World Cup - Usa

Jingthing

I have a very sore neck now from continuously shaking my head in disbelieve. What a horrible exchange of hate. Somebody has to give in now - please.

My country failed to reach the finals and has never made it past the first round yet we still manage to enjoy the football whatever. This display says a lot about the mentality of both countries I reckon although the blatant flaming from one poster is the constant heat source....

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smokes, I got your point the first time mate.

Sorry James I'm in the departure lounge....flying always makes me nervous looks like I'm stammering a bit. huh.....anyway seems to have quitened things down a bit.....maybe we can have some actual football conversation now....

Sorry James I'm in the departure lounge....flying always makes me nervous looks like I'm stammering a bit. huh.....anyway seems to have quitened things down a bit.....maybe we can have some actual football conversation now....

Not if you are getting on a plane mate - the conversation will be one-sided, but maybe you are used to it.  :lol:

Not if you are getting on a plane mate - the conversation will be one-sided, but maybe you are used to it. :lol:

I'm lad you got rid of that fat avatar James it made me think of ooh what was it.....something ...this thread ...oh yeah.......:lol:

Football needs more referees at least 20 of them and more snack breaks OK everyone Capische? (one of yours James..;) )

I'm not surprised, true colors and all that when it serves their purpose to do so.. Even JT is getting frustrated with the petty contradictions, pedantic mis-perceptions and spins being thrown about and that's saying a lot, so I guess it's not any one particular poster and maybe not just US then is it guys??

Oh dear , you really have a problem with Brits don't you?

I have a very sore neck now from continuously shaking my head in disbelieve. What a horrible exchange of hate. Somebody has to give in now - please.

Well it's OUR thread so how about the trolling opposition backing off for a change??

are you as objectionable in real life by the way? i ask only because as i posted elsewhere all the americans i've watched the world cup with so far have been great fun. you must be a real laugh to watch a game with.

:lol:

i read that there are 60,000,000 americans participating in football (soccer) today. It is a natural, cost effective replacement for grid iron as the quipment cost is a foot ball, size is not an issue, and health and saftey is great for the kids, will it ever be in the top 3 sports for the yanks, doubt it but it will be in the same rank as track and field, swimming, and ahead of rugby.

I doubt that one fifth of the US population is participating in soccer, it's iffy that even one fifth watches it.

I grew up playing sports of all type. To play football at a minimum took a football and some one to toss it to. Basketball took a basketball and the nearest schoolyard that had a basketball court, others to play made it more enjoyable. That same schoolyard had a baseball diamond and a wall. Enough people and you played baseball, with two people there was a wall to play stickball or even handball, just took two people to play those. Soccer wasn't even a school sponsored sport, I played for my school through the city rec leagues. As far as safety I had my worst injuries playing soccer. BTW rugby is gaining in popularity

<P>JT, if you go to the original thread, you'll see this warpo character just launched his tirade without provocation. I don't think a single poster complained about any aspect of the US result other than England under achieving as usual. It's a simple statement of fact that no sane person could ever disagree with.  And of course it was just a bunch of England fans having a good old moan on their dedicated thread.<BR><BR>Good luck to the US, a very good tournament team and they overcame some really dodgy refereeing decisions.  Shame that 2 better teams like England and Germany are pitched together so early, but that's football!  US won the group fair and square.<BR><BR>It's a funny old game as we say.<BR><BR>it's good to see USA stop navel gazing with it's own 'world series', bursting its odd shaped balls, and entering the real world of international competition, and very good they are too.<BR><BR><BR><BR></P>

In football you are not allowed to 'toss it' unless you are the goalkeeper. Are you talking about some other world minority sport?

I think US has the biggest following in SA. Granted it's got a big population but even so there are tens of thousands of Americans there. Next best supported is England incidentally.

I can't think it will replace batball (is it?) or chuckball (is it?) but football is really taking off now, and US are a good team too.

The WC is getting a lot of play at present in the US. Don't worry my English friends, they will jump off the bandwagon if they're eliminated, and you can have your eye-foot coordinated sport back. However, I do find it amusing that you're already finding excuses should you get eliminated. Pretty lame, but no big surprise. Easier route? They've already stolen two goals away from us, and we managed to advance anyway. The refs will find some way to screw us just like the did in the Confederation Cup, but we'll persevere. It's

National, World, what's the difference. The US sports are open to all nations, and there are many foreign nationals playing there. Yes, in the US sports they are the world champs

However, I do find it amusing that you're already finding excuses should you get eliminated. Pretty lame, but no big surprise.

You guys are getting facts mixed up with excuses.

