What To Bring To Thailand That You Can Not Buy There

garyh

Nice bright 300w halogen lightbulbs and the lamps into which they fit - I didn't see any of them around and I did look in a couple of places. Of course everything I could find was cheap crap and double the price that it would cost in the UK.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The US soda pop known as Mountain Dew (which I was totally addicted to) is now nowhere to be found. It was here when I first moved here 5+ years ago, but evidently phased out shortly after that.

Another thing I can't find here is three level incandescent light bulbs (50/100/150 watt) like we have in the US.

Speaking of good quality socks, in the US they have a brand known as Gold Toe, (probably due to the gold colored toes). They are super durable and are something I've never seen for sale here either.

After being here long enough, you’ll either dumb yourself down to accepting the thai equivalent of something close to what you want :o , or make contacts with people who frequent your home country enough to bring you bits and pieces of what you need.

I’ve found it's the little things you’ll miss the most. Things which in your country you could pop out and buy anywhere, but here often end up in a day long sojourn to many places only to find out; "thailand no have" :(

I have spent plenty of time in Thailand, so for the psychology advice I will be fine thanks.

Gary, I suggest you bring your washing machine mate. ;)

washing machines are not expensive here, also you will have a problem on spares and repairs if you bring your own, also be aware washes here are done with cold water.

Anyone know if you can get a bread maker in Thailand?

I have a bread maker but what I will be looking for is where to buy the bread mix.

Yea, I would imagine the mix would be hard to find; anyone know where it is available?

yeast is a major problem too.

I have a bread maker but what I will be looking for is where to buy the bread mix.

Yea, I would imagine the mix would be hard to find; anyone know where it is available?

quality socks, favorite tools, any electric tools are expensive in Thailand, most electronics are priced similar to US prices. More and more foreign consumer items are becoming available as time goes on. For instance I looked high and low for WD-40, no luck. I brought some over the next trip, and when I got back you could buy it by the gallon.

tg

Flour, milk powder, water, dried yeast, salt, sugar - available in most supermarkets.

I have seen bread mix (just add water)in Foodland but it's one of those things that comes and goes.

I would suggest a good set of cutlery. You can buy it here but it's really expensive if it doesn't bend when you put any pressure on it!

Basically, anything of decent quality is more expensive here.

I've learned over the years that there's not much to bring back home from Thailand except food.

Nothing lasts more than 3 months. Even T-shirts are cheaper in UK, unless you're buying copies of high end stuff....