Ax Murder Ends World Cup Dispute In Thailand

webfact

Ax murder ends World Cup dispute

NAKHON SRI THAMMARAT: -- A man hacked his boss to death with an ax following an argument over play in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, now into the knockout stages in South Africa.

In the early hours of June 22, friends of Suwit Thongkhaha rushed the 42-year-old to hospital, but he was dead on arrival, the Thai-language newspaper Khao Sod ('Fresh News') reported.

At the scene of the crime, in Thung Song District, police found a large pool of blood and evidence that a heavy drinking session had taken place.

Employees of the late Mr Suwit, a construction contractor, told police that five or six of them were drinking with their boss in his house when the incident happened.

Mr Suwit, a big fan of Brazil, insisted that no other team could possibly match their exploits on the pitch. England fan Sithi Thongkhan, 55, took a different view, however.

He argued that while the South American powerhouse may have seemed invincible in the past, recent developments in world football showed that many countries now have a shot at winning.

Mr Suwit stuck to his guns, insisting most fervently that no other team could rival Brazil. His obstinance so enraged Mr Sithi that the latter stormed out of the room. Shortly thereafter, Mr Sithi returned with an ax and struck Mr Suwit twice in the back of the head, splitting open his skull.

Mr Sithi then fled, ax in hand. At last report police were still searching for him.

This is not the first time the World Cup has provoked lethal violence in Thailand. During the 2006 World Cup, two men drinking in a bar in Pattaya were shot dead by a fellow drinker after cheering too loudly while watching Italy defeat Ghana 2-0.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-06-28

This could have happened to me last night when watched the German/England game in a pub here in Phuket.

Gerd

If you were mad enough to watch it in an English pub you deserve nothing else.

:blink: What a totally bizarre thing to say. I do hope you mean it in jest.

People seem to attach loss of face to anything...

Just being contradicted over the strength of your preferred footie team,

is enough to make you get an ax and kill your host... Madness!

Oh wait ;

If loss of face is enough reason to bring down the country around you,

why should losing a football match badly not seem a valid reason to kill?

Bottled up emotions; ready to pop when enough pressure is applied... just ducky.

They really need to much better teach how face matters

and when it shouldn't matter, in the schools and Wats here,

because people still don't seem to instinctively understand it's limitations...

Edited by animatic

And soccer oh sorry football is a none violent sport. :whistling:

Actually compared to other sports like Boxing and Rugby NO it's not really a violent sport... it does however attract some less desirable followers..

You can't blame it on the sport itself.... ;)

That's a prime example of the sort of comment that would cause a problem over a game to start with... :angry:

Edited by george and dragon

Guys - do you not think these 2 may have had some issues already ?

Let us remember that Thais have a habit of making up lame excuses when getting arrested. Anyone remember the woman in Pattaya that was renting out her 13 year old daughter because they didn't have any bus fare ?

I don't think it's right to blame football to be honest, in fact it's entirely possible the comment about England wasn't even made. The guy with the Axe is hardly gonna say that his boss hadn't paid for his last batch of meth is he ?

Think people, think....

Edited by pedro01

This could have happened to me last night when watched the German/England game in a pub here in Phuket.

Gerd

If you were mad enough to watch it in an English pub you deserve nothing else.

I even had a german flag with me but opened it only during the 2nd half.

After the game many of the english supporters came to me and said "congratulations, you deserved it!"

....but a lot of them left before the final whistle :whistling:

Gerd

" Let us remember that Thai's have a habit of making up lame excuses when getting arrested "

Well, after 20+ yrs of being a cop, I can tell you that ANYBODY and EVERYBODY comes up with some really lame excuses when getting arrested. And some whopper lies as well.

Sounds like these two fella's had some other major problems and alcohol compounded it to the extreme.

In a similar fashion - well maybe not so, but close enough - one football (soccer) fan pulled out a pistol and shot another to death, during a recent World Cup match, presumably over similar disagreements. This was in Texas!

The shooting in Texas I can understand; but about soccer? huh.gif

In a similar fashion - well maybe not so, but close enough - one football (soccer) fan pulled out a pistol and shot another to death, during a recent World Cup match, presumably over similar disagreements. This was in Texas!

The shooting in Texas I can understand; but about soccer? huh.gif

See, I told you soccer is coming along in the USA. We are just as crazy as the Thais!

Also note the older man couldnt be corrected by the younger one..

Soccer is okay, or you could call it by what it actually is, kick hockey.

As long as everybody remembers that hockey is played on a field, not on ice.

scnr

Also note the older man couldnt be corrected by the younger one..

Yes that aspect too.

If I have work done, I always have people 10 years younger than me doing it.

Then they have no choice but accept that what I am paying for is done as I direct,

or redone if I direct, because I AM older, and not just the boss.

The 55 year old guy probably had been chaffing under the young boss for awhile,

even if he'd never say it... till good and drunk.

Edited by animatic

Soccer is okay, or you could call it by what it actually is, kick hockey.

Or call it Football which is what it is. Has been and always will be called.