FACT: England has not played very well. Not an excuse. A fact

FACT: America has played pretty well at times. They deserved to win the group. Did they play much better than England? A little, but not much, and certainly not when they played against us. Scoring exactly the same number of points in the group tells you there wasn't much in it.

FACT: America's run in will most likely be against so called smaller footballing nations than England's. England potentially now face after Germany, Argentina and Spain. That said, this World Cup has shown the smaller footballing nations have uped their game considerably. There are no easy games. Not for America. Not for England. If America make it through to the finals, they will be as deserving of that place as any other team that does so. You can only play what is in front of you.

The refs will find some way to screw us just like the did in the Confederation Cup, but we'll persevere. It's

Enough with the conspiracy nonsense. You've been unlucky with a couple of bad decisions, that's all. Stay in the competition and i bet you'll get some dodgy decisions going your way. Refs are not robots. They make mistakes. Sometimes for you, sometimes against. Same for all the teams out there.

National, World, what's the difference. The US sports are open to all nations, and there are many foreign nationals playing there. Yes, in the US sports they are the world champs

More lame justifications for blatantly false advertising. The search goes on to find an American who will actually man up and admit that calling a national league a world series is a nonsense.

However, I do find it amusing that you're already finding excuses should you get eliminated. Pretty lame, but no big surprise.

You guys are getting facts mixed up with excuses.

FACT: England has not played very well. Not an excuse. A fact

FACT: America has played pretty well at times. They deserved to win the group. Did they play much better than England? A little, but not much, and certainly not when they played against us. Scoring exactly the same number of points in the group tells you there wasn't much in it.

FACT: America's run in will most likely be against so called smaller footballing nations than England's. England potentially now face after Germany, Argentina and Spain. That said, this World Cup has shown the smaller footballing nations have uped their game considerably. There are no easy games. Not for America. Not for England. If America make it through to the finals, they will be as deserving of that place as any other team that does so. You can only play what is in front of you.

The refs will find some way to screw us just like the did in the Confederation Cup, but we'll persevere. It's

Enough with the conspiracy nonsense. You've been unlucky with a couple of bad decisions, that's all. Stay in the competition and i bet you'll get some dodgy decisions going your way. Refs are not robots. They make mistakes. Sometimes for you, sometimes against. Same for all the teams out there.

More lame justifications for blatantly false advertising. The search goes on to find an American who will actually man up and admit that calling a national league a world series is a nonsense.

Good reply Rix. England fans have been deeply critical and discussing the performances seems by some to be misconsrued as looking for excuses. We have no excuses. We are simply trying to fathom out why our team played so poorly. The comment about us finding excuses is BS as any literate reader will see.

Funilly enough at the start of the competition i was hoping the tha USA would do well. Maybe a number of their fans were over indulging themselves in their "percieved" underdog status. I say this because most knowledgable fans i know had USA down as a very good side before a match was played. No one was surprised they qualified and few would be "surprised" if they beat Ghana, but after some of the opinions expressed on the thread i really hope they don't. :lol:

Joking apart, i do hope the USA don't get any iffy decisions, they've had more than their fair share and may the best team win.

No one was surprised they qualified and few would be "surprised" if they beat Ghana, but after some of the opinions expressed on the thread i really hope they don't. :lol:

Joking apart, i do hope the USA don't get any iffy decisions, they've had more than their fair share and may the best team win.

Agreed.

Actually mate, in contrast to some of the opinions expressed on here by Americans, and one American in particular, those i have met and spoken to whilst watching the games have been knowledgable, gracious and friendly people. None of them have jumped down my throat when i have lamented how badly England have been playing, nor have they accused me of trying to detract from their success in topping the table. Nice people. It's for them that i'll be cheering on America this evening.

"If you ain't first, you're last!

Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to you in life.

If you finish second, then you're the first loser.

There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place.

Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second.

Finishing second is like kissing your sister.

In football you are not allowed to 'toss it' unless you are the goalkeeper. Are you talking about some other world minority sport?

I think US has the biggest following in SA. Granted it's got a big population but even so there are tens of thousands of Americans there. Next best supported is England incidentally.

I can't think it will replace batball (is it?) or chuckball (is it?) but football is really taking off now, and US are a good team too.

Must be fun to be so obtuse, I did refer to futbol as soccer and football as played in the NFL style as football. The reply was to a previous poster speaking of the cost of US football vs the cost of (soccer ball). Just like two kids kicking a soccer ball around it takes only two kids to toss a football around. While I played soccer at a forward position and could kick it pretty well, could you throw a tight spiral to a wide receiver on a go pattern getting it into his hands and not the cornerbacks? much less hit a fastball or a curve in baseball.

