Public Announcement On Loudspeakers

Gladiator

First up - please accept that I am an easy-going kind of person - Really! Also that I realize that I am a guest living in someone else's country with my Thai family.

I live in a very small village at Nam Phrae close to Hang Dong. A few weeks ago an announcement came over the village loudspeakers. It ran for about two minutes with man's voice, mosquitoes droning, music and some singing. and it was repeated over and over again for two hours. I asked my wife what it was all about. She said it had to do with House Cleaning Day - Ban Khao Jee. Fair enough. But this message starts at 0600 in the morning and has ocurred for several other days days including today Sunday morning.

I have tried earplugs, listening to music, white noise and forest sounds on earphones to block it out. All to no avail.

Has any one else experienced this or has a rationale that I can try to understand?

I hate the speaker announcements too which is why I had a long search to find a nice quiet village where I could position our house as far as possible from the one speaker there is.

After a few years you do almost get used to it but when I do get woken up at some ungodly hour I still feel the urge to reach for the cable cutters!

Wifey lived in the UK with me before we moved to Thailand nearly 4 years ago. Before she didn't understand what I was complaining about when I talked about the noise from all the speakers in her home town. She just didn't hear them which begs the question, 'What's the point?'

Now she hates the noise as much as I do.

I guess that the point that I wa trying to make was;-

Sure, I accept the normal Ban announcements which are informative for all who live in the village, even if made at very early hours - but this one is different. It is a two minute recording which is played repeatedly for two hours commencing at 0600 in the morning. Not just for the one day, but has recurred on several other days during the past few weeks.

Ear plugs just do not work.

Sure, I accept the normal Ban announcements which are informative for all who live in the village, even if made at very early hours - but this one is different. It is a two minute recording which is played repeatedly for two hours commencing at 0600 in the morning. Not just for the one day, but has recurred on several other days during the past few weeks.

Anywhere you go in Thailand, village or city its the same. As I was told if you can,t take the heat get out of the kitchen. :D

Anywhere you go in Thailand, village or city its the same. As I was told if you can,t take the heat get out of the kitchen. :D

I beg to differ.

Its not the same.

During the 10 years that I have lived in Chiang Mai and Thailand, I have had the pleasure to have lived in a number of differnt locations, both here in Chiang Mai. On top of the hill between Pattaya and Jomthiem, where I have a room close to he yacht club. Also in Khon Kaen - my wife's home town. In some locations there have been various public announcements. In others - none. Whatever, but this announcement and its duration is something I have never encountred before and I posted to see if anyone else had experienced it or had a rationale.

I beg to differ.

Its not the same.

During the 10 years that I have lived in Chiang Mai and Thailand, I have had the pleasure to have lived in a number of differnt locations, both here in Chiang Mai. On top of the hill between Pattaya and Jomthiem, where I have a room close to he yacht club. Also in Khon Kaen - my wife's home town. In some locations there have been various public announcements. In others - none. Whatever, but this announcement and its duration is something I have never encountred before and I posted to see if anyone else had experienced it or had a rationale.

Must have been the fog horns from the yacht club drowning out the native noise.:lol: Welcome to the real Thailand.

I beg to differ.

Its not the same.

Must have been the fog horns from the yacht club drowning out the native noise.:lol: Welcome to the real Thailand.

In that your supposition that "Anywhere you go in Thailand, village or city its the same." is incorrect.

So is your reference, at clumsy humour, "Must have been the fog horns from the yacht club drowning out the native noise"

Sorry - No fog - No fog horns.

I am not sure where you live, and am not really interested, but do you have public loudspeakers broadcasting this specific announcement periodically? If not - I would suggest that you are not qualified to comment.