Roasted Chicken

smedly

The street roasted chicken franchises you see all over town here (the ones enclosed in a covered box not the open air ones) sometimes offer two flavors of chicken, one milder and one Isaan spice. I think the milder one is also flavored but it may possibly be OK for you, you should at least give it a try.

The street roasted chicken franchises you see all over town here (the ones enclosed in a covered box not the open air ones) sometimes offer two flavors of chicken, one milder and one Isaan spice. I think the milder one is also flavored but it may possibly be OK for you, you should at least give it a try.

I think the name of the ones in the "covered box" is 5 Star Chicken.

Most of the supermarkets have cooked and unflavoured chicken,as well as fried and flavoured chicken.Also the market opposite the big temple in south pattaya has several stands that sell them especially in the early morning and night time.

I don't mind the chicken that's had a marinade put over it, as I remove the skin and don't eat it anyway, but I don't like the chickens they sell by the roadside that are roasted with lots of leaves inside - they "leave" (sorry for the pun) a pervasive taste all through the meat that I find unpleasant. :bah:

For a plain roast chicken I have two suggestions. Firstly, on Thappraya Road as you go down the hill towards South Pattaya from Soi Pratumnak on top of the hill, there's a place on the left with a large yellow sign that says "EUROPEAN ROAST CHICKEN". I'm guessing it's a few hundred yards before the Minigolf Pub. It's been there for years (and I think it's still there but I'm not 100% certain), and sounds like it ought to sell what you want. I've never tried it myself as it's never been convenient, plus it seems to have strange opening hours. Has anyone tried this place, and is it any good (and is it still there???)? :unsure:

My second suggestion is to find a decent farang bar serving food or restaurant, and buy the roast chicken from them. Most places will do a takeaway for you, though it won't be as cheap as a roadside stand. You can be pretty sure it will be what you are looking for, though. I used to do this in Patong Beach when I stayed in Phuket, and it worked well. :P

Hope that helps!