What does it matter what we call the games we play to you, does it make you feel inferior or superior it shouldn't do either. The names were attached before the world was such a small place, before tv or radio, when people received their news by newspaper or word of mouth. We call them what we've always called them. We all are aware of the differences today, but 125-150 years ago we knew little of other countries games. We as a country were playing football in the time period we were chasing after Geronimo and I see no reason to change it to suit the rest of the worlds definition.

Don't more people in the world refer to soccer as futbol rather than football. A pretty lame sentence and as useless as the arguement that our game is misnamed. It is what it is.

Kudos to President Bill Clinton (love him or hate him, I love him) for his fanatical enthusiasm in South Africa both in support of the US team and to bring the World Cup to the USA in 2018 or 2022. He even just bought a vuvuzela (he's a musician, remember).

In the process, he has become something of a star-struck fan -- not simply of the American squad but of the passion of the fans and the broader potential he sees in the game to bridge divides among nations.

Yes, even the USA and England, ha ha.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/24/AR2010062405861.html

Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to you in life.

There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place.

i dont know if you mean what you have written or if you are taking the piss but i will say that within the sporting community in the USA your post hits the nail on the head. seriously, ask most americans who came in second in the last 5 super bowls and my guess is less than 50% will remember anyone other than the champion where as i have some close friends that are brits and they seem to remember every defeat they have had for the last 50 yrs. imho it is this american attitude, that there is only one place to finish and that is 1st that makes them a tough team to play, they will not quit, they will not let themselves down and when they leave the pitch, win or lose, their tank will be empty.

<BR>Something to consider. As Ghana is the only African team left in the running, they are now the home team of Africa, so of course the South Africans will be supporting them.<BR>
<BR><BR>Why?  Judging by the American support so far, two thirds of the stadium will be American so i would'nt worry who the South Africans support.<BR>

Something to consider. As Ghana is the only African team left in the running, they are now the home team of Africa, so of course the South Africans will be supporting them.

How can you tell who is supporting who? You cannot hear any cheering or booing (at leat not on TV)- just the constant, stupid monotone sound of the vuvuzelas

Something to consider. As Ghana is the only African team left in the running, they are now the home team of Africa, so of course the South Africans will be supporting them.

How can you tell who is supporting who? You cannot hear any cheering or booing (at leat not on TV)- just the constant, stupid monotone sound of the vuvuzelas

Not sure but I am sure the experience feels different if you are actually there, vuvus or no vuvus. Isn't there a quota on foreign tickets? So the majority at the game will still be non-Americans. Its just another factor of added pressure, as if there isn't enough pressure already. Of course, beating Ghana won't be a cake walk home team or not. Hoping they can do it.

Edited by Jingthing

No one was surprised they qualified and few would be "surprised" if they beat Ghana, but after some of the opinions expressed on the thread i really hope they don't. :lol:

Agreed.

Actually mate, in contrast to some of the opinions expressed on here by Americans, and one American in particular, those i have met and spoken to whilst watching the games have been knowledgable, gracious and friendly people. None of them have jumped down my throat when i have lamented how badly England have been playing, nor have they accused me of trying to detract from their success in topping the table. Nice people. It's for them that i'll be cheering on America this evening.

yeah agreed, few of the lads i've watched the US matches with have been absolutely sound. really positive and knowledgeable about the game.

The USA have played well and I could see them winning the world cup within the next 10 years. Then they'll most probably change the rules from a single 15 minute half time break to additional and longer timeouts, so the networks can run more commercial advertising. :P

Your use of the word "lame," is not accurate, and was what I used, anyway.

Excuses, facts. What's the difference? That's the team England fielded. Lame would be more correct here.

England vs. Germany (I think). Good luck. I don't think they're too crazy about you, either.

GO USA!!!

My country failed to reach the finals and has never made it past the first round yet we still manage to enjoy the football whatever. This display says a lot about the mentality of both countries I reckon although the blatant flaming from one poster is the constant heat source....

"My country failed to reach the finals and has never made it past the first round yet we we still manage to enjoy the football whatever"

Oh really!~!!!!

• Like 1

"If you finish second, then you're the first loser!" So that's worse than finishing 3rd or 4th then!:whistling:

" There's no room for second place. " Well actually there is in this competition which is why 8 teams will be playing over the coming days, including Ghana who play USA tonight.:rolleyes:

Good luck to USA tonight. I don't think they'll need it, but cup football is a great leveller. I imagine it'll go much the same way as the Germany v Ghana match the other night. The only potential upset could be a cave in by USA in the first half as happened against Slovenia.