3 Years Of Tourist Visas And Continuing

I've been doing visa runs for 3+ years. I've done countless border runs. I've had 6-months double entry visas from Narathiwat when they were still doing it. I've done Penang and KL for 3-month visas as well.

Recently, I tried doing a 1-year multiple entry non-B visa (business investment speculation) through Sunbelt Asia (cost 7,700 including taxes and so on). I went to the Thai consular office in Hawaii, but they said they couldn't give this visa. Then, I went to Thai embassy in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and try to give them the same letter, but they said, the letter must be addressed to them and not to the office in Hawaii (my mistake). Couldn't contact Sunbelt in the short time I had so I ended up just getting another 3-month tourist visa.

After this experience, I thought why not just keep doing the tourist visas until the government makes another stink about "cracking down on farrangs staying in the country for years on tourist visas." I only got hassled (4 times) at the Phuket Airport Immigration, and never at BKK.

I'm a self-employed technical consultant. I do all my work over the internet, and travel back to the US twice every year. I thought about incorporating a company in Thailand, but all the changes in the taxes and reams of paperwork really turned me off. It takes away from the feeling of living in paradise. I'm not old enough to retire, and have not yet found a suitable Thai lady for marriage.

I was wondering how many of you have been doing tourist visas and for how long. Any problems? Any other strategies?

I would visit or call one of the smaller Honorary Thai Consulates such as those in Texas or Denver on your next visit and see if they might be able to provide you a multi entry O visa. That could allow stays of up to 90 days for a period of almost 15 months.

If you can invest 3 million baht you might be able to obtain an investment type extension of stay from the immigration department inside Thailand.

I was wondering how many of you have been doing tourist visas and for how long. Any problems? Any other strategies?

I did the same for the first almost 9 months i was in Thailand. I'm here for over a year now (about 15 months or so). First on tourist visas, now on B visa. I'm self employed with several internet companies overseas, just living in Thailand. Perhaps i'll get a marriage visa next year.

Wow, very similar situation with me: 3+ years of tourist visa runs, by trade self employed software dev for international markets, happily single, too young for retirement visa. I have observed increased tightening in the tourist visa area at various consulates as time goes on and worry at anytime it could be all over. I can't for instance go to my old standby Vientiane any longer due to their new rules.

My situation allows me to live pretty much anywhere, but I love Thailand the most. I spend 1m baht a year in LOS so I am a super tourist comparable to 20 or so regular tourists in terms of tourist revenue for LOS each year. I intend to string out tourist visas as long as there exists a nearby consulate that allows it. In the event I can't, it will be a decision between the 3m baht investment visa (undesirable as I'm still suffering from being dot bombed) or off to live in a diff country. Vietnam is pretty nice, but has its own set of visa challenges.

My situation allows me to live pretty much anywhere, but I love Thailand the most. I spend 1m baht a year in LOS so I am a super tourist comparable to 20 or so regular tourists in terms of tourist revenue for LOS each year. I intend to string out tourist visas as long as there exists a nearby consulate that allows it. In the event I can't, it will be a decision between the 3m baht investment visa (undesirable as I'm still suffering from being dot bombed) or off to live in a diff country. Vietnam is pretty nice, but has its own set of visa challenges.

Yeah, I tried Vietnam and the Phillipines as well, but on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Thailand, Vietnam gets only a 4 and Phillipines gets a 3 in my view.

In the Phillipines, I rarely feel safe in big cities or in the more far flung place with beautiful natural scenery. The disparity between the have's and the have-not's is much larger so it's more difficult to adjust to as a foreigner.

As for Vietnam, a friend of mine is a Western doctor working there dealing with birth defects and cancers. He said the rate of illness and cancer in that country is many times higher than in Thailand. "Astronomical" was the term he used. Agent Orange, bombs and whatever chemicals that were dropped by the US during the VN War are still around and wreaking havoc on the population. A short tourist visit is okay, but I don't know if I'd want to breathe, drink, or eat in that country for the long term. Beyond that, I always get the feeling people are always watching me and are ready to take advantage. Certainly, they don't have the mai-pen-rai, sabai-sabai attitudes of Thais. I tried living there for 3 months and it wasn't good.

I don't mind investing 3 mil bhat, or even getting an O visa, or whatever, but the reams of papers I see farrangs lug around to the consulate seemed rather difficult.

