How Much To Pay The Mother In Law?

kunash

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show some balls. Would you pay money to your inlaws in your home country? Do you have to continually p4p even when married????

Yes I have helped out parents, in-laws and relatives in my own, and other a few other countries, mostly by working for free to help turn situations around.......I personally do not see anything wrong in that......and on occasion my assistance has been reciprocated, also much appreciated by me, although I help out quite simply when I can.........because I am able

I struggle to understand why many find this type on inter family support so alien...........perhaps in their families things were different.

Yes but this is done out of your own generosity and not part of a preplanned financial agreement. It's almost like renting your gf/wife with a long term agreement.

Like all things in Thailand, it is difficult to figure out what is going on, what is expected, what is considered stupid, etc, because most Thai people that you ask, will lie, for one reason or another. The very first thing that every foreigner should think is " am I getting told a lie?' And in almost every case, the answer is YES, even though that doesn't help you figure out what the truth is. I think it is generally understood that Thai women often get involved with men, any man, but especially farang men, because they expect to benefit financially. I mean, really, Thai people don't like us farang, they don't understand us, but they are trained from a young age, to agree with people who have more power. What a surprise, you meet a young lady, and she says she doesn't like Thai men, she doesn't even like Thai people, she LOVES farang, and we believe it, because in general, we don't like Thai people or Thai men. Thai people talk together, that is their major sport, hobby, education, and they learn things like Western men tend not to "box them". So then they say to us, that they used to have a Thai man, who "boxed them" and never paid for the kids, and drank too much, and we believe it. It might be true, but what we believe, that they will appreciate and love a man who does not "box" them, who actually pays his bills, who has some ethics and morals, well that just isn't the case! They do not usually think well of you/us, they usually think we are stupid.. And this doesn't have to be a love relationship, can be your maid. You pay more then Thai people do, and expect less work, and don't make her work 7 days a week, and don't wake her up at 10pm to empty your car of the shopping bags, and well we think she will appreciate this nice working atmosphere. But holy cow, she doesn't! She starts making excuses to miss 2 days a week of work, starts cutting down her 7 hour work day to 2 hours, starts washing other people's laundry in your machine, with your soap and water, etc.

Okay, well there seems to be maybe 3 groups of farang men here, 1) they will pay anything, get screwed, pay too much, 2) people who pay almost nothing, but brag about how helpful they are, how they have changed a whole family from utter poverty to the middle class, and they only spent $5 and their brain power to set them up selling "water, ice and cold drinks". They continue for maybe a decade to sleep with the lady, who they claim they don't pay, but taught to fish so they can support all the family. And they feel very good and maybe better then most, how smart they are, to get sex for almost free, and to get to help people out of poverty at the same time, and well a divorce would cost them many thousands of times more, you pay either way, etc ...a la Ian Forbes.

And well my third group, which includes everyone else. I have found that among Thai people, most ladies have land from their family, the man then builds the house, which insures some amount of something, because the man can't take the house off the land. But keep in mind, the lady has contributed. So after the man marries and had 2 or 3 or 6 kids, he can leave, but the house is staying put. Many Thai men seem too cheap, they wouldn't leave their lady if it cost them 5 baht, my GOD, that is a lot of money down the drain!! They just go get another lady and ADD to their life, but they don't just leave.

There seems to be NO situations, that Thai people will turn down money, so if their family member gets a farang, they will try to get money. And it seems to me, that very few Thai people will do a lot for their family, or very much. I think they use their family as an excuse to need money, but if you give your Thai person some big amount of money, let's say you decide to give them 50,000 a month, or more, they will not forward most of that to their family, even their own children living in the village. They will continue to send the bare amount someone can live off, like 2000, and pocket the rest, gamble the rest, do something else with it, I suppose the best thing is if they save it. Maybe the best they do, is build a house, but they consider that their house. And legally it is their house. Just check it out, you know there are ladies making big bucks, but how many Yais are there driving a BMW? None. How many international school are there in the village? None.

