Show 500 $ Or Leave The Country!

george

Show 500 $ or Leave the Country: Thai Immigration to Burmese Tourists

BANGKOK: -- The Thai authorities have reportedly sent back the Burmese tourists who do not have at least 500 US dollar.

The Thai authorities have ordered its immigration department to restrict tourists from the South Asian countries, including Burma, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, unless they have that much of amount in pocket.

"When I reached the airport they (immigration officers) asked me to show 500 dollars. Since I just came to visit my relatives I was not carrying that much of money, and I was sent back to Burma. I came here today for the second time only after once again going through a long process in Burma to obtain a fresh visa," said a Burmese woman, who arrived Bangkok, now with the prescribed amount of cash.

According to her, at least 19 Burmese, including 8 women, were sent back to Burma from Thailand on June 19.

She also gave an eyewitness account of how tourists from other south Asian countries, who are unable to show money, were sent back to their respective places.

The new law was enacted to prevent tourists from overstaying in the country and getting illegal employment without proper work permits. The law requires tourists to give the proof of financial stability by showing a minimum of 500 US dollars in possession.

But since possessing dollars is illegal in Burma, tourists reportedly have to procure the US currency secretly.

--mizzima.com 2005-06-28

So, it's illegal in Burma to possess dollars?  But the junta in Rangoon needs dollars so badly, they require American $5 greenbacks to be presented at the entrances to the People's Republic of Myanmar?

Actually the last time I went up to Tachilek (about a month ago) they no longer require US dollars and will take baht as well. I'll continure to carry a $5 bill with me just in case they change back unexpectedly.

Mai Sai has taken baht for almost as long as I can remember. I do remember paying $ once around 15-20 years ago at the Mai Sai border, but not since then. In the last two years, I've averaged one ot two trips per month into Tachilek, and $$ have never been mentioned to me....

Thought I had read somewhere on this forum about the Great Mr. T telling immigration officials to be friendlier to foreigners. My bag, that was a few weeks ago and no longer valid. TIT

My wife and I went to Burma a few years back and I had to pay $5 US and she got in free.

It felt like we were going to a amusement park. I looked for the sign to see if she was tall enough to ride the rides. Silly really, but they need cash and all was well.

Mai Sai has taken baht for almost as long as I can remember. I do remember paying $ once around 15-20 years ago at the Mai Sai border, but not since then. In the last two years, I've averaged one ot two trips per month into Tachilek, and $$ have never been mentioned to me....

it should be Mae Sai, Arjan. I as there 2 years ago and cross to Tachilek, can't remember how much Baht I'd payed. I think 100 Baht per person?. The signboard stated you can pay in either US$ or Thai Baht.