Problem Opening Sites

qualtrough

I have internet through True. I just returned back from 12 days in the USA and find that I cannot open some web sites. They either do not load, or I get a message right away saying Error on Page, or Server not Found. With others there is no problem. I had this problem at 4AM, and now again I have been trying in vain to access some sites. One example, eBay. I can't get it to load with Firefox, but with OE and a program that cannot be named here can open the opening page, but with both cannot log in. I also get a Server Not Found message when trying to access www.huffingtonpost, either through Favorites or by typing in the URL. Others sites located both here and abroad open without issue. I would appreciate any replies that might let me know what might be causing this. Is this a general problem affecting others, or something else?

Update: After posting this I was able to load eBay using IE, but when I try to sign on I get a page saying Problem Loading Page almost instantly.

Edited by qualtrough

Hi Gary, Can't open that link, get a server not found message. Subsequent to my post I have been able to access eBay, but still cannot open www.huffingtonpost.com. Negreanu, how do I change DNS server on Firefox? Sorry for what I am sure is a stupid question!

Hi Gary, Can't open that link,

Works fine on True here. Maybe it is down to your DNS if you can not see it as mentioned above.

The settings are not done in Firefox but in your LAN settings and how to change them is different depending on the operating system you are using.

^ No. If a site were blocked by the Government, it would become inaccessible regardless of DNS settings. DNS is used to resolve domain names (e.g. google.com translates to 72.14.254.104) and has nothing to do with censorship.

Edited by Supernova

Update: I changed to the Google DNS servers as advised, but now things are very slow again. I cannot get the BBC main page to open, and on ThaiVisa the avatar images don't load, just see an icon message. I was using this late last night and it just slowed to a crawl. Yet, when I check my connection speed it appears very high. I would be grateful to anyone with advice on what to do to troubleshoot this issue.

^ It's possible the BBC website experienced some slowdowns due to increased traffic after the Germany vs. England World Cup match. As for ThaiVisa images failing to load, could be a routing issue of some sort. Connection speed has nothing to do with slow page loading. I'm on 2Mbps connection, yet most websites I visit load almost instantly. When pages fail to load (or render improperly), it's usually due to network congestion, site issues, or problems with your ISP.

^ It's possible the BBC website experienced some slowdowns due to increased traffic after the Germany vs. England World Cup match. As for ThaiVisa images failing to load, could be a routing issue of some sort. Connection speed has nothing to do with slow page loading. I'm on 2Mbps connection, yet most websites I visit load almost instantly. When pages fail to load (or render improperly), it's usually due to network congestion, site issues, or problems with your ISP.

I will have to take it up with True then. I could't find the reply button easily because the icon doesn't load!

I will have to take it up with True then. I could't find the reply button easily because the icon doesn't load!

I'm having the same issues. All sorts of pages are only half loading. Images stall, icons won't load etc. It's been going on for days. True, after having been called, seem disinterested in what seems to be a technical or routing problem at their end.

I'm having the same issues. All sorts of pages are only half loading. Images stall, icons won't load etc. It's been going on for days. True, after having been called, seem disinterested in what seems to be a technical or routing problem at their end.

Good to know I am not the only one. I have noticed that True doesn't seem to perform as well as it did in the past.

Good to know I am not the only one. I have noticed that True doesn't seem to perform as well as it did in the past.

I just got off the phone again and was told it was a known issue with TOT intentionally throttling limited bandwidth and they were trying to resolve it. When, they couldn't say,