Well anyway, most of you farang men have decided to turn in your Feminazi women, and get a Thai lady. The Feminazi paid half the bills, sometimes more then half, did probably all the work, like a Thai lady will do, had an education, can keep up with you, etc. Now you want a rice farmer lady, and you have to pay, it is cheaper then one day of maid service in London, so what is the problem?? If you have a child together, you just have to change every single thing you ever thought about raising children, for example. You just have to ignore it when you find your wife steals money from your wallet. I have found it ridiculously less expensive to live in Thailand, once I started locking ALL money, even 100 baht, in a safe, all day and all night, every day of the year. It is not an accident that ALL Thai furniture has locks on every drawer and every cupboard. In fact I would suggest this, locking up your money, as the first defense against the recession, or the low value of your money. You will be SHOCKED how much less food and everything costs, when there isn't someone picking away at your cash!

If you need a reminder of what life is in Thailand, then I suggest people go visit the local guest house, around mid-day, when all the Western guys are treating their hookers to breakfast. You don't find Japanese guys, Chinese guys, Thai guys, paying for sex, then treating them like girlfriends. You do however, see many Western men, who seem to be confused about the transaction, who are nicer then everyone else. Maybe there is a reason for people to think we are stupid? I think we are generally just nice people, but that is not something that is respected here, so why do it????? The Op's question, how much to pay the MIL??? Do you really think Asian people are asking themselves this question? Do you ever hear about your lady's boyfriend from China who is paying 20K a month, the man from Korea who is paying something, the man from anywhere that is Asia? No, because Asians are used to have prostitution in their world, and don't lose their minds over a girl. You do hear however, about the German guy, the Swedish guy, the UK guy, the American guy ...usually all at once, and they are described as being stupid buffalo, and girls brag about how many ways and times they scammed them out of money ...often the man is sitting right next to them, then they also ask if I know any other farangs who might want them. Personally, I would think it would be embarrassing to admit I was with someone for money, but people here seem to think it is embarrassing to be with anyone, if they are not getting money. The most embarrassing thing, of this whole problem, to me, is the girls and their bragging about how bad they treat their boyfriend/ husband, how NICE the man is to them, and yet how they manage to fuc_k them over in every way a person could possibly think of. At first I thought the ladies were admitting their mistakes, as in "he was so wonderful, and I took advantage and lost him" but NO, it was "he was so nice, so thoughtful, so kind, so generous, he BOUGHT ME this, and that, and this and that ...( a never ending list) and he massaged me, and he took care of the baby, and I didn't have to clean, or have a job, or take care of the baby, and he did all the paperwork, and all the everything work, while I just laid in bed for 2 years, all I did was take yaa-baa, and other drugs, and my nice husband did everything ...and well when I kept threatening to kill him, he decided to go back to his country."

Anyway, it seems best if farang people want to pay a salary, because your lady is no longer working, but just taking care of you ...why don't you just decide how much that is worth to you, give that, and leave her family and all that, up to her? I assume that most of you are paying the lady's living expenses, she isn't paying rent, food, electric, and actually I know men who pay every single dime of the girls' life, then give them a salary of 20,000 baht a month, just to save. I know a guy who has been doing this for 10 years while he works for a 5 star hotel in China, she gets a hotel room to live in, all her food for free, laundry, maid, use of the gym, the pool, she is living like a queen and banking 20K a month, plus extra money for birthdays and holidays, etc. She is a short, chubby, dark girl from Nan, who would have no chance of this life otherwise. Then he buys her tickets to go to Nan and visit her family twice a year, while he whores around in BKK ...paying for that again. What a nice life! For all of you who think you could never have this in your home country, I am not sure. Maybe you could, if you were willing to part with as much money as you end up missing in Thailand, for whatever reasons.

Have any of you tried? Go up to a woman in London, and tell her you want to pay for her entire life, and her family, and see what happens. Tell her you just want to spend a few weeks a year with her, while you go work on an oil rig, or in Iraq, or whatever, and that you will pay for her to go to university, pay for a house in the country, buy her a car, etc, I think you will have more success then you might expect. And I doubt those ladies will be stealing cash out of your wallet, and coming up with sick buffalo stories. And they probably won't already have 3 children "living in the village" with Yai while they whore around BKK.

