World Cup - Usa

Jingthing

Despite enthusiastic supporters like Mick Jagger and his buddy Bill Clinton the Ghanese won deserved over the USA with 1-2 for Ghana.

The End for the Americans.

LaoPo

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite enthusiastic supporters like Mick Jagger and his buddy Bill Clinton the Ghanese won deserved over the USA with 1-2 for Ghana.

LaoPo

Did you get tingly all over when you wrote that? ;)

The better team won tonite. Ghana was all over the ball for most of the game and their keeper did a great job. This makes two WCs in a row where Ghana knocked us out of the tournament. Hmmm.

LaoPo

Did you get tingly all over when you wrote that? ;)

The better team won tonite. Ghana was all over the ball for most of the game and their keeper did a great job. This makes two WCs in a row where Ghana knocked us out of the tournament. Hmmm.

NO.

I had no favorite tonight and would have been happy for the Americans if they would have won. They played a lousy first half but the second half they were stunningly good in the first 15-30 minutes and had some good chances; the organization in the team was far off as they should have done.

After that both teams didn't play very well but in the extra time Ghana played better and made their final goal

The Ghana goalie did a fantastic job and was man of the match together with Gyan.

Sorry for USA but the positive thing is that they're improving every year.

Europe is disappointing overall with France and Italy out and a next one tomorrow....either Germany or England; I fear the Bratwurst Guys will swallow the Fish & Chips Chaps...but hope I'm wrong.

May the best team win.

USA and South America are doing well, next to some African nations; another future good thing is that 2 Asian countries came quite far with Japan still in the race.

Sorry for South Korea.

All in all, the future could give some very nice surprises for countries on the American continents, Africa and Asia/Oceania...

After all, all the good European coaches/trainers are hired, in countries all over the world, but that's a negative development for Europe itself.

LaoPo

Your use of the word "lame," is not accurate, and was what I used, anyway.

Apologies for using the word "lame". I was unaware it belonged to you. Please be kind enough to furnish us with a list of those in your belonging to avoid any recurrence of this problem.;)

Excuses, facts. What's the difference?

Ermmm... one is an excuse, the other is a fact.

GO USA!!!

Despite all the nonsense us England fans have been on the receiving end of from a minority group of Americans on this forum, i was cheering for a US win last night and am sorry to see them leaving the tournament, just as i was sorry to see the South Koreans lose.

Just watched a replay of the game.

It was a good game and both sides were quite equal.

I thought USA were good. Also Ghana.

I am hoping that Rooney can score like Gyan tonight.....mmm we will see.

Overall a good display of football..

It was funny watch Bill Clinton and Mick Jagger having a party together

The coach was by far the biggest disapointment in this tournament for the USA team,. He insisted on making this team into a possesion style team while they have one of the worse midfield in the world. Was he thinking that Xavi, X.Alonso and Iniesta were in his team???

The United States lacks of a reliable forward, If only G.Rossi from Villareal would have chosen to play for the US instead of sitting at home watching Italy go out after the group stage....

Well done for Ghana. Speed, quick passing, good and strong defending, and depth made all the difference last night. Beautiful goal by Gyan from a simple long ball!!!

The coach was by far the biggest disapointment in this tournament for the USA team,. He insisted on making this team into a possesion style team while they have one of the worse midfield in the world. Was he thinking that Xavi, X.Alonso and Iniesta were in his team???

You'd rather have them play hoofball?

Last night, the better team won. The USA set up enough scoring opportunities, but couldn't finish.

USA looked very sluggish, one paced, to me. Every team has an off day now and then, the problem is you have to try and avoid doing it at the knockout stage. It was quite a dirty match too. USA still needs an outstanding talent or 2.

Never mind, always a next time in football.

Last night, the better team won. The USA set up enough scoring opportunities, but couldn't finish.

USA looked very sluggish, one paced, to me. Every team has an off day now and then, the problem is you have to try and avoid doing it at the knockout stage. It was quite a dirty match too. USA still needs an outstanding talent or 2.

Never mind, always a next time in football.

There is a next time, and the USA is one of those countries that has been improving every year. The interest in the game is increasing and the talent pool is huge. So while I'm disappointed with the result, I still see a bright future.

