The Wonders Of Pattaya

tropo

They don't quite seem to understand the concept of copyright laws here.

Change the colours and the number and what do we get? - A "7Nine".

Would you believe they even have a registered trademark for this sign. If you look closely at the photo there's an ® symbol displayed on the signs.

How long would such a store last in the USA? I don't know how long they've been there, but they still have the "Happy New Year" banner on the front.

I'll leave it to the board to guess where this store is located.

post-34982-013214700 1277316408_thumb.jp

Edited by tropo

omg, that is f'ing awesome. i love it. the best part is, they didn't try to one-up 7-11 by going to say... 7-12. i think most Thais and many non-Americans may not know that 7am-11pm were the hours they were open. however, even by the time i was born, it was already a 24 hour store.

awesome catch. this should be on Digg.

A few years ago in Ho Chi Minh City, I enjoyed a coffee at Starbucks. Same old run of the mill Starbucks you see everywhere. When I went to buy one of those stainless mugs, I suddenly noticed I was in STARBLACKS. The whole place was a fake. The green sign outside was a poerfect copy except for the name change. I made a cam corder recording of it and no one blinked an eyelid

omg, that is f'ing awesome. i love it. the best part is, they didn't try to one-up 7-11 by going to say... 7-12. i think most Thais and many non-Americans may not know that 7am-11pm were the hours they were open. however, even by the time i was born, it was already a 24 hour store.

I did see a poor attempt of a 7Eleven copy in the Philippines. It was "7Even" in the same colours.

I did see a poor attempt of a 7Eleven copy in the Philippines. It was "7Even" in the same colours.

There is another 711 copy in Haad Rin, Koh Phagan. I recall the colors being the same as 711 but it was a 79.:D This kind of stuff is why I like Thailand so much

I remember that there was a hamburger restaurant in soi Pattayaland 1 a couple of years ago called "Mick Donalds". It even had the golden arches logo. I think the registered trademark owners made them close down...

Pattaya has to be the number one place in the world for ludicrous business names.

My personal favorite is the "Poo Corner Restaurant" on Jomtien Beach Rd

Other gems are:

"Everything Good Bar" (No 2 rd)

"Take Care Bar" (Jomtien)

"On Hill Hotel" (on the hill...)

"Serene Hotel"

"Nice Hotel"

There user to be a guesthouse in a low-number soi which appeared as though they paid for the sign as cost per letter, because the name on a huge box sign was a very economical:

"AIR 300"

who needs to explain "air conditioned rooms, 300 baht per night" when 6 characters will do?

Pattaya has to be the number one place in the world for ludicrous business names.

My personal favorite is the "Poo Corner Restaurant" on Jomtien Beach Rd

Other gems are:

"Everything Good Bar" (No 2 rd)

"Take Care Bar" (Jomtien)

"On Hill Hotel" (on the hill...)

"Serene Hotel"

"Nice Hotel"

I suppose it's so familiar now we hardly take notice, but "Cabbages and Condoms" is an interesting name for a restaurant.

Is the "Cockwell Inn" still going?

I do remember a shack on second road next to soi 6 called "<deleted> You Beer Bar", there were no ** on the sign either, it was a big sign too.

What was funny though was that the next bar to it was called "<deleted> You 2 Beer Bar".

This was about 10 years ago.

Thread is taking a turn for the worse.....sorry.

Is the "Cockwell Inn" still going?

I do remember a shack on second road next to soi 6 called "<deleted> You Beer Bar", there were no ** on the sign either, it was a big sign too.

What was funny though was that the next bar to it was called "<deleted> You 2 Beer Bar".

This was about 10 years ago.

Thread is taking a turn for the worse.....sorry.

seems to me that particular "chain " of beer bars were between soi 7 and 8 opposite the sunshine hotel, about 11 years ago, or maybe i cant remember that far back....

I always find those huge signs amusing in the centre of Sukhumvit stating "COMPLAIN phone xxxx" , like it is mandatory.

Reminds me of TV actually...

I wonder if anyone ever phones that City hall helpline number?