• Like 2

If you miss a few months payments, do they repossess your wife/gf?

And what about fees for late payment?

What some people will do to be relevant.

You don't even know what these people are capable of.

A trial will convince you.

do you think THAI men pay anything to their MIL ?

if they leave their own wife and children, in most cases they even do not pay them anything...

so why play ATM ?

you get money for free for doing nothing ?

would you pay your MIL in your home country ????

if they leave their own wife and children, in most cases they even do not pay them anything...

so why play ATM ?

Many Thai men actually give their entire pay check to their wife, who then is in charge of the monthly finances.

It's just that this isn't usually the case among the lower peasant classes that so many westerners here find themselves among, and sadly regard as the 'average' Thai.

Response to the compendium of Issan clichés.

Ya I did all those things and got a great looking 18 year old lady from Louisiana. I figure I paid her 50,000 US dollars a year. We lived together for a couple of years. She went to college and dancing school. She was really great in bed too. I became friends with her mother and got her a job and helped her out when necessary. I gotta tell you her father didn’t care for me much because I was older than him. She wasn’t much around the house. In fact she was a slob but she sure looked good.

I used to take her to strip clubs with me. She liked going. One night she had a little too much to drink and entered the amateur night contest. She won.

Later the club called and offered her a job and she started making a grand a night. Needless to say she got addicted to drugs, left me and ended up supporting a lesbian dance choreographer.

I left for Thailand to find a farm girl who couldn’t dance very well.

Last I heard my young friend from the States had a 54 year old insurance agent and was trying to kick drugs.

Her mother still writes.

so why play ATM ?

Many Thai men actually give their entire pay check to their wife, who then is in charge of the monthly finances.

It's just that this isn't usually the case among the lower peasant classes that so many westerners here find themselves among, and sadly regard as the 'average' Thai.

Change many to most and yes it is the case among farmers too. Just a wild guess but I bet you don't speak Thai.

Like all things in Thailand, it is difficult to figure out what is going on, what is expected, what is considered stupid, etc, because most Thai people that you ask, will lie, for one reason or another. The very first thing that every foreigner should think is " am I getting told a lie?' And in almost every case, the answer is YES, even though that doesn't help you figure out what the truth is. I think it is generally understood that Thai women often get involved with men, any man, but especially farang men, because they expect to benefit financially. I mean, really, Thai people don't like us farang, they don't understand us, but they are trained from a young age, to agree with people who have more power. What a surprise, you meet a young lady, and she says she doesn't like Thai men, she doesn't even like Thai people, she LOVES farang, and we believe it, because in general, we don't like Thai people or Thai men. Thai people talk together, that is their major sport, hobby, education, and they learn things like Western men tend not to "box them". So then they say to us, that they used to have a Thai man, who "boxed them" and never paid for the kids, and drank too much, and we believe it. It might be true, but what we believe, that they will appreciate and love a man who does not "box" them, who actually pays his bills, who has some ethics and morals, well that just isn't the case! They do not usually think well of you/us, they usually think we are stupid.. And this doesn't have to be a love relationship, can be your maid. You pay more then Thai people do, and expect less work, and don't make her work 7 days a week, and don't wake her up at 10pm to empty your car of the shopping bags, and well we think she will appreciate this nice working atmosphere. But holy cow, she doesn't! She starts making excuses to miss 2 days a week of work, starts cutting down her 7 hour work day to 2 hours, starts washing other people's laundry in your machine, with your soap and water, etc.

Okay, well there seems to be maybe 3 groups of farang men here, 1) they will pay anything, get screwed, pay too much, 2) people who pay almost nothing, but brag about how helpful they are, how they have changed a whole family from utter poverty to the middle class, and they only spent $5 and their brain power to set them up selling "water, ice and cold drinks". They continue for maybe a decade to sleep with the lady, who they claim they don't pay, but taught to fish so they can support all the family. And they feel very good and maybe better then most, how smart they are, to get sex for almost free, and to get to help people out of poverty at the same time, and well a divorce would cost them many thousands of times more, you pay either way, etc ...a la Ian Forbes.

