Your Opinion Of Phuket

grumpyoldman

I"ve been here almost 15 years and i have to agree it is now a shithole. I can't wait to get out.

Can you post a picture of the outside and inside of your house?

it will probably explain your post

Lol. I just want to hear about why they can't get out. Is the army or police holding a gun to their heads? Nevermind about mortgage payments, kids in school, work commitments, can't sell at a loss etc. What really is keeping these people that don't want to be here, here? There's always a new school, new job, new house, new opportunity awaiting if someone is motivated etc.. Anyone can get out of any situation if they have the desire. Otherwise I'd say Ki ki yat.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You asked "how long have you lived here, and what is your opinion" so i told you. There are many reasons why some of us are stuck in this shithole and can't leave, i'm not about to go into my reasons though on this forum.

wow, guess you got lucky "the shithole" you are stuck in is not Baghdad, Kandahar, most of Bangladesh or Soweto, huh?

To recollect a phrase, I think most would agree, those are bigger shitholes.

dead right..theey are ,without doubt bigger shitholes

they also without doubt are not promoted as premier destinations :blink:

the poster said this;

Posted Yesterday, 17:05

snapback.pngRoyale, on 2010-07-02 15:37, said:

You asked "how long have you lived here, and what is your opinion" so i told you. There are many reasons why some of us are stuck in this shithole and can't leave, i'm not about to go into my reasons though on this forum.

all you members who continue to not accept other members opinions really are showing your true [but anonamous]:ph34r: colours...

wow, guess you got lucky "the shithole" you are stuck in is not Baghdad, Kandahar, most of Bangladesh or Soweto, huh?

To recollect a phrase, I think most would agree, those are bigger shitholes.

dead right..theey are ,without doubt bigger shitholes

they also without doubt are not promoted as premier destinations :blink:

the poster said this;

Posted Yesterday, 17:05

snapback.pngRoyale, on 2010-07-02 15:37, said:

all you members who continue to not accept other members opinions really are showing your true [but anonamous]:ph34r: colours...

Thanks for reposting that post...........is there and echo in here?

I don't understand why everyone is pounding on ausinpatong when what he writes is known by all of us. When he points out the the poor infrastructure, he's not whining about the need for more development, he's just asking for development that is planned and of better quality. He's quite correct to point out that Thailand promotes Phuket as some mystical tropical paradise. I believe it is criminal that the local government does not warn tourists that raw sewage flows into Patong Bay. And that's the point. You cannot promote a place as something it is not. Such practices are called deceptive marketing and fraud. Sooner or later it catches up with you and then wham you get a chunk ripped out of your arse. It takes awhile for tourism to turn, but when it does, it is brutal and devastating.

Losing the tourist revenues in a tourist destination means that prices would skyrocket even more on Phuket because there would be a loss of consumer spending and the loss of the economy of scale that goes along with it. We're seeing a bit of the impact of a drop in tourists now with the increase in petty crime. And please do not use the argument, but we have crime in our homeland. Sure we do, but Phuket attracts a majority of its tourists from countries where the crime rates and vehicle collision rates are all significantly lower than on Phuket.

There is no doubt that there are some lovely places on the island such as the Bang Tao and Laguna areas. I happen to be fond of Karon Beach. Because of irresponsible practices elsewhere on the island, particularly in Patong, everyone else suffers on Phuket. It's easy enough to say, Patong isn't Phuket, but what you have to appreciate is that Patong is a toxic chancre on the island and is slowly killing all the qualities that made the island wonderful.. All it takes is some low cost investments like the enforcement of the parking rules and intallation of pedestrian traffic lights along the beach road in Patong and there would be an enormous improvement. it isn't done because the municipality is rotten to the core. Unfortunately, when a body part starts rotting it spreads throughout the rest of the body destroying the parts that were alright.

Edited by geriatrickid

All it takes is some low cost investments like the enforcement of the parking rules and intallation of pedestrian traffic lights along the beach road in Patong and there would be an enormous improvement. it isn't done because the municipality is rotten to the core. Unfortunately, when a body part starts rotting it spreads throughout the rest of the body destroying the parts that were alright.

