Strange And Weird Offerings To Buddha

tigerfish

o.k. lets get one thing straight before we start, i am in no way poking fun or taking the mick out of thais and their religious beliefs and customs!

all i want to know is if any of you have seen some pretty weird, wonderful, but what may seem strange to some of us, as offerings to buddha by your friends and family.

from day to day i love to see what my wife, family and friends offer. it could be anything from a bottle of red fanta, pigs heads, ducks, fruit, rice, sauages, flowers and the list goes on and on.

so what about you guys?

While surely a few folks are making such offerings to Buddha, I think you'll find more of those aforementioned items being offered to random/misc. spirits and ancestors. Even in this largely superstitious society, I think most acknowledge that Buddha is no longer exists in a form that can grant anything to you in return and that offerings to him would be pointless.

:)

Edited by Heng

Ancestors, spirits, Buddha, as noted, up to them. The thing that amazes me is that the dogs never seem bother the offerings. Pigs head, duck, chicken etc if put in a garbage bag would be ripped open and the goodies gone in record time, but the dogs seem to ignore the offerings.

I believe every person on this earth ,has the right to practice THEIR religion as they wish!

... as long as they don't get in the face of another with their beliefs that's fine.

Totally different meaning, Red Fanta, rice and food are offered to the local Spirits to attract customers.  Pigs heads, ducks are Chinese influences are offered to the ancestors if you are Chinese or if you like to do it  Chinese way.   You can be a Farang and offer Pigs heads to the spirits no one will bother you.  Nothing to do with Buddha whatsoever.

SNV30362.JPG

Offer Red/ Green Fanta to HER!!!    

Edited by Maccheroncini

Heng and Maccheroncini are correct. The offerings you see at spirit houses and to the figure you see in Maccheroncini's post (who is Mae Nang Kwak, the goddess of prosperity) are offerings to animistic spirits and have nothing to do with Buddha or Buddhism. The average Thai has blended ancient beliefs with Buddhism to form their overall religious system. A significant number of modern Thai Buddhist monks reject the animistic rituals. Some don't.

I find offering anything to any mythical beings or spirits frankly ridiculous, but I probably shouldn't say that. However long I'm here I don't think I will ever get used to seeing bottles of Fanta opened and with a straw on the plinth. I first thought it was a form of vandalism or disrespect, maybe by a drunken tourist :D . I'd like to say I'd seen something unusual, but I haven't.

<br>Being somewhat less judgmental than the poster above I only watched and wondered, "why is it always fanta?"<br>

To please the Fantoms of course. :D

If it was Phanta it would work as well.

Edited by animatic

Nonsense.

My wife says that red is Chulalongkorn's colour - Rama V.

She always offers red roses and sometimes drinks.

You will probably have observed that this King is possibly more popular than Buddha.

Nonsense.

My wife says that red is Chulalongkorn's colour - Rama V.

She always offers red roses and sometimes drinks.

You will probably have observed that this King is possibly more popular than Buddha.

I'd say that I think Baddha has a bigger following, but I might be accused of disrespect, so I won't :D .