And well my third group, which includes everyone else. I have found that among Thai people, most ladies have land from their family, the man then builds the house, which insures some amount of something, because the man can't take the house off the land. But keep in mind, the lady has contributed. So after the man marries and had 2 or 3 or 6 kids, he can leave, but the house is staying put. Many Thai men seem too cheap, they wouldn't leave their lady if it cost them 5 baht, my GOD, that is a lot of money down the drain!! They just go get another lady and ADD to their life, but they don't just leave.

There seems to be NO situations, that Thai people will turn down money, so if their family member gets a farang, they will try to get money. And it seems to me, that very few Thai people will do a lot for their family, or very much. I think they use their family as an excuse to need money, but if you give your Thai person some big amount of money, let's say you decide to give them 50,000 a month, or more, they will not forward most of that to their family, even their own children living in the village. They will continue to send the bare amount someone can live off, like 2000, and pocket the rest, gamble the rest, do something else with it, I suppose the best thing is if they save it. Maybe the best they do, is build a house, but they consider that their house. And legally it is their house. Just check it out, you know there are ladies making big bucks, but how many Yais are there driving a BMW? None. How many international school are there in the village? None.

Well anyway, most of you farang men have decided to turn in your Feminazi women, and get a Thai lady. The Feminazi paid half the bills, sometimes more then half, did probably all the work, like a Thai lady will do, had an education, can keep up with you, etc. Now you want a rice farmer lady, and you have to pay, it is cheaper then one day of maid service in London, so what is the problem?? If you have a child together, you just have to change every single thing you ever thought about raising children, for example. You just have to ignore it when you find your wife steals money from your wallet. I have found it ridiculously less expensive to live in Thailand, once I started locking ALL money, even 100 baht, in a safe, all day and all night, every day of the year. It is not an accident that ALL Thai furniture has locks on every drawer and every cupboard. In fact I would suggest this, locking up your money, as the first defense against the recession, or the low value of your money. You will be SHOCKED how much less food and everything costs, when there isn't someone picking away at your cash!

If you need a reminder of what life is in Thailand, then I suggest people go visit the local guest house, around mid-day, when all the Western guys are treating their hookers to breakfast. You don't find Japanese guys, Chinese guys, Thai guys, paying for sex, then treating them like girlfriends. You do however, see many Western men, who seem to be confused about the transaction, who are nicer then everyone else. Maybe there is a reason for people to think we are stupid? I think we are generally just nice people, but that is not something that is respected here, so why do it????? The Op's question, how much to pay the MIL??? Do you really think Asian people are asking themselves this question? Do you ever hear about your lady's boyfriend from China who is paying 20K a month, the man from Korea who is paying something, the man from anywhere that is Asia? No, because Asians are used to have prostitution in their world, and don't lose their minds over a girl. You do hear however, about the German guy, the Swedish guy, the UK guy, the American guy ...usually all at once, and they are described as being stupid buffalo, and girls brag about how many ways and times they scammed them out of money ...often the man is sitting right next to them, then they also ask if I know any other farangs who might want them. Personally, I would think it would be embarrassing to admit I was with someone for money, but people here seem to think it is embarrassing to be with anyone, if they are not getting money. The most embarrassing thing, of this whole problem, to me, is the girls and their bragging about how bad they treat their boyfriend/ husband, how NICE the man is to them, and yet how they manage to fuc_k them over in every way a person could possibly think of. At first I thought the ladies were admitting their mistakes, as in "he was so wonderful, and I took advantage and lost him" but NO, it was "he was so nice, so thoughtful, so kind, so generous, he BOUGHT ME this, and that, and this and that ...( a never ending list) and he massaged me, and he took care of the baby, and I didn't have to clean, or have a job, or take care of the baby, and he did all the paperwork, and all the everything work, while I just laid in bed for 2 years, all I did was take yaa-baa, and other drugs, and my nice husband did everything ...and well when I kept threatening to kill him, he decided to go back to his country."

