP in Bangkok but cannot drive in Thailand on it. Just like i cannot drive in America with my IDP that was issued in America.

Internatioal Drivers License

Mrs Christine Hendricksen

[email protected]

I have just received my license price 5000 baht, takes 7 to 10 days.

Ah, but it is NOT legal in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter). :o

Check out the thread in news clippings:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37747

Edited by Crossy

I've got both Thai driver's licences for car and motorcycle.

I've let my licence expire in my home country as it is useless to keep it now that I've settled in Thailand.

On obtaining the licences I did ask if I could have an INTL licence. They said I could but had to ask for it in Bangkok.

Forgot to mention that I have a non-O visa and I need the INTL licence for driving in other countries, not for Thailand.

Edited by penzman

Internatioal Drivers License

Mrs Christine Hendricksen

[email protected]

I have just received my license price 5000 baht, takes 7 to 10 days.

This 'license' has no legal validity. An International Driving Permit (IDP) can only be issued by an agency appointed by the country that issued you your national driving license.

Crossy is correct. Apply for a UK IDP via your authorized country apointee (RAC or AA, I think) and then get a friend to pick up your mail and send it to you. In the USA the AAA will send it to your foreign address. I don't know if this is OK in the UK.

In any event it is best to have a Thai driving license as your Thai insurance will not cover you if you just rely on a IDP and your national license.

Crossy is correct. Apply for a UK IDP via your authorized country apointee (RAC or AA, I think) and then get a friend to pick up your mail and send it to you. In the USA the AAA will send it to your foreign address. I don't know if this is OK in the UK.

In any event it is best to have a Thai driving license as your Thai insurance will not cover you if you just rely on a IDP and your national license.

The RAC website states that the IDP will be sent to the address registered against your UK licence, I didn't actually try to get it sent to a foreign address, but since they specifically make that statement I suspect that they won't.

The RAC website states that the IDP will be sent to the address registered against your UK licence, I didn't actually try to get it sent to a foreign address, but since they specifically make that statement I suspect that they won't.

I hope that by now....after everyone has discussed this topic....that everybody knows that in order to drive legally in Thailand the driver needs to have a driving license from his of her own issuing state AND an IDP that is issued by an agency appointed by the issuing state of his or her national driving license. AND, if they are going to spend any considerable time in Thailand they have to get a Thai driving license. The details of how to get a Thai driving license are found in various parts of this forum.

IMPORTANT: An International Drivers License sold over the Internet that is not in conformity with the 1949 Convention is not valid anywhere. It may fool some of the police some of the time but it will not fool the insurance companies if you have an accident that results in anything other than tiny claims.

Edited by corkscrew