Thai Custom Or Thai Madwomen?!

Ted

Walking along the streets of Bangkok one lunchtime I spotted a Thai old dear standing outside a bar with a tray of drinks - Nothing exceptionally odd about that.

It was what came next that surprised me.

Picking up the drinks one by one (looked like multicolour shots of the Midori / Blue Curracao ilk) she carefully tossed them over the pavement. After side-stepping the first drink I watched her finish, walk back into the bar, pick up some glasses and get back to work.

Some Thai custom or Thai Madwomen?! Either way I bet the Landlord wasn't too thrilled.

They may have been drinks that are put next to the Buddha, she was probably cleaning everything up and replacing old offerings.   :D

Yes, this is a Buddha thing, shes not going mad ! :D Have had my shoes blessed many a time whilst walking down the Sois of Sin City ! :o

Very common sight. Even a lot of the t-shirt and souviener vendors will set up a little stand in front of their "shop" with offerings to Buddha. At the end of the day/night, they toss the liquids and flowers away.

Most bars have a sink, and so the old offerings go down the drain. Many people have those little shrines in their homes, but I noticed they don't usually refresh the offerings as often as they do in the bars and other businesses. When they do, the old liquid (often booze, water and/or pop) will go down the sink or out on the road, which ever is more convenient.

When I first went to my lady's village, her Mother and her friends/relatives all turned up and they had a little ritual where where they poured alcohol into a pot plant or something, or was it the dirt...can't quite remember - supposed to be good luck or something...of course the local alcoholics turned up as well for a sniff of anything/something/gimme gimme gimme :o

:D