CRES Suspects Attacks If Emergency Lifted In Thailand

webfact

that duped the good farmers from the north

yeah , they didn't know what they were getting into

they just knew it paid 500 baht a day

puh leeze !

like i am so sure

Only 500? Some of that discrimination that the reds state they are fighting perhaps?

Bangkoians were paid 1,000 bath per day (occasionally 1,200 bath) to go to Ratchaprasong, if they brought the motorcycle (and there was a need for it) then they were paid 2,500

Edited by MikeyIdea

QUOTE BY 'Ulysses G.' date='2010-06-25 07:56' timestamp='1277427384' post='3709177'

I strongly suspect that if funding from Thaksin was somehow stopped completely, the redshirts would switch to peaceful means. :annoyed:

END QUOTE

Highly unlikely on both counts, but the Government is making a good effort to effect normalcy.

The reds unfortunately only dream of returning to Bangkok for more mayhem.

You may very well be right, but without considerable funding they would never be able to attract many warm bodies to sacrifice.

As Thaksin said when launching the drug wars, if you have are not a criminal, you have nothing to fear. In this statement, Thaksin appealed to the most vindictive, fearful and primitive instincts of the populace. And he was successful. People ratted out neighbors, set up enemies- it was perfect. And now we have a bunch of foreigners, themselves more vulnerable than they know, employing the same logic- and unable to permit principle to override political prejudice.

History didn't forgive the war on drugs... or those who so willingly acquiesed to it...

If you are not with the RED, you have nothing to fear about the SOE.

If you don't plan to break the law, then you have nothing to fear from the SOE. In fact, as many already has stated, you wouldn't even notice it ... :)

Totally, the right of public assembly should be classified as criminal, even terrorist, when it impinges on the freedom of movement of other citizens, whether airports, ASEAN conferences, Government House, or financial districts.

Lol you gotta be kidding: if that were really classified as terrorist then Abhisit is the head of a terrorist government

:lol:

I think that is exactly what he/she was trying to imply.

Here is the government problem. The police dont do anything they are told to do to the level of not even protecting the public as seen in April and May. That means government have to use the army for everything. That means needing an SoE to make it legal. That means local and international criticism of government which means a certain person with clout over the police encourages them to do nothing for the government or to protect people. Etc

It is a power struggle unless anyone hasnt noticed.

Until the government can get enough control over the police they will continue to use the SoE. As this makes the government look bad a ceertain person will ocntinue to do all he can to stop the government getting control over the police and his influence is very wide due to a few reasons including a major commercial one.

And so it goes on with nobody giving a monkeys about the people

they were paid 2,500

dam_n , now ur talking

next time i'm sending my imaginary GF w/ her motorcy

2,500 if they brought motorcy and it was needed

1,000 bath most of the time but not always, occasionally 1,200. That was more than enough to make U^i go to Ratchaprasong "because it helped with money"

I heard an interview of an old man from the North on one of the Thai TV channels who said that he wanted to go home a long time ago but that he didn't have money to go, think that was 20 May. Seems that there was quite a lot of discrimination, they paid for the old man to go to Bangkok to demonstrate (he said), then he was conveniently forgotten…

puh leeze !

like i am so sure

Only 500? Some of that discrimination that the reds state they are fighting perhaps?

Bangkoians were paid 1,000 bath per day (occasionally 1,200 bath) to go to Ratchaprasong, if they brought the motorcycle (and there was a need for it) then they were paid 2,500

So at least one of you is telling BS, right?

they paid for the old man to go to Bangkok to demonstrate (he said), then he was conveniently forgotten…

u mean , someone wearing red lied to him ? that can't be right , can it ?

maybe he was the guy who tried to shake me down for 5 baht to go into the chitlom BTS station at the height of the ratchaprasong squatting contest ; like johnny walker , i just kept walking

Our near neighbour to the West, Myanmar, has lived with, and continues to dwell in its own state of emergency, acronym SLORC.

Thailand has imposed its own version, acronym CRES, which it is proposing to extend, (evidence for extension cannot be published because it compromises national security - and because it contravenes one of the the conditions of the CRES, namely censorship of all media). Catch 22?

And, to quote: If you are not red, you have nothing to fear from the state of emergency!!! Oh, so that's all right then.