On another note, I was wondering how some of you guys feel about disclosing your finances to some immigration police officers to show that you can support your Thai wife. Do they grill you with questions or do they just look at your bank statement and say "Okay, you have money"? Does it get awkward? Coming from America with western sensibilities, I feel it's a private matter, one's finances.

Immigration is not interested in your financial accounts beyond the point that you have them as confirmed in a letter from your Embassy (if you are using income rather than bank deposit). There is an item on the checklist for annual income so that would normally be the only question asked. There is no grilling and hot lights involved. :o

Even the "reams" of paperwork only amounts to perhaps 15-20 pages for those with support extensions and even less for retirement.

The 3 million baht investment details are below if you are serious.

Application for extension of stay of persons investing a minimum of 3 million Baht in the Kingdom

Required Documents

Evidence of transfer of at least 3 million Baht from abroad into Thailand. The applicant must be either the sender abroad or the recipient in Thailand of the investment.

Evidence of investing the transferred money after the transfer is completed in one or several of the following cases:

Deposit the money in a fixed account of a state bank (Krung Thai Bank, Government Savings Bank, Bank for Agriculture and Cooperative, Ratanasin Bank, Srinakhorn Bank, Nakhornluang Thai Bank, Housing Bank)

Buy bonds issued by a state agency or government enterprise. The bonds must be purchased directly from a state agency or government enterprise or an authorised dealer.

Buy an apartment or condominium at the price set and registered by the Land Department.

Any kind of investment deemed beneficial to the country by the Immigration Bureau.

Conditions for permission

The foreign national must permanently possess the investment. If he wishes to change the kind of investment, he first has to ask for permission to change the kind of investment and may tghen change to a new permanent kind of investment.

Note

For more information, please call 0-2285-5148

Hey Cloud, I know totally where you are coming from re: finances and this country. It seems like whenever I spend money here I get burned to a crispy crunch. Frankly I'm damned sick of it. Any time you lay out cash for anything here, your cash is gone!!! You cannot change your mind here after you lay out the cash! Businesses and individuals in the USA get fined and do jail time for things biz as usual in LOS (land of scams). I would think twice be4 investing 3 mil baht here

I am also on a tourist visa, long term. I pick up quadruples in Hull, England and in other countries a double if I'm lucky, but a single is still good for three months.

There are some people who do a visa run to Cambodia EVERY single month, I would have thought that they will be 'hassled' first. They are clearly not tourists, where as I, who fly out of Bangkok to another country and get a fresh tourist visa, am a bona-fide tourist, who just does a lot of tourism in Thailand.

However T.I.T. and rules can rapidly change, the day will come when even changing your passport will not help your cause. When that day comes I will have to marry a Thai.

There is hope, though that gthings might change, for example creation of a 3 or 6 month tourist visa. After the tsunami maybe visa regulations might be eased.

I know of a few people who have relocated to Cambodia to live, I hear they are more relaxed abot visas and that they are friendly like the Thai's...any views or experience of Cambodian hospitality?

Hey Cloud, I know totally where you are coming from re: finances and this country. It seems like whenever I spend money here I get burned to a crispy crunch. Frankly I'm damned sick of it. Any time you lay out cash for anything here, your cash is gone!!!

:D

I hear you, Dude. In the time I've been here, I've always been over my budget. Sometimes, when my flight is delayed, when the Immigration Police gives me a hard time, when I'm down with the flu and have to make a border run, when I pay for services that never materialize adequately, when I get the 100,000th close call on the road, I wonder about being here, but at heart, I'm a bit of an anarchist and hate rules and laws. And, you know, in America, we've got loads of them.

But, again, in the time I've been here, I see that the line between Paradise and ###### is very thin in LOS. Things happen in the blink of an eye. Fortune, health, and happiness can change so very quickly--especially for some of the farrangs I've known. :o

Could you explain the 7700 B visa in a little detail ??

I was in the process of getting a non O from hull but the costs of getting it do add up..

Under 50, unmarried, not working.. Dont intend to change any of those..

Could you explain the 7700 B visa in a little detail ??

I was in the process of getting a non O from hull but the costs of getting it do add up..

Under 50, unmarried, not working.. Dont intend to change any of those..

Well, I read Sunbelt's post on this forum and then chat with a farrang working there about getting this Non Immigrant B Investment Speculation Visa. I also saw the Sunbelt Ad for the 1-year visa for 6,500bhat (I think, I don't have the Bangkok Post in front of me).