In addition, I find it hard not to like Ghana so if we were to lose to someone, I'm OK with it being them (again). Unfortunately for Ghana, didn't two of their players get their 2nd yellow cards last night and will miss the next match?

There is a next time, and the USA is one of those countries that has been improving every year. The interest in the game is increasing and the talent pool is huge. So while I'm disappointed with the result, I still see a bright future.

I said that before.

It's simple: the USA has not a long history in Football/Soccer and but it's improving.

It's the same as if the Americans would bring American Football to Europe.

Europe wouldn't have a chance in the first 3 or 4 decades to win an important tournament over the US.

There's no history and culture with American Football and I doubt there will ever be one around Europe or Asia for that matter.

The same with a sport like Cricket: immensely popular in Britain and it's former colonies but not so on the European continent.

99% of the EU continent people have never watched a game of Cricket, simply because there are very few clubs playing cricket..

LaoPo

To be honest, the USA has a bright future at the World Cup. With their highly Latino driven demographics, it really is only a question of when rather than if they eventually win the World Cup and increase their interest in it.

It is fine applauding the Asian countries but at the end of the day they dont inherently have the physique to actually win the tournament. Obviously, the African countries have the talent and the physique but just like their economies, their premium products are exported.

I suspect that the USA will win a World Cup within 30 years, or has roughly the same chance as England in winning a World Cup within 30 years.

To be honest, the USA has a bright future at the World Cup. With their highly Latino driven demographics, it really is only a question of when rather than if they eventually win the World Cup and increase their interest in it.

It is fine applauding the Asian countries but at the end of the day they dont inherently have the physique to actually win the tournament. Obviously, the African countries have the talent and the physique but just like their economies, their premium products are exported.

I suspect that the USA will win a World Cup within 30 years, or has roughly the same chance as England in winning a World Cup within 30 years.

I disagree; you forgot that South Korea, with probably the best trainer in the world, Guus Hiddink from Holland, reached the half finals and only lost 2-3 from Turkey for the third place in the Worldcup 2002. ;)

If they wouldn't have been a bit unlucky they could have been in the final than !

I think an Asian country has a better/earlier chance for winning the Worldcup over the USA.

Football is in the genes of a few Billion Asians...

Maybe Thailand will be first ? :rolleyes:

LaoPo :lol:

I disagree; you forgot that South Korea, with probably the best trainer in the world, Guus Hiddink from Holland, reached the half finals and only lost 2-3 from Turkey for the third place in the Worldcup 2002. ;)

If they wouldn't have been a bit unlucky they could have been in the final than !

I think an Asian country has a better/earlier chance for winning the Worldcup over the USA.

Football is in the genes of a few Billion Asians...

Maybe Thailand will be first ? :rolleyes:

LaoPo :lol:

Before the Beijing Olympics I would have fallen off my chair laughing at that statement. But the Chinese showed what they could do if they get serious about something with billions spent and foreign experts brought in to train them.

Now let me give you a statement to make you fall off of your own chair - the USA will win their 2nd World Cup before England does.

There's no history and culture with American Football.....

If by American Football you are talking about soccer then you are correct. If you are saying there is no history or culture behind American Football as in gridiron then you are sadly mistaken. The history and tradition surrounding the game, particularly at the college level is something that just can't be explained to any non-North American. It's something we grow up with. Argue if you wish, but it will fall on deaf ears. Trust me on this one.

Back on the topic of the Americans in the World Cup, I must admit my disappointment with last nights loss to Ghana but agree with most others that Ghana played the better game and they deserved to win. Asamoah Gyans goal in extra time despite being clobbered from behind was remarkable. Congratulations to the Ghanans and their fans. I was also quite pleased that this contest was much better officiated than the Slovenia and Algerian matches. Perhaps the second most distressing thing about the ousting of the US team is that I will now find myself supporting the English. I can't help but admire Wayne Rooney. I like his passionate and aggressive style of play even though we haven't seen too much of it recently. Hopefully, we will see it tonight against Germany.

Edited by Groongthep

No sour grapes here. Ghana was much better at handling (footing?) the ball, and more skilled in playing the game. Of course, that doesn't always equate to who wins.

