Advices For A Motorbike Trip Around Isaan

HI!!

I wanto planed a trip to Isaan from Pattaya. Around 3 weeks, and with a yamaha nouvo.

My language skills are none. Any advice to give me?

What month you think is better to go?

What towns to visit?

Where to stay?

What things i need to carry in my bag?

Anyone had the same idea?

Thanks...

Well..living here and riding a big bike. here are my thoughts

With no Thai language, hope you can eat anything.... learn a few words for tor the food you like. I would travel in Nov -Dec not much rain, cooler weather. Drive only during daylight, and learn to drive on the shoulder of the road. All the major towns in Issan are nice to visit. Staying is tough, unless you stay at the larger citiies. Not anything specila to carry in your bag, maks sure you have good medical insurance.

Issan is a nice area to visit, and many things to see. But you will be tired on the scooter. On my big bike Pattaya to Surin is 7 hours it will take you much longer so figure a 2 day trip if that is where you are going. It will be a good one day trip to get to Korat. From there you can go to Buriram/Surin area or to Khon Khen area.

Get a map, plan your trip out and have fun..

It might be wise to get a top bog fitted for some extra storage capacity, but bear in mind they all tend to rattle after a while, also carry a litre of gasoline, those bikes don,t have much of a range and alough their is plenty of shops selling gasoline in every village they tend not to be around when you need them.'

Have a safe and pleasant trip.

Edited by tigerbalm

It might be wise to get a top bog fitted for some extra storage capacity, but bear in mind they all tend to rattle after a while, also carry a litre of gasoline, those bikes don,t have much of a range and alough their is plenty of shops selling gasoline in every village they tend not to be around when you need them.'

Have a safe and pleasant trip.

Sorry i should have said top box :jap:

Motorbikes are really dangerous here in Thailand...as you probably know. I hate to think of how many I have heard of who passed away in the past few months. Be very careful, have emergency contact info on you in Thai and English...something I always carry with me.

I recommend going in July or August. The rice is just coming up and is a spectacular color of green. Go after harvest, and everything is pretty brown....

I have done a few trips in and around Issan on a bike. People are very friendly (not so much for the younger ones, especially after a few drinks!). Places to stay are pretty much only in the larger towns. No Thai is an issue. But you can easily get around for sure. Great trip!

Bet you manage to improve your language skills too. You can have a great trip, don't plan too much of an itinerary and just go where the wind and events take you. Hope you have a great trip. :D

Insurance, tolerance, finance,helmet. You will have a great time in the Isaan, people are great, food good, dirt cheap and no speak Thai? awell you will get there, basically you will need food (point at mouth and make gestures of the animal you want to eat) drink, and sleep. Learn the words for gasoline etc. Make sure you will visit Korat and go to the Tawandeng with bands every night, place explodes around 11pm every night,great fun!! Fill up your tank have some spare gas and hit it!!

Here is some legitimate advice to go along with the laughter of my fellow riders.Consider another use of your time to see Thailand.I have driven and ridden every road, 2-3-4 digits, and near every quai path in all of Thailand. I live in Isaan full time in the north. My observations are:A scooter is a hard ride except for under 50 km trips. They have no power, insufficient handling, and near zero safety. A wave is far superior in every department. A moderate 250 cc is far better. I ride them all. There is little to see along the way from Pattaya that makes the risk of injury justified. If you must do the deed, stay clear of all major roads and ride on the shoulder and only day time. Best path north fro pattaya is: Head out to Bria via the new link and cut through the road up to Prachin Buri, next day, then to Poipet, over to Buriram, up to Kalasin, over the Mountain to Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Probang, Nong Kai, down to Udon, across to Loei, down to Sukothai and then home. That will take you 2 weeks and you will wish you had rented a truck instead. This is a tough place to ride with no place to hide. The death rate from cycles is enough to scare most sane folks. I have visited several friends with broken legs and worse from hit and runs. There is no mercy for 2 wheelers.