Mspaint Crashed

bdenner

MSPaint has crashed: Microsoft support (Australia) just fobbed me off, here is some extracts of our correspondance.

My initial inquiry:-

Hello there,

Operating system:

Windows xP Home V5.1 (Build 2600 xpsp2.2040919-1003: SP1)

MSpaint is not an application I use very often, just find it handy for screen dumps but it crashed a week ago and uninstalling with a new installation did not fix it. I did send off the automatic report to Microsoft.

Event Viewer Application Report

Faulting application mspaint.exe, version 5.1.2600.1106, faulting module mfc42u.dll, version 6.0.8665.0, fault address 0x00017103.

mfc42.dll is located in two folders but I was hesitant to play with them:

C:\Windows\System32

C:\Windows\WinSxS\X86………

A properties check on the two does not give me a clue which one was accessed as the ‘Last Access’ time does not match the time I attempted to run the application.

Any ideas?

Extracts from the “Engineer’s” reply:-
Dear Bxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Assisted Support. My name is Exxxx and I will be assisting you with your case involving Windows XP. Please note that you will be sent a customer satisfaction survey based on this service; we would greatly appreciate your taking the time to complete the survey once you are satisfied that the support process is finished.

* When you receive the error message again please do the following:

a. Left click on the option that states to view technical information "Click here".

b. Forward the following information from the Error Signature:

Appname: mspaint.exe

Appver: 5.1.2600.1106

Modname: mfc42u.dll

Modver: 6.0.8665.0

Offset: 00017103

- I would like you to capture a screen shot of the error message/issue. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Reproduce the problem/error message so that it appears on your screen.

2. Press the Print Screen (PrtScn) button on your keyboard.

3. Click on Start and then Run. Type in "mspaint" (without the quotation marks) and click OK. This will start Microsoft Paint.

???? MSpaint won’t Run ???? That’s the issue!! I have pasted it to a Word doc, hope you can make it out.

:o

Text in red was my response to the questions.

Response from MS.

Dear Bxxx,

Thank you for your response.

You appear to be experiencing problems with OEM licensed Windows XP from HP. Because your Microsoft product was preinstalled and distributed with your computer, your primary source for support is the personal computer manufacturer who provided your Microsoft software. For assistance with this particular problem you will need to directly contact the OEM, which is HP for assistance..........

Needless to say it’s way too hard for him and a cop out.

Any of you guys seen the problem and found a solution?

Did you install any new apps prior to the MSPaint failure? mfc42u.dll is a MS foundation class for Visual C++ and required for many windows apps. It is located in \windows\system32 folder and generally any other copies are in invalid locations for Windows.

It is possible it is corrupted or another program overwrote it with an older version on installation. Also, a virus/trojan could have replaced it.

The file size for mfc42u.dll (XP) is exactly 1MB. You could copy the file to a temporary folder and download another copy and replace it.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc42u

You will need to start windows in "Command mode", hit F8 when the system starts booting and select command prompt only. This will allow you to copy the downloaded file to the \windows\system32 otherwise windows will not allow you to replace it.

Did you install any new apps prior to the MSPaint failure?  mfc42u.dll is a MS foundation class for Visual C++ and required for many windows apps.  It is located in \windows\system32 folder and generally any other copies are in invalid locations for Windows.

Thank you for your reply: I have spent the last hour or so applying you recommendations without success.

No new apps were installed in 3 weeks prior to the application failure and MSPaint is the only routine I can find with a fault.

The downloaded version of mfc42u.dll was identical in size and revision etc. but last modified 1 July 2002 where mine was last modified 30 Aug 2002. After trying the downloaded version of mfc42.dll I tried the second version I had found during my initial investigations to no avail.

I have just completed another MSpaint uninstall (removing it from the install options on my boot CD) and checking the System32 folder to make sure it was deleted - It sure was. I then dragged it back out and it is still failing.

Anyway I guess can live without MSpaint, does not warrant reinstalling the whole operation system.

Thanks again

If you did a clean install and still had the same problem, I would do what  the MS support guy quite rightly suggested to you. These things sometimes happen with OEM installs. Don't blame MS, it's HPs problem.

Thanks for your input.

The operating system CD certainly looks like MS right down to the 25 digit serial number required to install it. This is a stand alone CD that came with my machine not the 4 CD pack System recovery CDs. On reflection, maybe I could have a look at them as they have never been in the NoteBook.

bdenner - I vaguely recall reading somewhere that MS Paint in XP can cause a system crash, if the file association(s) are not set properly. Apparently the callup in XP is different than earlier Windows versions. Something you may wish to check.

Also, when you did the reinstall, did you first uninstall paint and all its components? The correct procedure would have been as follows: (You'll need the Windows XP CD-ROM)

1. Click Start, Run and type "control appwiz.cpl,,2" (without quote marks) or alternatively, use the Add/Remove Programs applet, Add/Remove Windows Components

2. Double-click Accessories and Utilities

3. Double-click Accessories

4. Uncheck Paint and click OK, and OK again.

5. Click Next.

Windows should now uninstall Paint brush.

Insert your Windows XP CD in the ROM drive and repeat the above procedure, but enable the Paint entry in the 4th step and click Next. (The required files will be extracted from the Windows XP CD and Paint reinstalled.)

For many years now, all OEM's have been responsible for support of Windows OS installed on their computers. The reason for this is, many OEM's (if not all) modify the original Windows version, for their own purposes. They add "stuff" and take "stuff" out. This complicates efforts for service people, attempting to solve problems like yours. Very likely a program or driver HP added themselves, is the real culpert.

Your best bet is probably to contact HP or do a full reinstall of XP, if you have the OS only disk. (Don't forget to backup critical data.)

cheers and good luck :o

1. Click Start, Run and type "control appwiz.cpl,,2" (without quote marks) or alternatively, use the Add/Remove Programs applet, Add/Remove Windows Components

2. Double-click Accessories and Utilities

3. Double-click Accessories

4. Uncheck Paint and click OK, and OK again.

5. Click Next.

Windows should now uninstall Paint brush.

Insert your Windows XP CD in the ROM drive and repeat the above procedure, but enable the Paint entry in the 4th step and click Next. (The required files will be extracted from the Windows XP CD and Paint reinstalled.)

Thank you.

This is the proceedure I have been following since day one to reinstall MSpaint. Still crashes - Got me stuffed! Will try HP Support.

hi'

did you try to restore the file(.dll), as far as I know, it's possible to restore a file with a command prompt.

have to boot from windows cd and after hit "r" to bring up the command prompt, and then you can copy the correct dll to the windows/system32 directory.

but, you need to know w few commands ...

I won't make list. make a small search on microsoft site, and print them all.

francois