Anyway, it seems best if farang people want to pay a salary, because your lady is no longer working, but just taking care of you ...why don't you just decide how much that is worth to you, give that, and leave her family and all that, up to her? I assume that most of you are paying the lady's living expenses, she isn't paying rent, food, electric, and actually I know men who pay every single dime of the girls' life, then give them a salary of 20,000 baht a month, just to save. I know a guy who has been doing this for 10 years while he works for a 5 star hotel in China, she gets a hotel room to live in, all her food for free, laundry, maid, use of the gym, the pool, she is living like a queen and banking 20K a month, plus extra money for birthdays and holidays, etc. She is a short, chubby, dark girl from Nan, who would have no chance of this life otherwise. Then he buys her tickets to go to Nan and visit her family twice a year, while he whores around in BKK ...paying for that again. What a nice life! For all of you who think you could never have this in your home country, I am not sure. Maybe you could, if you were willing to part with as much money as you end up missing in Thailand, for whatever reasons.

Have any of you tried? Go up to a woman in London, and tell her you want to pay for her entire life, and her family, and see what happens. Tell her you just want to spend a few weeks a year with her, while you go work on an oil rig, or in Iraq, or whatever, and that you will pay for her to go to university, pay for a house in the country, buy her a car, etc, I think you will have more success then you might expect. And I doubt those ladies will be stealing cash out of your wallet, and coming up with sick buffalo stories. And they probably won't already have 3 children "living in the village" with Yai while they whore around BKK.

That's a lot of reading...

I think this is a fair summary of your essay:-

==========================================================================================

Most Thais are liars and will cheat you. They are lazy and will try to get away with less work for more money. They think only of money and have no genuine feelings for their western husbands or friends – in fact they dislike us.

Western men are stupid and easily cheated whoremongers who all complain that they were previously married to “feminatzi”. We all pay 000's of baht to our wives or g/f's who lay in bed all day.

Asian men know how to treat a prostitute and never buy them breakfast.

==========================================================================================

Nice rant, but I think we've heard it all before many, many, times (maybe not in such eloquent terms).

Now where's that yawning emoticon ?

Edited by chickenslegs

so why play ATM ?

you get money for free for doing nothing ?

would you pay your MIL in your home country ????

Of course if she was looking after the children for a couple of days a week while my wife worked.........I'd make sure she didn't go short......wouldn't you??

farang ting tong...

This is 2010 and you don't have to pay for a Thai girl anymore...

Sure there are ones you can pay for but there is also an abundance of "normal" Thai girls.. educated/single/financially independant just waiting on the sidelines like wall flowers to be picked up...

Find them in the gym / sports clubs not in your local massage or go go bar....

Anyone who pays for a Thai wife and family with all the information at hand now on the internet is just bonkers... IMHO..

Anyway upto you...makes interesting reading....

Spot on!!! but there are still idiots out there. I know of a girl that was sent to work in a bar at 14 years old, went on to massage, karoke and then at 18 years old Coyote in Phuket. An English guy that worked as a diver married her after 3 months and immediatly shes expecting. 2 years on he has had to return to the U.K alone as hasnt enough money....she works in the dive shop and he was working also, so why couldnt they live on their salaries??? simple, he initially bought her out of the Coyote bar with an agreed sum to pay her each month for her family and that can never stop...if it does, the marriage is over.........if the so called average salary of a Thai is 6,000 a month, how then do the Thais send 4,000 a month to the MIL.....start as you mean to go on, and pay nothing.

The very day I got my first job six years ago, my wife ( then girlfriend ) said, "you'll have to be paying 2,000 to my mom monthly." I refused, and if I had been sensible, that was the day I'd have left her. After the birth of my daughter, she wanted her mother to be the maid for the same 2,000. I refused, and I can't really explain what they did to me, but I stayed on because of my daughter. I bought a car in her name last year, and from the first week her brother kept coming to ask to borrow the car every weekend for one month, and I refused on each occasion. Three months later, she ran off with the car to stay with a Cameroonian. When they couldn't pay, she came back begging.