When I got to Bangkok, I popped into their office and gave them my passport, they issued a letter of introduction and a copy of their company registrations, etc. They gave me the bill of 7,700 bhat which included VAT and something else. When I mentioned the 6,500 1-year visa, they said that the "investment visa" was a different case that required Sunbelt to "vouch" for me and my intention to look for investment in LOS.

The extra costs doesn't bother me. They seemed professional enough although it seemed a tad high for 5 minutes of work on their part. I asked them if they knew of anyone having problem applying for this visa through the Hawaii Thai Consulate. They said no and mentioned many people also applied through the Thai Embassy in Sri Lanka. Granted if I had shown up at Sri Lanka with a letter addressed to them instead of to the Hawaii consulate, I might have gotten the visa.

I'm also curious if anyone has gotten one of these Non-B investment visa with a Thai company letter of introduciton, and which embassy/consular office issued it, and when (how long ago, as rules changes all the time).

seems like so many people say you can do this or that in this country only to find out that when you yourself try, no can do. This has been majorly frustrating for me in my time here. This is in regards to visas and other important things here. This is the land of catch 22s. I mean cloud, look at all the crappola you went through man. You are told one thing only to have Thai officials tell you that it can't be done. I call that a nightmare. There was a lot more than 7700 baht you lost. If I were you dude, I'd go with the tourism visas or if you are planning to buy 3 mil condo then do that. I do know that this type of visa is easy to get right from bkk immi as long as youre on a tourist visa when you want to switch. Now be very aware dude that your condo purchase will be a whole nother series of catch 22s and mandatory paper work. Make sure you know all facts before handing over and cash to any Thai MFer (even then). Beware my good man. any questions pls ask

So can this be arranged with me inside the country ???

If I have to leave can I simply hit Sillypore / KL / Penang for a day or does it take 3 days stay...

I am assuming this gets me a one year B visa (usually able to play it out to a day shy of 15 months) and requires 90 day visa runs ???

Possible to DHL passport and other docs up from Phuket or need me in person in Bonkers ??

Wow dude, you got some trippy name for all these places inc Bangcock. Now Livin', please report back on how all goes getting this visa. I know a lot of ppl very interested in doing same same. Hope all goes smooooth dude

Oh Livin': these are the facts about changing visas within thailand as I know them. as long as you are on a 60 day tourist, not ext or VOA, then you can switch from said 60 day to a investor visa with proper paperwork at BKK immi. they have a room on 2nd floor bkk immi marked "change visa". I do not know however if you can switch to your non immi B there

Edited by The Dude

So can this be arranged with me inside the country ???

If I have to leave can I simply hit Sillypore / KL / Penang for a day or does it take 3 days stay...

I am assuming this gets me a one year B visa (usually able to play it out to a day shy of 15 months) and requires 90 day visa runs ??? 

Possible to DHL passport and other docs up from Phuket or need me in person in Bonkers ??

Don't know for sure, LOS. I've read on this forum and elsewhere that unless you're in your own country, it's not a good idea to post/DHL/FedEx your passport around. Sunbelt told me to show up at their office. I'm not sure but I think they also mentioned a courier service. Call them direct if you wish.

This is the land of catch 22s. I mean cloud, look at all the crappola you went through man. You are told one thing only to have Thai officials tell you that it can't be done. I call that a nightmare. There was a lot more than 7700 baht you lost. If I were you dude, I'd go with the tourism visas or if you are planning to buy 3 mil condo then do that. I do know that this type of visa is easy to get right from bkk immi as long as youre on a tourist visa when you want to switch. Now be very aware dude that your condo purchase will be a whole nother series of catch 22s and mandatory paper work. Make sure you know all facts before handing over and cash to any Thai MFer (even then). Beware my good man. any questions pls ask

I had a good laugh over it. I expected that it might be problematic. I'm usually willing to try anything once.

No buying condo this year. Sooner or later, there will be a terrorist incident in Phuket and the condo market in Phuket as well as other places around the country will fall through the floor. Might be interesting to buy one then.

In March this year, I went thru the Hat Yai Airport and mentioned to my travelling buddy: "Wow, the security is unbelievably lax in this place. I wonder why the Pattani terrorists haven't gotten around to the airport." Then, voila, April came around with a bomb.

In the mean time, I'm still on the tourist visa. Got to see Sri Lanka, last time. Maybe I'll see Rangoon in 3 months :o

I'm very much interested in keeping the good feeling that I have freedom in Paradise.

