Dhl/Customs At It Again

imaneggspurt

Had a box arrive from the uk in 3 days, 11 days later its still on customs hold, its a broken sony satio phone a friend has sent me to fix, delcared at 65 pounds, they have just asked me for 7500 baht taxes , paid into a private bank account,,as you can imagine i have told them to <deleted> off and enjoy their ( broken ) phone ,.this is not the first time its happened either,,be aware, imports can be VERY expensive,.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my way of thinking , a broken anything is usefull only for parts , could you not have declared it as such say for $10.00 ? Over the years we have imported many component assemblies that were stripped and imported into Canada in a couple of packages as 'spare parts', no customs duty

Just a thought .

To my way of thinking , a broken anything is usefull only for parts , could you not have declared it as such say for $10.00 ? Over the years we have imported many component assemblies that were stripped and imported into Canada in a couple of packages as 'spare parts', no customs duty

Just a thought .

Thanks, but importing into Canada has no resemblance to Thailand , the phone was bought on ebay by a friend for 65 pounds, we included the payment receipt, there is no doubt that they think we are trying it on and they see this as a way to suppliment their wages,:angry: Edited by imaneggspurt

Well, Khun Abhisit is supposed to be clamping down on corruption so maybe the customs department should be second on his list, once he's sorted out the police!

Don't hold your breath.

DM

What would that do for the GDP figures?

Why not make a formal complaint I know rolling on the floor laughing but if you have private bank account details and instructions this would be a prime opportunity to get the press involved and write letters print his details and make an issue of it hel_l post it on Abhisits facebook page and let him now

If abhisit is going to start cleaning things up he can start with your one

If you are telling the truth that its a broken tel and have legitimate receipts and are being honest nothing will change until everyone that has an issue liek this complains and now there is a direct route to the PM (facebook) use it as a complaint for all the Corruption

Laughable yes but if you dont do shit and just accept the fact you have lost money then Som nom Nah

I am waiting on some Grips for my motorbike paid $25 on Ebay not sure how they are being shipped but any issues like that I will do Like I have suggested.

Seems DHL and FEDEX are the main culprits complaint letters to the US franchise office how is it theres no issue with USPS ?

If you do nothing nothing changes simple as that

• Like 2

Seems DHL and FEDEX are the main culprits complaint letters to the US franchise office how is it theres no issue with USPS ?

If you do nothing nothing changes simple as that

DHL is German, but the point is well-taken.  I would write a formal complaint to the DHL head office.

Why not make a formal complaint I know rolling on the floor laughing but if you have private bank account details and instructions this would be a prime opportunity to get the press involved and write letters print his details and make an issue of it hel_l post it on Abhisits facebook page and let him now

If you are telling the truth that its a broken tel and have legitimate receipts and are being honest nothing will change until everyone that has an issue liek this complains and now there is a direct route to the PM (facebook) use it as a complaint for all the Corruption

Laughable yes but if you dont do shit and just accept the fact you have lost money then Som nom Nah

What are the chances that his complaint will come to haunt him even more later. Disgruntled customs official might want to extract some revenge ph34r.gif

What are the chances that his complaint will come to haunt him even more later. Disgruntled customs official might want to extract some revenge ph34r.gif

Yes this was my thoughts also,.

I always have anything under 5000baht posted bog standard through the post office. There is a risk it won't turn up (not happened yet in 7 times) but they have never had any import charge.

DHL and other couriers however always seem to be checked.

You guys must be either Thai or have lived here long enough to start thinking like them.

Because this is exactly the attitude that festers corruption.

You guys must be either Thai or have lived here long enough to start thinking like them.

Nope, we are farang,but we have been here long enough to know that we wont make one iota of difference to the way thais work,if you think otherwise i wish you luck,.

Read the small print and disclaimers from any of the international couriers. Read the small print and disclaimers on eBay as well. When you ship ANYTHING of ANY COMMERCIAL VALUE to ANY OVERSEAS country, you MAY be liable to locally levied duties and taxes. End of story. Just because you have pieces of paper saying it's broken means nothing to Customs agents anywhere. As you already pointed out, IF it is repairable, it's worth something. Customs agents know that as well.

DHL, FedEx and UPS's CORE business is shipping stuff globally so in order to stay in business and protect that revenue stream, they are COMPELLED to observe the law regards verifying what people say is in the package is actually in the package. Just because you pay +45 quid to ship something to a mate on the other side of the planet, the cost does NOT preclude your goods from inspection and being evaluated for any duties and tariffs, broken or otherwise.

If you have any questions, come back and post.

