First Concert?

Spee

My first concert was the Rolling Stones, 1966 at Houston, Texas. They played Satisfaction, Paint it Black and much more that I can’t remember. A lot of people lit up despite the police and there was so much guncha in the air I felt high from second hand smoke and the greatest Rock and Roll band ever.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one I missed was the Queen Live Killers tour - I was about 12 at that time and thought concerts are only for 18+...was kind of disappointed hearing from other guys in my class the next day how great it was.

The first one I saw was BAP at Stadthalle Dueren in 1982(?). Had an autograph from the lead guitarist after the show...

First Festival was the Golden Summernight at Loreley in 1984. It was raining all day, the place was turned into a swamp. Cannot remember most of the bands, but the last three ones were The Alarm, Rory Gallagher and Zappa. Cannot recall much of Zappa after 12 hours of noise and rain, but saw him three times more after that - including the Yellow Shark performance in Frankfurt.

Those I saw several times were apart from Zappa the Stones, Deep Purple and ZZ Top - once also in Dueren as warm-up act for Neil Young.

Wasn't it Black Sabbath who invented the phrase: 'Too old to rock too young to die'?

I think you'll find it was Ian Anderson.

"The old Rocker wore his hair too long,

wore his trouser cuffs too tight.

Unfashionable to the end drank his ale too light.

Death's head belt buckle yesterday's dreams

the transport cafe prophet of doom.

Ringing no change in his double-sewn seams

in his post-war-babe gloom.

Now he's too old to Rock'n'Roll but he's too young to die.

He once owned a Harley Davidson and a Triumph Bonneville.

Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs

and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys

all of his mates are doing time:

married with three kids up by the ring road

sold their souls straight down the line.

And some of them own little sports cars

and meet at the tennis club do's.

For drinks on a Sunday work on Monday.

They've thrown away their blue suede shoes.

Now they're too old to Rock'n'Roll and they're too young to die.

So the old Rocker gets out his bike

to make a ton before he takes his leave.

Up on the A1 by Scotch Corner

just like it used to be.

And as he flies tears in his eyes

his wind-whipped words echo the final take

and he hits the trunk road doing around 120

with no room left to brake.

And he was too old to Rock'n'Roll but he was too young to die.

No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die."

Watford Odeon, about 1960/61, Everly Brothers - there was a relatively new band, The Rolling Stones as a warm up act. Seen them (Stones) many times since, incl. Voodoo Lounge, latest was in HK last year (a load of pensioners in lycra) :o .

Used to go to gigs in local village hall and at youth clubs with bands such as The Who (saw them smash up their equipment first time), Zoot Monnie (Sp). Oh yes, and the Baron Knights from Leighton Buzzard!

Then went to Flamingo Club (Wardour St) and Ricky Tick (Windsor), etc. where Georgie Flame, et al performed and went to many Beatles concerts.

Anyone remember the NME Pollwinners Concerts in the Wembley Arena? - Went to all of them.

• 4 months later...

Redcar Jazz club Curved Air ...then Emerson Lake and Palmer ( Pictures at an Exhibition Album or as they say and write in Thailand

al A bum) at Newcastle City Hall ...Stoned , pissed on Newcastle Brown Ale a turning point in my life then end of one era and the start of the next for me .

Iron Butterfly on the campus of U. of North Carolina, 1970. Memorable even tho, or maybe because, I was so stoned. The drum solo on In-a-Gadda-da-Vida went on forever. To my surprise, IB showed up in Palo Alto CA at a local dance club in 1984, on some kind of reunion tour. So I went to hear them again--not so memorable, not so stoned.

Several great small concerts at the good old Marquee Club in Wardour Street, London, 1973/74: Thin Lizzy, East of Eden, Marmalade and several others - unique great club atmosphere!

Have been missing the Marquee ever since it has gone... But Thailand makes up for this loss in other ways...

Cheers!

Several great small concerts at the good old Marquee Club in Wardour Street, London, 1973/74: Thin Lizzy, East of Eden, Marmalade and several others - unique great club atmosphere!

Have been missing the Marquee ever since it has gone... But Thailand makes up for this loss in other ways...

Cheers!

The Marquee is now a crappy theme pub :o

Van Morrison circa 1979, Bowie at Murrayfield, Dire Straits at The Playhouse, Edinburgh (front row, Knopfler winked at me!!), Men at Work same venue. But my claim to fame is seeing Paul Simon doing his sound check at Paleo Festival in Switzerland sitting with a total of 8 other people AWESOME :D:o:D