Gin Kaow

nickmanchester2

I went to the dentist today and when he looked into my mouth, he said gin kaow to his assistant - so I think that is 'eat rice' yeah? but as I had not eaten anything, I imagined that it meant that he was gonna make some money as I needed some work doing?

My bill was 1500 btw for a check up, 2 x-rays and a scale and polish - about 30 minutes and I am in Samui if that makes any difference.

If you're sure of the tones, and this is in fact what he said, my best guess would have been that he was telling his assistant to go ahead and go to lunch? Possible? I don't think I ever heard the expression "gin khao" used to mean that "this one is my meal ticket for today." If it was a first class clinic catering to farangs and upper class Thais, I don't find the prices to be remarkable--higher than in the northeast, maybe, but, as you said, you are in Samui.

sure he said กิน/gin

คาว

Lol. Yeah it could have been glin kao กลิ่นคาว - stinks of fish or something bad.

definately กลิ่นคาว :D:)

nickmanchester2 - next time brush the old pegs before you go.

Edited by hiero

กลิ่นคาว

glin kao. An 'l' after another consonant is dropped the vast majority of the time. In this case it gives you 'gin kao'. The literal word-for-word translation is fishy smell. The more precise phrasal translation is 'bad breath'. 'Glin or gin kao' is the most common way this is expressed in Thai. เหม็นคาว 'men kao' or word-for-word '[it] stinks of stinking fish' is another common way.