3Bb 4Mb Internet (Slow Youtube/ International Speed)

thisismysong

Greetings there,

I'm moving apartments and had recently registered/ set-up 3BB 4Mb internet at my new apartment at Saphan Mai. The Speedtest.net indicates that it have 3.9xMb/s download speed from an American server, while my current apartment's True have only 0.60Mp/s.. However the youtube speed is significantly slower with 3BB, because it's with a different notebook - is it the ISP problem or notebook problem?

I'm hoping to have inputs on 3BB 4Mb users, if you have any problem with youtube/ downloading larger files etc.?

Kind Thoughts,

XoXo

Some thoughts...

Speedtest uses parallel connections, youtube doesn't.

Youtube download speeds shouldn't depend that much on the hardware unless your computer has a 'problem' or your computer is very old and takes longer to render the website.

You could try to download a Youtube movie (using a firefox extension or an online service). Then compare speeds. Don't use any download manager that uses parallel connections for this kind of speed test.

Did you change any DNS settings on your second computer?

welo

I'm the poster who'd started this topic and I've some updates:

I'd started using the 3BB 4MB Indy package, and it's working well for me & I do get download speed of up to 380kb/s (which is alot more then my current True ISP) as reflected on my downloader program (which is like a P2P). It's probably the fastest internet I'd got on this desktop of mine. However, the speed to international websites like Youtube is reasonable but video clips are slow. (also downloading video clips with my Real video downloader is slow).

As I'm getting mandarin files so I doubt the p2p sources are base in Thailand, so am still not sure if there's a problem with my computer setting.

Advise to prospective 3BB ISP clients, get the technician's mobile number when they come to install your modem etc.. 3BB customer service is really Bad, however skip the customer service - you'll get fast repair for your internet (I gave about 300B as tip, for his trouble and transportation). My wifi problem was solved within 8 hours.

YouTube's video are delivered by a Content Delivery Network (CDN) and have the videos here locally in Thailand or nearby in Malaysia or Hong Kong. If you have slow YouTube's speed it might be because you have changed your ISP DNS to OpenDNS or another similar service. OpenDNS will make your browsing experience slower - do not use.

YouTube's video are delivered by a Content Delivery Network (CDN) and have the videos here locally in Thailand or nearby in Malaysia or Hong Kong. If you have slow YouTube's speed it might be because you have changed your ISP DNS to OpenDNS or another similar service. OpenDNS will make your browsing experience slower - do not use.

Oh my gosh, you are going to get the OpenDNS fans up in arms! But you are right, from Thailand OpenDNS is slower in resolving webpages since its servers are in the States versus in-Thailand/Southeast Asia.

For me on a TOT 4Mb plan now and on a JI-Net 2Mb plan earlier, neither ISP gave me smooth YouTube video delivery (constant pauses/downloading video) regardless of being on a TOT or JI-NET DNS, Google DNS or OpenDNS. And I got full in-country speed on both ISPs. My web browsing and email was/is fine, but YouTube or most any streaming video many times goes into its pausing routine whether I'm using either laptop...one running Windows 7 and one running Windows XP. I think a lot depends on where your phone/DSL line taps into your ISP's backbone....location, location, location.