Those who imposed this state of emergency seek to be free to continue to censor all media, hound and inter 800 'alleged' red shirts - maybe more, and report, publish and be held to account only what they choose. Yes folks, we really are proceeding happily and with eyes wide shut along the road to national reconciliation, and have absolutely nothing to fear from the prolonguing of this situation.

And, just for good measure, the 'leader of the government' announces a plan to conduct a poll of 100,000 good upstanding Thai citizens to advise it what it (government) needs to do to bring about a state of national nirvana. The views of 100,000 carefully vetted hand-picked people will be deemed as being comprehensively representative of the views of a population of +66 million - because the CRES declares it to be so.

Be careful what you wish for. You may end up getting it.

they paid for the old man to go to Bangkok to demonstrate (he said), then he was conveniently forgotten…

maybe he was the guy who tried to shake me down for 5 baht to go into the chitlom BTS station at the height of the ratchaprasong squatting contest ; like johnny walker , i just kept walking

A 5 baht "shakedown".................sounds dramatic !

Are you sure you understood him correctly ??

puh leeze !

like i am so sure

So at least one of you is telling BS, right?

Nope, the figures given represent the truth about the discrimination that was going on

And the old man on TV who was paid to come to Bangkok and couldn’t go back again because he had no money was paid free rice. That was on national TV, takes someone who understands Thai to watch it though

Hah Hah --- My prediction - the emergency situation stays - permanently.

And anyway it is for your own good. The new 1000 year "emergency situation" will be great for business and tourism and is just the ticket to get alll that freedom you ordered.

And anyway it is for your own good. The new 1000 year "emergency situation" will be great for business and tourism and is just the ticket to get alll that freedom you ordered.

I think that is a very shallow view of what is going on here. The vast majority of people living in this country doesn't even know that it is in place, another smaller minority think it is good and another yet even smaller minority thinks that it is bad for Thailand

But then, had the reds who were occupying large parts of Bangkok and cost the country's tax payers somewhere in the region of 150,000,000,000 bath totally known that what they supported only got 36% of the votes at the last election despite heavy vote buying, then the state of emergency wouldn't even be in place now

1,000 year is a preposterous prediction, says more that you are one of those watching CNN and BBC for news because you can't understand the Thai TV channels than anything else ;)

So it looks like no elections and permanent state of emergency. Anyone surprised?

No elections? where did you dream that one up? Elections due in December 2011, the Govt is currently preparing for them... see here

I think that is a very shallow view of what is going on here. The vast majority of people living in this country doesn't even know that it is in place, another smaller minority think it is good and another yet even smaller minority thinks that it is bad for Thailand

But then, had the reds who were occupying large parts of Bangkok and cost the country's tax payers somewhere in the region of 150,000,000,000 bath totally known that what they supported only got 36% of the votes at the last election despite heavy vote buying, then the state of emergency wouldn't even be in place now

1,000 year is a preposterous prediction, says more that you are one of those watching CNN and BBC for news because you can't understand the Thai TV channels than anything else ;)

Oops, forgot to mention the cost the country's tax payers pays for the airports shut down. ZERO Baht.

Oops, forgot to mention the cost the country's tax payers pays for the airports shut down. ZERO Baht.

There was a cost there too of course, well worth ousting a person who only got 36% of the people's votes despite excessive vote buying and still acted like a dictator

I have no love for Reds or Yellows - but this statement is ridiculous, Rucharee. The shutdown of the airport did serious and tangible financial harm to the country. No cost? The government had to pay billions in subsidies to Tourist industries affected, that was a sizable cost. No cost? The government lost billions in tax revenue, from lost income, investments, exports, etc.

Both the Reds and Yellows have wrought serious financial harm on Thailand. Both of them need to removed, as cancerous lesions.

I have no love for Reds or Yellows - but this statement is ridiculous, Rucharee. The shutdown of the airport did serious and tangible financial harm to the country. No cost? The government had to pay billions in subsidies to Tourist industries affected, that was a sizable cost. No cost? The government lost billions in tax revenue, from lost income, investments, exports, etc.

Both the Reds and Yellows have wrought serious financial harm on Thailand. Both of them need to removed, as cancerous lesions.

Please tell that to the court.

The court say, the government did not file for damage, so there was no damage.