I realize the letting passport out of your hands rules but I have 4 passports (all legal and valid) here at home so its not like I would be without one..

I suspect this is merely providing the paper guarantees to get a B visa in an embassy back in your home territory (letter of invite from company etc) and if so it would actually not save me anything over a Hull Non imm O..

If however it is a sure fire way of getting a B visa issued in a local embassy (local meaning neighbouring countries also) then its approx the same costs as a Hull visa...

Either way I am curious to hear the options..

I have been doing monthly visa runs for 7 months now, I do not regard retirement or marriage related visas as a simpler option, to much bullshit involved , such as providing certified bank statements dated within 10 days of their submisssion , not very convenient especially when your bank is in Jamaica!

I will continue to do monthly visa runs until they clamp down on them, but it is possible that the Thai authorities are also on the run and are loathe to make it more difficult for farang to spend their wedge in LOS.

One would imagine that the situation is pretty dire if a nations economy cannot support its inhabitants watching TV after midnight!!!

I have been doing monthly visa runs for 7 months now, I do not regard retirement or marriage related visas as a simpler option, to much bullshit involved , such as providing certified bank statements dated within 10 days of their submisssion , not very convenient especially when your bank is in Jamaica!

I will continue to do monthly visa runs until they clamp down on them, but it is possible that the Thai authorities are also on the run and are loathe to make it more difficult for farang to spend their wedge in LOS.

One would imagine that the situation is pretty dire if a nations economy cannot support its inhabitants watching TV after midnight!!!

The bank has to be Thai, (unless you are only talking about first retirement type application from home country) and what you need is a letter from the bank branch giving your account balance within 10 days of your visit to immigration. Cost is 200 baht and not hard to do. Perhaps 30 minutes of your time.

The bank has to be Thai, (unless you are only talking about first retirement type application from home country) and what you need is a letter from the bank branch giving your account balance within 10 days of your visit to immigration. Cost is 200 baht and not hard to do. Perhaps 30 minutes of your time.

Thank you for that it does cast another light on the possibilities.

In the case of buying a condo to be used for getting an extension based on investment, it's important to note that this condo has to bought first-hand!

This means you have to buy directly from the developer, and cannot buy from e.g. another Farang (or Thai for that matter).

This rule is to make sure your investment stays in Thailand. You buy from another Farang, who then transfers the money out of Thailand and Thailand gains nothing...

cannot buy from e.g. another Farang (or Thai for that matter).

Wow, good info as I had no idea you could not buy from a Thai owner which seems the typical case. Are there any caveats in just opening a bank account at one of the approved govt banks, transferring 3m baht in and letting it just sit there for years?

cannot buy from e.g. another Farang (or Thai for that matter).

Wow, good info as I had no idea you could not buy from a Thai owner which seems the typical case. Are there any caveats in just opening a bank account at one of the approved govt banks, transferring 3m baht in and letting it just sit there for years?

Always clear any investment plans with immigration first to make sure it fits and you transfer the money in the proper way to meet requirements.

Another point on condo purchases.

It is my understanding that the 3 million baht needs to be the minimum for the LAND OFFICE value of the condo.

This could possibly mean you would have to pay more than 3 million baht because sometimes the land office recorded value and the actual sales value is different.

I would imagine another landmine would be making sure that the developer can "guarantee" that a unit that can legally be foreign owned in your own name (as opposed to a company owned unit).

Yes indeed, the registered transfer at the Land and House department has to be 3 million...

However, if lets say the transfer is registered at only 2.5 million, you can supplement this with a cash deposit at one of the government banks Lopburi mentioned before. Or government bonds.

The total of the combined investments has to be over 3 million...

And yes, it cannot be company owned, it has to be owned in the name of the person applying for this extension...

Coder,

No caveats that I know of with cash deposits.

Apart from the fact I don't like my cash being eaten away by inflation, since the banks will hardly pay you interest :o

I would rather go with the government bonds, with a bit of luck the keep pace with inflation. (not sure, I'm not current on the yield Thai bonds return)

Always clear any investment plans with immigration first

The problem with this is the difficulties involved in getting consistent and reliable information from any Thai government agency. So much depends on which office you have to deal with, who you speak to in that office, what he or she had for breakfast etc. etc. Even if you do manage to get a definitive description of the regulations, the next person you have to deal with (even in the same office), can simply move the goalposts.

Edited by Rumpole