Read the small print and disclaimers from any of the international couriers. Read the small print and disclaimers on eBay as well. When you ship ANYTHING of ANY COMMERCIAL VALUE to ANY OVERSEAS country, you MAY be liable to locally levied duties and taxes. End of story. Just because you have pieces of paper saying it's broken means nothing to Customs agents anywhere. As you already pointed out, IF it is repairable, it's worth something. Customs agents know that as well.

DHL, FedEx and UPS's CORE business is shipping stuff globally so in order to stay in business and protect that revenue stream, they are COMPELLED to observe the law regards verifying what people say is in the package is actually in the package. Just because you pay +45 quid to ship something to a mate on the other side of the planet, the cost does NOT preclude your goods from inspection and being evaluated for any duties and tariffs, broken or otherwise.

You are missing my point mate, the phone was to be sent back to the uk, also they want the 7750baht paid into a private bank account ( i have the bank account details ) .This is a little odd dont you think ..so to quote me the laws and customs here dont really tally .DHL are in on this for sure as the email is from them and dosent include their share/charges which is payable on delivery, ( which wont happen )

You are missing my point mate, the phone was to be sent back to the uk, also they want the 7750baht paid into a private bank account ( i have the bank account details ) .This is a little odd dont you think ..so to quote me the laws and customs here dont really tally .DHL are in on this for sure as the email is from them and dosent include their share/charges which is payable on delivery, ( which wont happen )

Why is the fact it was going to be sent back to the UK relevant? Dont get this...

Usually DHL will issue 2 invoices. One will be for their handling fee which is paid to them and one will be for import duty which, although they issue the charge advice, it is payable to a different account which is that of the Thai Customs.

How do you know this is a private account? Does it have someones name on it?

Why is the fact it was going to be sent back to the UK relevant? Dont get this...

Usually DHL will issue 2 invoices. One will be for their handling fee which is paid to them and one will be for import duty which, although they issue the charge advice, it is payable to a different account which is that of the Thai Customs.

Yes ,its a private bank account and an individuals name,. and you can import temporarily which i asked for,

Well, Khun Abhisit is supposed to be clamping down on corruption so maybe the customs department should be second on his list, once he's sorted out the police!

Don't hold your breath.

DM

What would that do for the GDP figures?

Dunno, but I suppose it would shorten his political life expectancy. ;)

"...and you can import temporarily which i asked for,"

I'm afraid you lose credibility. First you go the trouble of buying a "broken" phone which you then pay DHL's high fee to deliver to you in Thailand even though you intend to send it back? This makes no sense at all. Your receipt means nothing. I can print you a new on my laser printer, complete with whatever letterhead you choose and show the thing only cost a pound and a half. It sounds very much like you tried to game Customs and lost. If I'm wrong, accept my apology. But I don't think I am.

Edited by Igor

I always have anything under 5000baht posted bog standard through the post office. There is a risk it won't turn up (not happened yet in 7 times) but they have never had any import charge.

DHL and other couriers however always seem to be checked.

I concur with this post. Full face motorcycle helmet delivered to the door from the UK with just regular postage. All the hassle seems to be with people using courier services.

makes perfect sense, the broken phone is bought in europe and then sent to thailand, where a friend of the buyer lives, who had told him, that wages are low and people are skilled at repairs. so the plan is to have the phone repaired in thailand for small money, while a repair in europe would be inefficient because of the high labour costs, then the repaired phone goes back to the buyer in europe.<div><br></div><div>fear of retribution from a customs guy is rediculous, even if the complainers name is flagged, just let future packages for you be sent to your neighbour and you will have no trouble.</div><div>i concurr you should lodge a formal complaint, maybe not with the PM, but with DHL, the customs departement and/or the ministry responsible.</div>

Yes ,its a private bank account and an individuals name,. and you can import temporarily which i asked for,

Forward your complaint direct to DHL Thailand. The funny thing is that I had the same happening to me. And as we speak K. Nui from DHL has been in touch with me on these matters. If you need more of her contact details I can forward them to you. Just PM me.

Any savings in repair costs would easily be outweighed by freight charges even WITHOUT considering Customs BS charges and hassle, BOTH ways. The ONLY cost-effective method for something like this is to hand-carry.

BTW in 2007 UPS, largest of the lot, shipped mostly in the US, as always:

• Daily Delivery Volume: 15.8 million packages and documents
  • Daily U.S. Air Volume: 2.3 million packages and documents
  • Daily International Volume: 1.9 million packages and document

Anyone who ships anything into Thailand using Fed-Ex, DHL or UPS -- other than non-dutiable documents -- is either asking for grief or just has too much money and wants to give some away...

The first rule of shipping into Thailand is, don't use those shippers for anything...

Yep, it festers corruption, but also promotes longevity...