Not that it would have affected the outcome of the game, but that display of wasting time during the second 15 minute period was.......shameful (I wouldn't use lame again). I'm surprised no one here has said anything about the obvious faking by Ghana to eat up the clock. I still don't fully understand the rules of that sport, but isn't there a penalty for that? Then, another Ghana player was tying his shoes to waste more time. It seems as if they only added a couple minutes at the end of the second 15 minute period. The US was very aggressive at the end, and who knows what would have happened if not for all that time being falsely eaten-up, and subsequent loss of momentum. The Ghana players were almost laughing about it.

Seeing Mick with President Clinton was the high-spot of the game, anyway.

Viva Mexico

Perhaps the second most distressing thing about the ousting of the US team is that I will now find myself supporting the English. I can't help but admire Wayne Rooney. I like his passionate and aggressive style of play even though we haven't seen too much of it recently. Hopefully, we will see it tonight against Germany.

Boy was I wrong.

Perhaps the second most distressing thing about the ousting of the US team is that I will now find myself supporting the English. I can't help but admire Wayne Rooney. I like his passionate and aggressive style of play even though we haven't seen too much of it recently. Hopefully, we will see it tonight against Germany.

Boy was I wrong.

Any yank that has sporting brains knew that the USA team stunk and was lucky to get to the second round, so if they stunk where did that put England, even further down the drain as losing to Germany proved. My money is still on Argintina.

Boy was I wrong.

Any yank that has sporting brains knew that the USA team stunk and was lucky to get to the second round, so if they stunk where did that put England, even further down the drain as losing to Germany proved. My money is still on Argintina.

I said I was supporting them not betting money on them.

Boy was I wrong.

It turned out that The Sun was right. The group was EASY - for Germany and Ghana. :(

Did the USA stink and get lucky to advance to the second round? Were there really two teams in our group better? The results would indicate, no, they didn't. The World Cup isn't the Nobel Peace Prize, you don't win one by good intentions, you have to actually perform on the pitch (all players - including the keeper).

In the second round, at least when the USA lost it was a close & exciting game that went 120 minutes. England on the other hand was routed by Germany in a snoozer as was Mexico by Argentina and Chile by Brasil all three matches over by the 80th minute. If you're going to lose, at least make it a game.

I'm backing Netherlands or Germany from here on out although it looks to me like Brasil will have an easy time of it.

"In the second round, at least when the USA lost it was a close & exciting game that went 120 minutes. England on the other hand was routed by Germany in a snoozer as was Mexico by Argentina and Chile by Brasil all three matches over by the 80th minute. If you're going to lose, at least make it a game."

That's the point. 120 minutes. Futbol will never catch on in the US because of the obvious faking of injuries to eat time off the clock. It would never be tolerated. Not that it would have affected the final outcome, but, come on. It was an exciting game, and I wouldn't say the US team stunk (not sure if it's even a word). In any case, I could apply the term to a few other unmentionable teams.

Another interesting article. Good points that we are too complacent about futball --

http://www.washingto...0062901438.html

from the link...

Gulati acknowledges, "The broader issue is we've got to get better development, better players at the other end of it."

The suspicion in soccer circles is that the American game is played too much in comfortable suburban leagues, and not enough in the streets. A great American star is out there somewhere, in a neighborhood blackening with soot, playing from one crack in the sidewalk to another, but he's dribbling a basketball. The pick-up game is essential to mastery of any sport; it's how kids come to create new moves and make them their own, how they learn to create and aspire and imagine. Instead we're cultivating players in little leagues overmanaged by adults handing out juice boxes.

As Gulati noted to the Wall Street Journal before the World Cup began, American soccer "is very much a pay-to-play sport." Gulati suggests that his federation may need to do some "outreach" in poorer communities. He can start by taking a truckload of balls into New York, Cleveland, Chicago, and San Antonio, and informing the kids at the local Boys and Girls Clubs that Messi makes about $35 million a year.

When have you ever seen a bunch of American kids kicking a soccer ball around on their own, unsupervised, across a patch of asphalt or in an empty lot? Answer: never. The day that America wins a World Cup is the day that the game is played with real urgency, as a vital imperative ambition, not just a way to display our sophistication.

That's not a bad idea. The perception at home is that there is no real money in soccer so even the kids in the suburban leagues give it up once they go off to school. The lure of money won't do it alone though. The kids should be taught that if they are good enough, not only is there big money out there playing in Europe, but they can drink at an eariler age and the women are, well, worth going over to check out - to put it as diplomatically as I can. ;)