So so true .... :(

I don't understand why everyone is pounding on ausinpatong when what he writes is known by all of us. When he points out the the poor infrastructure, he's not whining about the need for more development, he's just asking for development that is planned and of better quality. He's quite correct to point out that Thailand promotes Phuket as some mystical tropical paradise. I believe it is criminal that the local government does not warn tourists that raw sewage flows into Patong Bay. And that's the point. You cannot promote a place as something it is not. Such practices are called deceptive marketing and fraud. Sooner or later it catches up with you and then wham you get a chunk ripped out of your arse. It takes awhile for tourism to turn, but when it does, it is brutal and devastating.

Losing the tourist revenues in a tourist destination means that prices would skyrocket even more on Phuket because there would be a loss of consumer spending and the loss of the economy of scale that goes along with it. We're seeing a bit of the impact of a drop in tourists now with the increase in petty crime. And please do not use the argument, but we have crime in our homeland. Sure we do, but Phuket attracts a majority of its tourists from countries where the crime rates and vehicle collision rates are all significantly lower than on Phuket.

There is no doubt that there are some lovely places on the island such as the Bang Tao and Laguna areas. I happen to be fond of Karon Beach. Because of irresponsible practices elsewhere on the island, particularly in Patong, everyone else suffers on Phuket. It's easy enough to say, Patong isn't Phuket, but what you have to appreciate is that Patong is a toxic chancre on the island and is slowly killing all the qualities that made the island wonderful.. All it takes is some low cost investments like the enforcement of the parking rules and intallation of pedestrian traffic lights along the beach road in Patong and there would be an enormous improvement. it isn't done because the municipality is rotten to the core. Unfortunately, when a body part starts rotting it spreads throughout the rest of the body destroying the parts that were alright.

the entire post so,so true :angry:

A number of flames have been deleted from this topic.

If certain individuals cannot discuss the topic in a civil and respectful manner without resorting to personal attacks against other members, then revoking posting rights or suspension from the forum will be the result.

Be warned.

What a pathetic thread. Are the regular posters/guests/viewers of this forum particularly interested in exchanging this kind of infantile information? Unfortunately (as an observation), TV get's too much of these kind of posts, which detracts from relatively serious posters, and hence TV degenerates into a childish squabble, not worthy of any adult.

Bottom line, opinion of Phuket? If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Easy.

What a pathetic thread. Are the regular posters/guests/viewers of this forum particularly interested in exchanging this kind of infantile information? Unfortunately (as an observation), TV get's too much of these kind of posts, which detracts from relatively serious posters, and hence TV degenerates into a childish squabble, not worthy of any adult.

Bottom line, opinion of Phuket? If you don't like it, go somewhere else. Easy.

i agree with whwt you are saying and take note of how most threads of interest more than , best restaurant or UBC info or what ever turn into a huge brawl with all sorts of irrelavent <deleted> being posted..

as for your bottom line re opinion of phuket

please tell me why, myself or anyone else should not be able to post an informed and honest opinion about the place we live with out the tiresome;

of you dont like it , go somewhere else?

if people dont agree with an opinion they can simply say fine , thats your opinion...i may not agree with it , but its your opinion

then you can post what your opimion is and why...quite easy

the problem is this...courtesy of livinlos a way back;

I think many posters seem to confuse a difference of opinion with a personal attack.

this is the crux of the matter !

i agree with whwt you are saying and take note of how most threads of interest more than , best restaurant or UBC info or what ever turn into a huge brawl with all sorts of irrelavent <deleted> being posted..

as for your bottom line re opinion of phuket

please tell me why, myself or anyone else should not be able to post an informed and honest opinion about the place we live with out the tiresome;

if people dont agree with an opinion they can simply say fine , thats your opinion...i may not agree with it , but its your opinion

the problem is this...courtesy of livinlos a way back;

I think many posters seem to confuse a difference of opinion with a personal attack.

this is the crux of the matter !

My point is these kinds of threads are unfortunately perennial in this Forum, and inevitably degenerate into exchanges of abuse. They also serve no purpose. Your stance on freedom of opinion is correct, but again unfortunately there are those only too willing to display their unpleasant traits and prejudices.

Seems I missed some mud slinging.. surely discussing it can remain civil..

Phuket was rather nice back in 1980

No, it wasnt. It s nice now.

But if Phuket 1980 is what you want, there are plenty of vacant islands aorund in LOS:rolleyes:

An interesting aspect I often think of.. Whenever the argument comes up about land ownership, and that farangs price thais out of the area and its unfair.. But of those thais were not out of towners coming to profit from the farangs there, if they were actually locals, and wished it was how it was before, well the land they as locals would own, they can sell for a massive profit, and move up the coast where there are no amenities, built to service the tourist dollars. Sell the land at a few million a rai and live where it isnt farang influenced, where there are no carrefores, where the 30 baht hospital is crap, where there is no cinema, etc etc etc.. Just as it was back in the 80's.. And reap a massive windfall in difference in land value while they do it.

