World Cup 2010 Only - General Discussion Only

bkkjames

No big surprises ( forget about referee decisions ) at the moment as Uruguay, Ghana, Germany and Argentina have qualified for the next round.

Tonight we should not have any surprises either with Netherlands and Brazil easily winning their respective matches.

The only "surprise" in this round of 16 might come from Japan beating Paraguay.

Cheers

Right now I think only the Argentines look to keep the Cup from Brazil. The Germans don't look as clinical as usual even though they beat the English easy peasy.

Portugal vs Spain look to be the match of the event for tomorrow thus far.

I shall change that to Argentina Brazil final after nobody spotted my deliberate mistake ;)

Spain Uruguay 3rd place play off.

I think it's a toss up between Brazil, Argentina and Spain, although the Spaniards are going to have to up their game. The Argentines still IMHO don't look the real deal in defense and i think/hope they will get caught out.

After a few football-free days, the WC is back and tonight we will have the first semi final with Uruguay playing against the Dutch. <br><br>While both teams' strikers are making headlines for both, good and bad reasons,

their success is built on defensive strength. Uruguay has only conceded two goals at the World Cup, while the Dutch just three.

<p class="inside-copy">The Uruguayans is the sole S.American team in

the last four after Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay crashed out in

the quarterfinals against European teams.</p><p class="inside-copy">Uruguay 1 - Holland 3<br></p><p class="inside-copy"><br></p><p class="inside-copy"><br></p><br>

After a few football-free days, the WC is back and tonight we will have the first semi final with Uruguay playing against the Dutch. <br><br>While both teams' strikers are making headlines for both, good and bad reasons,

their success is built on defensive strength. Uruguay has only conceded two goals at the World Cup, while the Dutch just three.

the quarterfinals against European teams.</p><p class="inside-copy">Uruguay 1 - Holland 3

If you want to comment...fine; but please be correct with your claims.

Holland made 5 goals in the first 3 matches and 2 in the match against Brazil. That's a total of 7 goals, not three ;)

They had just 2 goals against them in 4 matches.

Holland is also the only country who won ALL 4 games so far. No other country in the WC 2010 accomplished that !

Apart from that, Holland is the only country who didn't lose a single match in the last 24 International Matches.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

the quarterfinals against European teams.</p><p class="inside-copy">Uruguay 1 - Holland 3

If you want to comment...fine; but please be correct with your claims.

Holland made 5 goals in the first 3 matches and 2 in the match against Brazil. That's a total of 7 goals, not three ;)

They had just 2 goals against them in 4 matches.

Holland is also the only country who won ALL 4 games so far. No other country in the WC 2010 accomplished that !

Apart from that, Holland is the only country who didn't lose a single match in the last 24 International Matches.

LaoPo

If you want to comment on my information.....fine, but before doing that pls. make sure that you understand what I have mentioned and that your comments are correct.

I said Holland has conceded ( received ) 3 goals and it is correct ( Cameroon, Slovakia and Brazil scored one goal each ). Pls. update your information!!!

Thanks for the info about Holland. BTW, out of the last four teams, Holland and Spain have never been WORLD CHAMPIONS. Both teams might meet at the final this year. Good luck.

[q

I said Holland has conceded ( received ) 3 goals and it is correct ( Cameroon, Slovakia and Brazil scored one goal each ). Pls. update your information!!!

Thanks for the info about Holland. BTW, out of the last four teams, Holland and Spain have never been WORLD CHAMPIONS. Both teams might meet at the final this year. Good luck.

Sorry: I misread your post.

Also correct: Holland and Spain never reached the final title of World Champions but Holland was in the finals of 1974 against Germany and 1978 against Argentina.

2010 will be the third time Holland will play the FINAL.

"Spain in fact have never reached even the semi-finals of the FIFA World Cup™, though they did make a final group of four in 1950 which eventually determined the winner. Torres insisted that it was important the team did not believe their job is already done."

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1269045/index.html#torres+we+never+this+chance+again

LaoPo

I'm i correct in saying that this will be the first time a European team will lift the World Cup outside of Europe ??

Also, Spain and Holland have never won it before.

Few more things regarding our first finalist, pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

• Together with Hungary and Czechoslovakia, Holland holds a negative record of having reached two WC finals and never won one. Hope that they will win this time, if not they will have a very sad and negative record.
  • Holland might become the smallest country ( area ) to win a football WC. Currently this "record" is held by Uruguay.
  • Holland have played each final in a different continent. The previous two were played in Europe and S.America.

I'm i correct in saying that this will be the first time a European team will lift the World Cup outside of Europe ??

• Together with Hungary and Czechoslovakia, Holland holds a negative record of having reached two WC finals and never won one. Hope that they will win this time, if not they will have a very sad and negative record.
  • Holland might become the smallest country ( area ) to win a football WC. Currently this "record" is held by Uruguay.
  • Holland have played each final in a different continent. The previous two were played in Europe and S.America.

To add 1 more to that list. If Holland win the final in 90 minutes , they will be only the second team in world cup history to win all their games in 90 minutes, The other team beaing the great Brazi side of 1970

Edited by craigm16

That record by Uruguay will hold for a long long time to come and I doubt if it will EVER be beaten by any other country with less people in the future.

Uruguay has a low population of a mere 3,5 million people -

Holland, at the moment, has almost 16,8 million people

BTW:

Germany: 82,3 million people

Spain: 40,5 million people

LaoPo

That record by Uruguay will hold for a long long time to come and I doubt if it will EVER be beaten by any other country with less people in the future.

Uruguay has a low population of a mere 3,5 million people -

Holland, at the moment, has almost 16,8 million people

BTW:

Germany: 82,3 million people

Spain: 40,5 million people

LaoPo

Actually, Holland is way smaller than Uruguay ( area, not population ).

- Total176,215 km2- Total176,215 km2- Total176,215 km2Uruguay - 176,215 km2

Netherlands - 42,508 km2

Cheers