Cripes Are Things Changing At School

yabaaaa

As a teacher, who's attended this ceremony many times, I've always found it to be a moving, and humbling experience, that reminds me of my responsibility to these students. Some of the calls to "abolish" this cultural practice are quite baffling to me. My guess is, they come from bar jockeys.

Wai Kru and farang is pathetic - Thai kids are generally brought up to dislike us. Tt is totally hypocritical having farang partake in these 'Thai' festivals.

"Thai kids are generally brought up to dislike us."

Where on earth do people get these ideas from? How many instances can you quote of Thai children showing dislike of expats because they were brought up that way? Perhaps there are gangs of Thai kids going around hurling abuse and spitting on farangs, or sneering at them as they walk past, but they haven't been reported.

Farangs won't be happy until Thailand is "Just like the UK/US, etc". Of course, when that happens, they won't want to live here anymore... :rolleyes:

Then they will move back to UK/US and start complaining - saying "why can't we have things like they were in Thailand?".

My partner, who is 34 years old and studying part-time for an HR degree, informed me last week that she had been told that she must take part in the 'Wai kru' ceronmony with her fellow students (all who were 18/19 years old). She was also told that she must wear the regulation student attire of tight white blouse and tight, short black skirt.

Whilst I sympathized with her regarding the Wai kru part, (which she eventually excused herself from), the rules regarding attire sounded just fine too me :)

Reminder to self - must dig out that old thread about student attire, complete with dozens of photos :whistling:

Simon

I don't find Wai Kru to be 'charming'. On the contrary, I find it to be nothing less than another barrier against needed change.

At the recent Wai Kru, a 'doctor' came to give a speech. This well reknowned Thai 'doctor' (his title by academic achievement) said/did some amazing things. Video cameras recorded the whole event.

This is what this 'doctor' did:

1] Inform the students that they should be thankful to their parents etc etc. This was accompanied with the showing of a couple of abnormal childbirth (no cencorship) clips, whereby the mother was 'cut' to allow for the size of the child. Clearly, the audience was moved (except me). Many students cried & this 'doctor' asked them (the crying students) to come to the front of the stage.

Within minutes, many others were crying.

2] Several clips of 'spirits' (ghosts) were shown. The 'spirits' appeared as circular images (a lighter shade) on the video/picture.

Amazingly, he then produced images captured from the current audience, of 'spirits' near the students. Everybody seemed to be in awe/shock/amazement.

This 'doctor' spoke for at least 2 hours. I was told his fee was 10 000 Baht per hour.

Clearly, this Wai Kru was more about indoctrination than 'real' respect.

I feel sorry for the students who believed his rubbish.

That is incredible. This enforces my decision to have my children out of Thailand before they are school age. I know that the Thais were pretty much superstitiously retarded and open to myths and mysticism but that story is beyond anything I had imagined.

My wife was telling me today that the Thai rain making technology is now being used in the drought stricken areas up north. When I told her this idea was completely perposterous she chastised me :rolleyes:

Maybe she meant this abbot from Mae Hong Son who was in the news recently with his rain-making machine. :)

:rolleyes:

Since I am not a teacher, and have no "side" in any of this, like me just suggest a hypothetical scenario that some brave teacher might bring before their Thai students. Disguise it as an advanced English lesson, perhaps.

Show them the article. Have them read it in English and then discuss it's meaning and their opinions of the article.

Their true opinions of the article...if you can get them...might be very interesting.

Teacher's opinions of that idea are requested. Would it be possible, or would it be likely to get a teacher fired or disciplined?

Just wondering.

:rolleyes:

Teachers should earn respect. Reading some of the comments put me in mind of something, and now due to the miracle of the internet here it is. A trip down memory lane for some of you I suspect. Hope you enjoy.

Where does this "Respect has to be Earned" crap come from.

I was always taught we should start by respecting others regardless of whether we know them or not.

I do think think that there is such a thing as minimum respect for each other. Any extra respect is generally earned.

I don't find Wai Kru to be 'charming'. On the contrary, I find it to be nothing less than another barrier against needed change.

At the recent Wai Kru, a 'doctor' came to give a speech. This well reknowned Thai 'doctor' .........

That is incredible. This enforces my decision to have my children out of Thailand before they are school age. I know that the Thais were pretty much superstitiously retarded and open to myths and mysticism but that story is beyond anything I had imagined.

This is the first it's happened at my workplace. If something similar should be repeated in the ensuing years, I seriously doubt that Thailand will be able to significantly move forward.

On the contrary, the elite will have the population right where they want them...in the palms of their hands.

Teachers should earn respect. Reading some of the comments put me in mind of something, and now due to the miracle of the internet here it is. A trip down memory lane for some of you I suspect. Hope you enjoy.

gallery_35489_975_6453.gif

Lovely!

Edited by JetsetBkk

I agree with Geriatrickid...Wai Kru is an egotistical display of nothingness.

Nonetheless, I feel that western education would benefit from understanding this Thai ceremony.

wow , you are really out of touch , with western students, you would be laughed at , hilarious.

p.s. whats the point of the next generation of rice farmers ,

having ,,, err degrees .{bad joke}

what a waste of a good tree. kap

Lovely!

Yep, never fails to bring a tear to my eye too ! Total classic. :D

Farangs won't be happy until Thailand is "Just like the UK/US, etc". Of course, when that happens, they won't want to live here anymore... :rolleyes:

Many Thais in Bangkok probably want exactly the same as the UK/US, they send all their kids there if they can afford to.

No, we want Thailand to catch up with the rest of the world. Until the schools nurture constructive thinking, and a willingness to criticise the past for things which were wrong about it, Thailand will fall behind the rest of the world.

No, we want Thailand to catch up with the rest of the world. Until the schools nurture constructive thinking, and a willingness to criticise the past for things which were wrong about it, Thailand will fall behind the rest of the world.

I don't want Thailand to catch up with the rest of the world. I went to Catholic grade schools and high school. Maybe that's why.