I do think the island is getting worse overall, however.

There seems to be a horrific violent crime just about every week now and the way the landscape is being raped is scandalous. I still love this place, though. never a dull moment

I have only been off the island for a couple of weeks.. I spoke to a couple of people yesterday and the 3 reports are..

1) Farang shot near banzaan (while stopping a Thai mugging ??).. Luckily the bullet just grazed his stomach, a tiny nick, lucky just the same..

2) Mate of mine house burgled in Kathu, usual just grabbing of anything loose, laptops etc.. Hes now having bars put on the windows.

3) Much more serious.. A good mate of mine, asleep on his couch in Patong, someone slides open his door and holds him at gunpoint while he then robs the house. Thats a fairly high level of home invasion.

Police response tot he last 2 issues by friends of mine was basically nothing.. Refused to look for prints or anything.

Of all the issues crime is the one that worries me most going forward.. I can insulate myself from many of the downsides, I can not use tuktuks, I can avoid Patong, I can etc.. But crime is different. I dont want to live in a home with bars on the windows, in my own tropical prison.

Edited by LivinLOS

Exactly. :rolleyes:

However, Lalaland Syndrome is incurable and one must just bimble along and humour the 'get outta my Lalaland' old duffer society. Opinions on the current state of Phuket are what are what are, and not an attempt to re-write the Magna Carta. Many of these opinions don't go down too well with the odious Thai Defender Gang, but that's too bad for them and will not change my or anybody else's free opinion. Look at any TV forum across the various boards and a common theme will be "what this country needs/wants/is.."...which are of course valid opinions, but at the same time quite vacuous as none of these opinions will change one single thing regarding the workings of planet Lalaland. A recent mail from a highly respected gentleman of some advanced years, here on this forum, advised me that a local Phuket radio show had mentioned my name (re: a post I made on TV). Possibly, the DJ was not overly complimentary towards me, but hey, it's just an opinion and no skin off my big fawang nose. Wish I'd been there...a quick call to that DJ would have been in order...I'll sue, I tell ya! :lol:

I went to the Villa Market the other day and went to buy some tomatoes, the sign said 55 baht per kilo. When she weighed and priced them it worked out to be 480 baht for six tomatoes. 550 baht per kilo I almost died and put them back. I get nice tomatoes at the roadside market for 5 baht each. They don't look as nice as the one in VM but sure tasted better especially when they are only 5 baht each.

Hi

Been here close to 10 years now, yes it is a shithole or half a shithole, it was nice when i first came here but hey that's 10 years ago it can't be like that all the times, Phuket move forward as well (not to the best) i have been thinking about moving to CM as well, i was up there for a few days so not a chance i will do it (for now) no sea, i like the sea, and i have to be close to Villa market so i think i have to stay here.

Just get rid of most of the tourist and it will be nice again ;) , yes yes i know but i don't live of them like a lot of people does.

And close half the eating places they are not worth anything, they just try to sell some food there taste like <deleted> anyway, amazing they are still open. But don't you dare touch M&M and Fattys

Have a nice day it's raining in Nai Harn so i am of to Villa for some nice imported stuff.

I could not live out in "nowhere", that's why I live in this shithole, and i half love it. <_<

Two of my favorite foodstores Tops central and Villa Market I dont even look at fruit or veggies. Unbelievable prices.

Two of my other favorite foodstores Carrefour and Macro have fruit and veggies at very reasonable prices. and Tesco Lotus.

Edited by katabeachbum

I went to the Villa Market the other day and went to buy some tomatoes, the sign said 55 baht per kilo. When she weighed and priced them it worked out to be 480 baht for six tomatoes. 550 baht per kilo I almost died and put them back. I get nice tomatoes at the roadside market for 5 baht each. They don't look as nice as the one in VM but sure tasted better especially when they are only 5 baht each.

Hi Must be the cheap ones, have seen cherry tomatoes cost 850B KG in VM :)

BUT they also have the cheap Thai tomatoes so you done have to buy the other ones, if i want Thai i also go to the market but for imported stuff you cant beat VM