If you say no, let your no be always no. Just be aware that they'll keep coming back every few months. But like you said, they've not asked you for anything.

I figure most Western men support their MIL's whether they realize it or not. I hear all these guys bragging that they don't pay a cent while their in-laws collect bottles for cash, then they turn around and talk about how they spend 25,000 baht a month minimum... and they're 'Cheap Charlie's', too. The math makes no sense.

I wonder what the percentage of men donating funds to the family are truely happy with this arrangement.Paying them to little or to much will not buy respect.

Mate, im quickly starting to think that respect is the only thing that ISNT for sale in this country :unsure:

As this topic is actually about Mothers-in-Law I will just add this -- My (unofficial) MIL was a sweetheart; probably was about 15 years old when she had her daughter -- she was in many ways much nicer than her daughter and whom the daughter adored ... I paid for the MIL's final medical expenses and funeral... can't say more...

And well my third group, which includes everyone else. I have found that among Thai people, most ladies have land from their family, the man then builds the house, which insures some amount of something, because the man can't take the house off the land.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, I've seen video of a guy having a house destroyed in an act of revenge against an ex. He had kept all the receipts from when it was built and when the police arrived he simply explained that he was removing his property and they agreed with him, so the house was no more.

Yep, I tried that

She took 600,000 UKP off me in the divorce, she was 50 and we didn't even have sex very often.

No sick buffalo stories in the UK but plenty of domestic violence stories ........ same same!

Edited by sarahsbloke

The wisdom of Billy Wilder -- from the screenplay of 'The Apartment' (Oscar for Best Picture 1960) -- BUD (Jack Lemmon) FRAN Shirley MacLaine

BUD (shrugging)

It's just that I'm the kind of guy

who can't say no -- I don't mean to

girls -- I mean --

FRAN

You mean to someone like Mr.

Sheldrake.

BUD

I guess so.

FRAN

I know so. He's a taker.

BUD

A what?

FRAN

Some people take, some people get

took -- and they know they're

getting took -- and there's nothing

they can do about it.

There are plenty of guys on TV who are takers as in 'No Thai girl would ever get away with doing that to ME!" ;

I guess, however, I am one of those who gets took -- but every time I find those 'hard enough to hammer nails' t-ts in my face,

I tend not to worry about it.

• Like 1

I will have to disagree with you, 70 percent of Thais are farmers (live in rural villages), by your definition 'peasant class'.

http://www.asiarooms...population.html

Therefore the average Thai must fit this profile.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I wouldn't be so sure of that, I've seen video of a guy having a house destroyed in an act of revenge against an ex. He had kept all the receipts from when it was built and when the police arrived he simply explained that he was removing his property and they agreed with him, so the house was no more.

Smart man builds his house of wood.

The wooden houses you see prebuilt in the depots. They build it on your rented land withing a few weeks. Then should there be issues, you simply have it dismantled and moved to your new GF's land. :D

Smart man builds his house of wood.

The wooden houses you see prebuilt in the depots. They build it on your rented land withing a few weeks. Then should there be issues, you simply have it dismantled and moved to your new GF's land. :D

Brilliant! :D

OP what you have got to ask yourself,,if you fell on hard times,had jack shit,would they the MIL +FIL take care of you.(food ,somewhere to stay etc)Only you will no the answer to this.If YES then why .

I'm pretty sure that if I fell on hard times I could go and live on the family farm, but I don't really fancy becoming a farmer in the deepest, darkest depths of northern Thailand. No internet, how would I survive!

ahhh sarasbloke didn't you no that's where the REAL thai people live, outside of the TOURIST HOTSPOTS,also no problem with being a farmer if your thai,FIL owns approx 3000 rai and does

quite well off it, living on a farm?no not our family,personally i could not live in a TOURIST HOTSPOT or BKK,cluttered with plastic people (thai & falang) alike :rolleyes:.

i think i would have trouble living anywhere near people who use the term plastic people.